Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

DIY wave pocket clip

au Offline bounding star

DIY wave pocket clip
on: December 08, 2015, 12:16:21 PM
With Christmas coming up, it's time to make some more pocket space  ;). I have a belt sheath I made a while back, but it is bulky and requires me to wear a belt, so I usually carry my wave in my pocket. I've had my eye on a pocket clip for a while, but in Australia they are a bit pricy for a bent piece of metal, at $15-20, so I made my own.

I started by downloading the 2d template from here https://www.tinkercad.com/things/iiwpXMmpfpf-leatherman-lanyard-ring-v01, and then printing and cutting it out, to get the shape for the attachment. I used a dremel cut-off wheel to get the rough shape from a broken saw blade, and after a lot of trouble with files on the hard metal, I got a bench grinder going to shape out the rest of the clip.

It's not perfect, there's a bit of a wobble and I had to modify the attachment so that the file could open when the clip is on. I will probably also round out the top corners which are a bit sharp. However, it fits nicely, has good spring to it and is smooth and wide so hopefully it won't start to "burrow".

I'd say it's a good option to have a go at making, if you don't want to spend anything, and you may learn a thing or two. If anyone wants to make their own I'll be happy to help.  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: DIY wave pocket clip
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 01:35:31 PM
Looks good.  I think with a little tweaking you'll get it snug.  Definitely smooth out those sharp edges. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 02:08:27 PM
Nice mod! A little grinding here and there and you will have it spot on.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 02:15:17 PM
Amazing work!!  :o

That looks even nicer than LM's clip :tu:
SAW

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 06:54:26 PM
Nice. I've only used the saws to make pocketclips so far.

us Offline hotworms

• Dog Walker
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 04:14:18 PM
Great job.
Survival is simple, just don't die.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 11:09:01 PM
Any updates??

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

au Offline bounding star

Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 01:36:02 PM
A month or so ago I found a proper lm clip on the cheap, so I ordered it. Since I made the clip it has become slightly discoloured with minor rust. I prefer the lm brand clip because it clips into the notch more securely, since that was the most fiddly part to make of my clip. The lm clip is much more polished and I don't think it will rust at all, and the edges are much smoother and more rounded making it easier to hold when using the tools.

Tips for anyone who wants to do this project is: Take your time with the notch that locks into the wave. That is the most important part of the clip, and the better you get it the better it will fit. Round the edges with a grinder, and test fit it to see if there are any uncomfortable spots when using the tools. Then if you are using a steel that might rust like that from a saw blade, paint it with some sort of laquer or coating to stop it from getting rust spots.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%