Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Customizing my SOGs

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: Customizing my SOGs
Reply #30 on: December 14, 2015, 07:26:08 PM
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 07:31:59 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #31 on: December 14, 2015, 07:31:09 PM
You spelled Urban wrong  :twak: :twak: :twak:
SAW

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 07:32:14 PM
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #33 on: January 03, 2016, 12:08:59 AM
My customized Paratool  :multi:
(Image removed from quote.)

Like the scissor addition! Need to add a pair to mine. :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #34 on: June 27, 2016, 11:38:33 PM
Just noticed something. You said when the scissors AND pliers deployed the file leaned a bit on the switchplier. Did you know you can deploy the scissors without opening the pliers? I don't see why you can't have the file in place to have your knife less set up. Was their a reason why you needed both deployed at the same time?

Good catch, Demel!!! Initially I was just deploying the scissors - pliers still stowed away, and all was well. I only discovered the issue when I accidentally fired the pliers when I was intending to unlock and stow the scissors. I tried to fold the pliers back up and could not. This is how I discovered that the file had actually skewed far enough into the center of the chassis that the plier-head was contacting the file. Hoping it was just a fluke, I tried duplicating the result and it did it every time. By tightening the pivot screw down more, the issue with the file improved some, but then the scissors would not operate properly. The scissors would not lock up, or if I got them to lock, when I tried to stow them, the spring would not disengage - which was preventing them from being able to stow at all (I believe the actuating arm was contacting the tabs that the piano-keys rest on). The over tightening of the screw was putting enough pressure on entire scissor assembly that the scissor-spring base and the scissor-body would not operate independently. It was beginning to get frustrating enough that I just decided to move on from the knifeless concept.

I could just always try to remember not to deploy scissors and pliers simultaneously, but I prefer the tool operate properly in all configurations.

I may reattempt the knifeless SP2 at some point by adding the file back in and see if I can overcome the issues. But that is low-priority at this point because as I carry my SOGs more and more, I am realizing that I don't really use a file as much as I thought. As far as ranking the common "long-slot" tools, my breakdown in terms of what I use the most is 1) scissors 2) knife 3) file 4) saw. Still trying to see where the v-cutter will fall into that ranking. I am hoping it will sort of straddle-the-gap between scissors and a knife, which is what my knifeless PPP will help me determine. Perhaps :think:

UPDATE: I finally decided to go knifeless on my SwitchPlier 2.0. I decided to go with my spare file since it is the only non-knife long tool I have available and I enjoy having a file even if I don't get a lot of use from them. The same issue is still happening as described above - the plier head will catch on the file tip if the scissors are out while stowing the plier head. But, that is a particular enough set of circumstances that I can pretty easily avoid it, and just as easily correct it if it happens. So, this is what I will be going with for the time bean. I am REALLY starting to prefer carrying a dedicated folder with me as opposed to relying on my multitool's blade. I will mostly carry the SP2 with my M16-10KS but I am getting itchy for something... beefier. Also, moving to Louisiana in less than a month so I need a good HD folder to fend off all those gators

PS - What's a time bean?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 06:52:46 PM
Just noticed something. You said when the scissors AND pliers deployed the file leaned a bit on the switchplier. Did you know you can deploy the scissors without opening the pliers? I don't see why you can't have the file in place to have your knife less set up. Was their a reason why you needed both deployed at the same time?

Good catch, Demel!!! Initially I was just deploying the scissors - pliers still stowed away, and all was well. I only discovered the issue when I accidentally fired the pliers when I was intending to unlock and stow the scissors. I tried to fold the pliers back up and could not. This is how I discovered that the file had actually skewed far enough into the center of the chassis that the plier-head was contacting the file. Hoping it was just a fluke, I tried duplicating the result and it did it every time. By tightening the pivot screw down more, the issue with the file improved some, but then the scissors would not operate properly. The scissors would not lock up, or if I got them to lock, when I tried to stow them, the spring would not disengage - which was preventing them from being able to stow at all (I believe the actuating arm was contacting the tabs that the piano-keys rest on). The over tightening of the screw was putting enough pressure on entire scissor assembly that the scissor-spring base and the scissor-body would not operate independently. It was beginning to get frustrating enough that I just decided to move on from the knifeless concept.

I could just always try to remember not to deploy scissors and pliers simultaneously, but I prefer the tool operate properly in all configurations.

I may reattempt the knifeless SP2 at some point by adding the file back in and see if I can overcome the issues. But that is low-priority at this point because as I carry my SOGs more and more, I am realizing that I don't really use a file as much as I thought. As far as ranking the common "long-slot" tools, my breakdown in terms of what I use the most is 1) scissors 2) knife 3) file 4) saw. Still trying to see where the v-cutter will fall into that ranking. I am hoping it will sort of straddle-the-gap between scissors and a knife, which is what my knifeless PPP will help me determine. Perhaps :think:

UPDATE: I finally decided to go knifeless on my SwitchPlier 2.0. I decided to go with my spare file since it is the only non-knife long tool I have available and I enjoy having a file even if I don't get a lot of use from them. The same issue is still happening as described above - the plier head will catch on the file tip if the scissors are out while stowing the plier head. But, that is a particular enough set of circumstances that I can pretty easily avoid it, and just as easily correct it if it happens. So, this is what I will be going with for the time bean. I am REALLY starting to prefer carrying a dedicated folder with me as opposed to relying on my multitool's blade. I will mostly carry the SP2 with my M16-10KS but I am getting itchy for something... beefier. Also, moving to Louisiana in less than a month so I need a good HD folder to fend off all those gators

PS - What's a time bean?
Ive never been a fan of multitool PE and combo blades. Most of my multis have been modded to have the blade removed, and replaced with something more useful, like scissors or a file, or a serrated blade. Its part of why I love pairing SAKs with my multi's

On a related note, I really love my Spyderco Native. I hear the Native 5 Lightweight is fairly affordable, and has a nice Full Flat Grind  in VG-10. :tu:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Offline mikevincent

• New User
Reply #36 on: July 20, 2016, 05:09:27 PM
I'm wanting to purchase a B63N-CP, but wanted to make sure that I can add a lanyard ring after the purchase. This looks like the place to find out. I looked on the Accessories page but didn't see a lanyard ring available-any ideas? Also, this is my first customization-do I just need a small allen wrench? Thanks.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #37 on: July 20, 2016, 08:18:53 PM
I'm wanting to purchase a B63N-CP, but wanted to make sure that I can add a lanyard ring after the purchase. This looks like the place to find out. I looked on the Accessories page but didn't see a lanyard ring available-any ideas? Also, this is my first customization-do I just need a small allen wrench? Thanks.

SOGs lanyard ring rides on the outside of the handles. You might just reach out to SOG on Facebook, or try to email them, if your purchase does not already have the lanyard ring installed. They may just mail you one. But it probably has one.

As fast as tools needed to work on your SOG - depends on how old your tool MT is. It may take an Allen key or maybe a socket. For reassembly, make sure you have some blue loc-tite because SOGS will work their way loose without it. SOG's website has good instructions for customers regarding care and maintenance, so check them out first :tu:

And be sure to post a lot of pics of your progress :salute: good luck
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%