Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Customizing my SOGs

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Customizing my SOGs
on: December 03, 2015, 09:45:36 PM
Happy Birthday to me!!! I received a package with some SOG stuff in it today (beginning to be a regular occurrence at my house :D). I ordered two v-cutters, a pair of scissors, and a 1/4" adapter.

First up was the PowerLock. I intended to remove the knife and replace it with a v-cutter. After trying several different configurations to try to make it work, I eventually ended up with the v-cutter where the saw had been, and put the saw in place of the knife. The v-cutter is supposed to be a left-side tool, but with the use of a washer it works reasonably well in the right-side slot. It rubs the handle a little, but the implement is flexible enough to allow it to easily slide into place. :tu: I also had to bring the cap-lifter over with the rest of the drivers, and sent the awl over with the 1/4" adapter to make it work. A little bit of Loctite and some fine tuning the tightness of the pivot screws and my Knifeless PowerLock is done-zo!

Next up is my SwitchPlier 2.0. I had to deviate from my original intention on this one, at least for now, but i am happy with the end result. I wanted to also have this one as a knifeless setup, featuring scissors, file, cap lifter, can opener, philips. However, as the scissors need to be on the left side, it necessitated the file go on the right, which caused two issues. 1) The tip of the file slightly contacted the plier head, and the corner of its tapered tip caught on the cut-out in the SP plier head. 2) For some reason, with the scissors and pliers deployed, the file leans into the body of the tool, making it difficult to stow the pliers without holding the file out of the way with a free finger. So out with the file, and in with the plain edge blade that I had previously removed from the PowerLock. Not a bad deal, though, because it is a really nice blade. Not knocking the combo edge blade, by any means - it is crazy sharp. I just prefer a PE blade most of the time. :tu:

I do have one more modification to tackle, but my Pocket PowerPlier is in the back of my RAV4, which my Wife has at work. So that one will have to wait until later. I am foreseeing some issues with putting a v-cutter in the PPP. Not the least of which is the fact that the tool probably will not be able to close all the way. But we will burn that bridge when we get there ;)

I can tell you one thing, SOGs are not as easily plug-and-play as I was imagining. The implements definitely need to go in in a specific way in order to work. They are easier to work on than the Leathermans that I've messed with, though.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:20:15 PM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Customizing my SOGs
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 10:03:26 PM
Nicely done mate.   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 10:27:27 PM
First off, Happy Birthday! Second, well done man!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Vinjints

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 10:53:06 PM
Your thoughts on the scissors?  My first take was going to be to replace the combo blade with the serrated since I don't carry any other form of serrations. Plus have the scissors already on my explorer.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 11:00:19 PM
Nice! My SP2 has the same tool set. :salute:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 11:15:36 PM
Your thoughts on the scissors?  My first take was going to be to replace the combo blade with the serrated since I don't carry any other form of serrations. Plus have the scissors already on my explorer.

SOG scissors aren't all that good. Wingman scissors are a lot better, IMO. But I really prefer having scissors, even bad ones, over a lot of other implements. But I still like SOG's, they are functionally really good, they just don't work well on some materials, like cloth. If you already have a set of scissors with your edc that you like, I would go with the dedicated SE.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:17:49 PM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 02:10:47 AM
Nice loadouts. I especially like that bladeless Powerlock, i think im gonna copy your setup someday.

Just a heads up in the Pocket PowerPlier, ive seen the v-cutter installed in a PPP exactly how you have it in the Powerlock, on the right rather than left, with a washer next to it. It is also possible to fit 3 long tools in a PPP, with a saw and a blade next to each other (I forget which side) on one side, and the other long tool on the other.

Good luck, SOGs are a ton of fun to play with :salute:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 08:54:53 PM
Well, my poor Wife didn't make it home from work until 2030 yesterday (last surgery didn't start until 1830! (She is a recovery nurse)) so I did not get the opportunity to work on my PPP until today. But I am back out at work today, and after knocking out my first day of the tour checks, I got started tearing my PPP apart. I replaced the combo edge blade with the v-cutter and added the 1/4" adapter. It rapidly went back together with minimal fuss and now I have another Knifeless setup. :tu: Looking forward to giving my modified tools some carry time so I can see if I like the load-outs I've ended up with, or if I need to make some modifications.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 09:15:32 PM
Where's your dedicated folder?  :pok: :pok: ???
SAW

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:19:52 PM
:cheers:

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 10:38:38 PM

:ahhh Well, I have several, but none that I really love carrying off-duty. Besides my C33, all my others are at least 4" closed. I am looking for something small enough to ride in my fifth pocket, so no larger than 3.5" closed. I think a SOG Flash I would be a good compact off-duty folder. I haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet, mostly due to price - but now that I am set-up on MTs (for now) I will start getting more serious about a companion for the PPP. Also, the Gerber mini Fast Draw looks good and is really affordable. Ka-Bar Dozier. Obviously, I will end up with all three :rofl:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 11:41:02 PM

:ahhh Well, I have several, but none that I really love carrying off-duty. Besides my C33, all my others are at least 4" closed. I am looking for something small enough to ride in my fifth pocket, so no larger than 3.5" closed. I think a SOG Flash I would be a good compact off-duty folder. I haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet, mostly due to price - but now that I am set-up on MTs (for now) I will start getting more serious about a companion for the PPP. Also, the Gerber mini Fast Draw looks good and is really affordable. Ka-Bar Dozier. Obviously, I will end up with all three :rofl:
Let me help you with that dilemma!
Get a CRKT M16. The 3" versions are very slim, and make a great small folder. Better than a Gerber, and very affordable. Big 5 is selling them for $18.99 until dec. 6 :pok:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 11:54:52 PM
How about a SOG Twitch.
 Nice job BTW.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 01:38:50 AM
Let me help you with that dilemma!
Get a CRKT M16. The 3" versions are very slim, and make a great small folder. Better than a Gerber, and very affordable. Big 5 is selling them for $18.99 until dec. 6 :pok:

I've been looking at M16s at the Base Exchange! I do like them. I don't know anything about Big5 but they are the same price at the BX :tu:

How about a SOG Twitch.
 Nice job BTW.

I like the Twitch - very sleek. A little more than I'd be looking to spend, though. But if I found one on sale, I'd do it.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks! :cheers:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 02:48:25 AM
I been hard using my P³ for over a month, i couldn't be happier.
It is slim and light, i can comfortably carry it in my cell phone pouch, enable me to carry my folders. Compound leverage is awesome, and the uncover handles are not as bad as PST series.
No outside accessible tools is not an issue because i can turn the entire tool inside out in a second. Gear of madness is overcame by using the tool partially open, handles at 90*.
Scissors are not great but good enough.

:multi:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 03:39:25 AM by Kampfer »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 03:10:21 AM
I been hard using my P³ for over a month, i couldnt be happier.
It is slim and light, i can confortablely carry it in my cell phone pouch, enable me to carry my folders. Compond levelage is awesome, and the uncover handles are not as bad as PST series.
No outside accessable tools is not an issue because i can turn the entire tool inside out in a second. Gear of madness is overgame by using the tool partially open, handles at 90*.

I agree 100%. The PPP punches well above it's weight. Great pocket tool - now if only SOG would make us a pocket clip to put on it!!!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 03:43:39 AM
I been hard using my P³ for over a month, i couldn't be happier.
It is slim and light, i can comfortably carry it in my cell phone pouch, enable me to carry my folders. Compound leverage is awesome, and the uncover handles are not as bad as PST series.
No outside accessible tools is not an issue because i can turn the entire tool inside out in a second. Gear of madness is overcame by using the tool partially open, handles at 90*.

(Image removed from quote.)
SOG!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
SAW

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 05:44:24 AM
Not the best MT I used but definitely the best in its weight class.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 07:42:04 PM
Just noticed something. You said when the scissors AND pliers deployed the file leaned a bit on the switchplier. Did you know you can deploy the scissors without opening the pliers? I don't see why you can't have the file in place to have your knife less set up. Was their a reason why you needed both deployed at the same time?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 09:00:02 PM
Just noticed something. You said when the scissors AND pliers deployed the file leaned a bit on the switchplier. Did you know you can deploy the scissors without opening the pliers? I don't see why you can't have the file in place to have your knife less set up. Was their a reason why you needed both deployed at the same time?

Good catch, Demel!!! Initially I was just deploying the scissors - pliers still stowed away, and all was well. I only discovered the issue when I accidentally fired the pliers when I was intending to unlock and stow the scissors. I tried to fold the pliers back up and could not. This is how I discovered that the file had actually skewed far enough into the center of the chassis that the plier-head was contacting the file. Hoping it was just a fluke, I tried duplicating the result and it did it every time. By tightening the pivot screw down more, the issue with the file improved some, but then the scissors would not operate properly. The scissors would not lock up, or if I got them to lock, when I tried to stow them, the spring would not disengage - which was preventing them from being able to stow at all (I believe the actuating arm was contacting the tabs that the piano-keys rest on). The over tightening of the screw was putting enough pressure on entire scissor assembly that the scissor-spring base and the scissor-body would not operate independently. It was beginning to get frustrating enough that I just decided to move on from the knifeless concept.

I could just always try to remember not to deploy scissors and pliers simultaneously, but I prefer the tool operate properly in all configurations.

I may reattempt the knifeless SP2 at some point by adding the file back in and see if I can overcome the issues. But that is low-priority at this point because as I carry my SOGs more and more, I am realizing that I don't really use a file as much as I thought. As far as ranking the common "long-slot" tools, my breakdown in terms of what I use the most is 1) scissors 2) knife 3) file 4) saw. Still trying to see where the v-cutter will fall into that ranking. I am hoping it will sort of straddle-the-gap between scissors and a knife, which is what my knifeless PPP will help me determine. Perhaps :think:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 09:59:59 PM

Good catch, Demel!!! Initially I was just deploying the scissors - pliers still stowed away, and all was well. I only discovered the issue when I accidentally fired the pliers when I was intending to unlock and stow the scissors. I tried to fold the pliers back up and could not. This is how I discovered that the file had actually skewed far enough into the center of the chassis that the plier-head was contacting the file. Hoping it was just a fluke, I tried duplicating the result and it did it every time. By tightening the pivot screw down more, the issue with the file improved some, but then the scissors would not operate properly. The scissors would not lock up, or if I got them to lock, when I tried to stow them, the spring would not disengage - which was preventing them from being able to stow at all (I believe the actuating arm was contacting the tabs that the piano-keys rest on). The over tightening of the screw was putting enough pressure on entire scissor assembly that the scissor-spring base and the scissor-body would not operate independently. It was beginning to get frustrating enough that I just decided to move on from the knifeless concept.

I could just always try to remember not to deploy scissors and pliers simultaneously, but I prefer the tool operate properly in all configurations.

I may reattempt the knifeless SP2 at some point by adding the file back in and see if I can overcome the issues. But that is low-priority at this point because as I carry my SOGs more and more, I am realizing that I don't really use a file as much as I thought. As far as ranking the common "long-slot" tools, my breakdown in terms of what I use the most is 1) scissors 2) knife 3) file 4) saw. Still trying to see where the v-cutter will fall into that ranking. I am hoping it will sort of straddle-the-gap between scissors and a knife, which is what my knifeless PPP will help me determine. Perhaps :think:
Good stuff. I want to eventually get my hands on a v cutter but sogs cost and shipping price for a single tool component is out of my comfort zone. The ppp seems like a better candidate for a blade less mt. The form factor on the switchplier makes it really comfortable using the blade.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 04:32:47 AM
Are you nice or naughty?  ;)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 05:14:37 AM

Naughty in the nicest way. How's that? :D

But seriously, what are you talking about? Lol

us Offline David

Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 05:44:18 AM
Looks good!   :tu:    Back when I carried SOG PLs and P3 I was always changing the tool load out.    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 05:55:50 AM

Someone is wishing for a V-cutter for Christmas.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 03:00:18 PM

Someone is wishing for a V-cutter for Christmas.
:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 10:21:08 PM
My customized Paratool  :multi:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 10:51:38 PM
All these different setups really get the cogs in the brain going  :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 11:38:36 PM

Very nice, Kam. Did u just get that Paratool?

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 11:52:16 PM

Very nice, Kam. Did u just get that Paratool?
Yes I just received it as Christmas pool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD