Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Olight vs Fenix

Offline firefightingjosh

Olight vs Fenix
on: December 09, 2015, 08:36:04 AM
So I am looking for a decent 18650(others can be considered..) flashlight. I don't care about size, I want as much distance as possible. It will be used to help see address's on late night fire calls. I have always loved Fenix lights, but I am open to any other brands within my price range of roughly $60USD. I was originally just going to find a fenix, but now I am considering Olight, anyone have insite on olight vs fenix?

lots of throw
lumans isn't super important
battery type isn't a big deal nor is how many batteries
obviously must be LED
would like to stay around 60 bucks
don't care how big this light is
stay away from trustfire type brands
doesn't need a bunch of fancy modes

thanks
Josh

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Olight vs Fenix
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 09:09:43 AM
You will need to be able to read the letters too, so I assume you are talking about a distance of a few metres (50..), throwwise.
Most 18650 lights, even those that are not throwers should work.

Fenix/olight have a few models that can throw light at a distance

I do have some extreme throwers, with small emitters and huge reflectors, spotlight like, but these are too big. Lasers, with a spill lens are also good.

The/a classic thrower was/is the Romisen RC-T601. Quality is similar to Fenix etc.

You may also consider a Maglite LED with the zooming head. The beam is not pretty, but you can zoom it so as to throw well.

I would also suggest that you get one of the cheap sk68 style 300Lm zooms ($4 or less) with AA batteries just for the fun of it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:11:12 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 11:44:44 AM
I have no experience with Olight so I'll just say this:

The Fenix E20 (2015 edition) is definitely a thrower and has some spill too. It feels solid and it is compact, output selection is done by a reverse clickie switch. At less than $40 it's hard to go wrong with it in my opinion. Worst case it becomes a glove box/tool box light if it doesn't work out the way you'd like.  :)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 09:42:23 PM
I have purschased a Fenix uc35 rechargeable flashlight. It goes from 14 50 180 480 960 lumens. has a throw of 200m. Is rechargeable with an micro usb cable and costed me 89 euros. It is a pretty expensive light but it ticked all my boxes. I espacially liked the side switch that you use to switch between modes. I like that the switch on the back is just for on/off and not 5.5 billion other functions.

I also saw the olight batoon s20ii. But i went with fenix because of the sideswitch for the different modes.

Sorry for the bad english guys :D

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 12:20:38 AM

Would not have guessed you were a non English speaker from this post.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 12:08:23 PM

Oh, i saw red lines under a couple of words and was not in the mood to correct them  :)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 03:15:46 AM

Oh, i saw red lines under a couple of words and was not in the mood to correct them  :)
I had to go back and find the misspelled stuff,  since I missed it the first time.  Your English is great,  dont sweat the small stuff, the natives (me) do bad speIling and poor grammars all the time.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%