Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Going Buck Wild.

toolguy · 1001 · 44273

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Re: Going Buck Wild.
Reply #210 on: February 08, 2016, 01:31:22 PM
The Buck 112 Ranger is a stout, and a bit heavy knife, but a little  easier carry than it's big brother, the model 110

Toolguy: You have done your homework well on this series   :salute: 

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #211 on: February 09, 2016, 12:39:34 AM
The Buck 112 Ranger is a stout, and a bit heavy knife, but a little  easier carry than it's big brother, the model 110

Toolguy: You have done your homework well on this series   :salute:

I'm still learning.I have a 2 dot 112 on the way.

I wanted to bid on another David Yellowhorse 112 last night.Before making any bid I research the bidding history.After seeing only two bidders vying for this model,I decided to sit this one out.These guys engaged in a clash of egos and bid this particular knife up to the final price of $445.00.This was two hundred dollars higher for which the same models sold,than in the past.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #212 on: February 10, 2016, 05:16:41 AM
My only Buck. A 392 Omni-Hunter. It was the hunting knife my dad bought me and it's skinned every deer I have ever killed plus a couple more.

It's by far the best skinning knife. However I want to get something smaller, or atleast not as tall, for actual cleaning and butchering.

It's too hard to poke into skin or cavities without destroying everything.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #213 on: February 11, 2016, 12:51:33 AM
That blade is certainly suited to skinning.

I just received several more Bucks today.Two current production fixed blades and a 2 dot 112 Ranger folder.

This is a model 102 Woodsman.

DSCN2869.JPG
* DSCN2869.JPG (Filesize: 189.36 KB)
DSCN2870.JPG
* DSCN2870.JPG (Filesize: 181.82 KB)
DSCN2871.JPG
* DSCN2871.JPG (Filesize: 192.21 KB)
DSCN2872.JPG
* DSCN2872.JPG (Filesize: 185.92 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #214 on: February 11, 2016, 12:54:41 AM
Here is the 103 Skinner.
DSCN2874.JPG
* DSCN2874.JPG (Filesize: 184.25 KB)
DSCN2875.JPG
* DSCN2875.JPG (Filesize: 182.71 KB)
DSCN2876.JPG
* DSCN2876.JPG (Filesize: 182.96 KB)
DSCN2878.JPG
* DSCN2878.JPG (Filesize: 199.74 KB)

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #215 on: February 13, 2016, 05:48:21 AM
It's late and I just have enough time to post some pics of another older Buck 112 Ranger that arrived just recently.These are referred to as 2 dot models.This is a reference to Bucks use of a dot on each side of the model number to indicate the era in which these were made,1974-1980
DSCN2879.JPG
* DSCN2879.JPG (Filesize: 192.05 KB)
DSCN2880.JPG
* DSCN2880.JPG (Filesize: 191.92 KB)
DSCN2883.JPG
* DSCN2883.JPG (Filesize: 183.73 KB)
DSCN2884.JPG
* DSCN2884.JPG (Filesize: 190.48 KB)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #216 on: February 13, 2016, 07:19:14 AM
Really excellent collection bro!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #217 on: February 13, 2016, 08:15:00 AM

Indeed!!!       8)      :tu:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #218 on: February 13, 2016, 08:03:59 PM

Indeed!!!       8)      :tu:

Thanks fellow knife nuts.LOL

Here is the big brother to the 112 Ranger.This is also a 2 dot production except it's a 110 Hunter.

DSCN2903.JPG
* DSCN2903.JPG (Filesize: 187.68 KB)
DSCN2904.JPG
* DSCN2904.JPG (Filesize: 184.12 KB)
DSCN2905.JPG
* DSCN2905.JPG (Filesize: 186.13 KB)
DSCN2902.JPG
* DSCN2902.JPG (Filesize: 179.93 KB)

us Offline Marcellus

Reply #219 on: February 14, 2016, 02:20:08 AM
Toolguy
Nice find on the Ranger 112, looks in good shape

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #220 on: February 14, 2016, 03:47:11 PM
Toolguy

Thanks Marcellus.

It is in fine condition.As a collector I like to see the original patina undisturbed which indicates there was no attempt to polish or buff the brass.Sometimes owners attempt to clean the knife for sale which may result in ruining the knife's original lines by rounding the sharp edges.

There is also one interesting fact about these older knives and that is Buck used genuine ebony wood rather than the Rutland based plywood [DymondWood] that is currently used.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:10:55 PM by toolguy »

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #221 on: February 14, 2016, 07:07:00 PM
Here is another interesting Buck 110 Hunter that arrived recently.It's equipped with jigged bone handles and unfortunately it didn't come with the original box or paperwork.The date code indicates that it was produced in 1990,which makes this knife 26 years old and still in like new condition.
DSCN2907.JPG
* DSCN2907.JPG (Filesize: 181.5 KB)
DSCN2908.JPG
* DSCN2908.JPG (Filesize: 182.62 KB)
DSCN2909.JPG
* DSCN2909.JPG (Filesize: 188.25 KB)
DSCN2910.JPG
* DSCN2910.JPG (Filesize: 189.52 KB)

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #222 on: February 14, 2016, 09:17:35 PM
Toolguy

Thanks Marcellus.

It is in fine condition.As a collector I like to see the original patina undisturbed which indicates there was no attempt to polish or buff the brass.Sometimes owners attempt to clean the knife for sale which may result in ruining the knife's original lines by rounding the sharp edges.

There is also one interesting fact about these older knives and that is Buck used genuine ebony wood rather than the Rutland based plywood [DymondWood] that is currently used.

Interesting, I always thought that the wood on my Ranger was Rosewood as it looks a lot like the wood on my guitars fretboard which is Rosewood. I guess it could be stipped Ebony though.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #223 on: February 14, 2016, 09:18:01 PM
Here is another interesting Buck 110 Hunter that arrived recently.It's equipped with jigged bone handles and unfortunately it didn't come with the original box or paperwork.The date code indicates that it was produced in 1990,which makes this knife 26 years old and still in like new condition.

Another beauty  :cheers:

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #224 on: February 14, 2016, 09:52:14 PM
Toolguy

Thanks Marcellus.

Interesting, I always thought that the wood on my Ranger was Rosewood as it looks a lot like the wood on my guitars fretboard which is Rosewood. I guess it could be stipped Ebony though.

Steve you could be correct concerning the type of wood,as I'm still learning about these knives.I read the wood they used was ebony on another forum several weeks ago.

The larger point is the wood used currently is a laminate as engineered by Rutland corporation as apposed to genuine wood used in the past.

I'll try to find a source for this information,if I'm able.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #225 on: February 15, 2016, 02:48:57 AM

I just received several more Bucks today.Two current production fixed blades and a 2 dot 112 Ranger folder.

Very nice toolguy!   :cheers:

The Woodsman was my first fixed blade knife when I was growing up.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #226 on: February 15, 2016, 03:45:22 AM
Really taking a liking to this thread. Tool guy do you display all your models? Or do they all get stored?

I can imagine an incredible locked  shadow box with all these on display

us Offline Marcellus

Reply #227 on: February 16, 2016, 01:59:41 AM
Toolguy

Good choice buying better maintained knives
I have bought some Buck folders that needed a lot of sanding, buffing, polishing & blade  reprofiling
They were definitely used & abused
They turned out OK, but a lot of cosmetic facelift  work involved

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #228 on: February 16, 2016, 03:33:32 AM
The Woodsman was my first fixed blade knife when I was growing up.
I've never owned a Woodsman.It really is a petite knife and appears well suited for smaller game and pan size fish.

Really taking a liking to this thread. Tool guy do you display all your models? Or do they all get stored?
I can imagine an incredible locked  shadow box with all these on display.
They're stored in a chest for the time being.I did place the two DU models along side of a DU print in my sports room.

Toolguy
Good choice buying better maintained knives
I have bought some Buck folders that needed a lot of sanding, buffing, polishing & blade  reprofiling
They were definitely used & abused
They turned out OK, but a lot of cosmetic facelift  work involved
I really don't want poorly maintained knives.There are hundreds of Bucks currently on the market,so you can be selective about your purchase.

I have three more incoming.I don't want to be a spoiler but I will provide some hints and in no particular combination;Sambar Stag,red bone,Damascus,original boxes,sheaths and paperwork.Let the guessing begin.LOL.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #229 on: February 18, 2016, 12:57:12 AM
Here is one more 110 Hunter complete with original box and sheath.

The date code indicates that it was built in 1989 and it's equipped with red bone scales and a brass frame.

DSCN2915.JPG
* DSCN2915.JPG (Filesize: 182.53 KB)
DSCN2916.JPG
* DSCN2916.JPG (Filesize: 185.14 KB)
DSCN2918.JPG
* DSCN2918.JPG (Filesize: 174.21 KB)
DSCN2919.JPG
* DSCN2919.JPG (Filesize: 190.21 KB)

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #230 on: February 18, 2016, 01:24:28 AM
I always look forward to opening this thread when I see you have a new post   :tu:

Another nice one  :cheers:

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #231 on: February 18, 2016, 01:40:25 AM
I always look forward to opening this thread when I see you have a new post   :tu:
Another nice one  :cheers:

Thanks Steve.

In the short time that I've been assembling a Buck collection, I discovered that these bone scaled knives are more difficult to find than the stag models.

PS: I have the 2 dot 112 Ranger,mentioned in a previous post,in for a spa treatment.Results to be posted tomorrow.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #232 on: February 18, 2016, 06:42:21 PM
Here are some pics of the 2 dot 112 Ranger shown in "reply 215".

I took this to my friends shop and we proceeded to take some pics as a reference before we decided on a plan to rehab this Buck.We were aware that we had to maintain the original lines as we attempted to remove scratches and polish the frame and locking bar.

Here is the final product.
DSCN2924.JPG
* DSCN2924.JPG (Filesize: 185.38 KB)
DSCN2925.JPG
* DSCN2925.JPG (Filesize: 186.92 KB)
DSCN2927.JPG
* DSCN2927.JPG (Filesize: 187.17 KB)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #233 on: February 18, 2016, 06:50:02 PM
Beautiful job!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #234 on: February 18, 2016, 07:00:04 PM
Beautiful job!!!!

Thank you brother.

My feeble skills behind the camera can't fully capture how great this knife looks.After I finish my run and take a shower I think I'll take it outside and try to capture its beauty.

Wish me luck,I'll need it.LOL.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #235 on: February 18, 2016, 07:45:51 PM
Beautiful job!!!!

Thank you brother.

My feeble skills behind the camera can't fully capture how great this knife looks.After I finish my run and take a shower I think I'll take it outside and try to capture its beauty.

Looking forward to it!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #236 on: February 19, 2016, 02:06:08 AM
Here is one more 110 Hunter complete with original box and sheath.

The date code indicates that it was built in 1989 and it's equipped with red bone scales and a brass frame.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #237 on: February 20, 2016, 10:37:47 PM
Beautiful job!!!!
Thank you brother.
Looking forward to it!!

We finally have a day of sunshine rather than rain.So I took the opportunity to try and capture the real beauty of this reconditioned 2 dot 112 Ranger.
DSCN2970.JPG
* DSCN2970.JPG (Filesize: 196.15 KB)
DSCN2971.JPG
* DSCN2971.JPG (Filesize: 202.59 KB)
DSCN2973.JPG
* DSCN2973.JPG (Filesize: 289.34 KB)
DSCN2974.JPG
* DSCN2974.JPG (Filesize: 285.78 KB)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #238 on: February 20, 2016, 10:46:28 PM
A fine looking knife!!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #239 on: February 20, 2016, 10:47:49 PM
Here is a 110 Hunter that was manufactured in 1988.

It's equipped with a Damascus blade,nickel silver frame and Indian Sambar Stag handles.

It is virtually NIB and came with box,paperwok and appropriate brown leather sheath.
DSCN2946.JPG
* DSCN2946.JPG (Filesize: 184.6 KB)
DSCN2957.JPG
* DSCN2957.JPG (Filesize: 185.12 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%