Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Going Buck Wild.

toolguy · 1001 · 44282

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Re: Going Buck Wild.
Reply #420 on: June 08, 2016, 10:40:24 PM
Blue 110 with 154cm blade!!!  :o :o :o

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Thanks bro.

Here is a fixed blade Buck,a model 116 Caper,that I've been looking to buy for several months.They aren't advertised too frequently and condition of many that I've viewed were questionable.

This one came up for sale several weeks ago and after talking to the owner I bought it.The Buck name and model number along with the USA stamp indicate this was made between 1972 and 1985.I believe this knife was discontinued in 1986,so this 116 is at least 30 years old.

I should also mention that the sheath is in near new condition which is another rarity for a knife this old.
DSCN3856.JPG
* DSCN3856.JPG (Filesize: 194.32 KB)
DSCN3857.JPG
* DSCN3857.JPG (Filesize: 186.62 KB)
DSCN3859.JPG
* DSCN3859.JPG (Filesize: 194.09 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #421 on: June 08, 2016, 11:30:06 PM
That's a cool one!!!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #422 on: June 09, 2016, 04:18:29 PM
Nice and what I like most about it is that sheath.
SAW

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #423 on: June 10, 2016, 01:47:58 AM
That's a cool one!!!!! :cheers:

It's a very difficult model to find in excellent condition but perseverance paid dividends in this case.

Nice and what I like most about it is that sheath.

These full coverage sheaths are very cool.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #424 on: June 15, 2016, 12:31:01 AM
Here is another Buck 110 that was produced in 2010.I've seen this model on ebay being sold by numerous vendors.There hasn't been any definitive explanation as to what this knife represents.What is it commemorating?

In any event, it's an attractive knife and because I was able to buy it at reasonable price it is now part of my collection.

It has a nickel silver frame,bone handles and a very interesting inlay on one side of the knife.This inlay was one of Buck's first advertisements which attempted to convey to the knife buying public,the strength of the steel which Buck used in their knives.It depicts a hammer striking the spine of their 110 Hunter and cutting a nail with the blade.

Altogether it's a very attractive knife with the bone handles polished to a bright finish and at certain angles it almost appears to be some kind of high quality wood.
DSCN3936.JPG
* DSCN3936.JPG (Filesize: 195.42 KB)
DSCN3942.JPG
* DSCN3942.JPG (Filesize: 189.25 KB)
DSCN3941.JPG
* DSCN3941.JPG (Filesize: 194.09 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #425 on: June 15, 2016, 01:16:09 AM
I really like the looks of that one Tg   :drool:

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #426 on: June 15, 2016, 01:31:58 AM
I really like the looks of that one Tg   :drool:

Thank you Steve.

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #427 on: June 16, 2016, 04:09:12 AM
Your 110 was made for Smokey Mountain Knife Works. I am not sure of the reason. They made a similar 110 to commemorate the 50Th anniversary of the 110. It is similar but says 50th below the script. Funny thing was it was stamped 1963 to 2013 on the blade. The 110 came out in 1964.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:15:42 AM by THE_LONGBOW »

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #428 on: June 17, 2016, 03:13:34 AM
Your 110 was made for Smokey Mountain Knife Works. I am not sure of the reason. They made a similar 110 to commemorate the 50Th anniversary of the 110. It is similar but says 50th below the script. Funny thing was it was stamped 1963 to 2013 on the blade. The 110 came out in 1964.

Thanks for the information.

I've seen the one you mentioned and it didn't make any sense to me either.

Here's one of that edition to which you referred.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Buck-110-Hunter-50th-Anniversary-LE-Knife-DISCONTINUED-/151982259753?hash=item2362d93e29:g:298AAOSwKtVWvqfL

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #429 on: June 18, 2016, 12:42:28 AM
This is a Prototype for your script 110.

00 Offline haackeg

Reply #430 on: June 18, 2016, 06:15:24 PM
I need a Buck 55 in my life.

Those do look pretty good... :drool:
Thy are pretty awesome! 

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #431 on: June 18, 2016, 06:26:27 PM
I'm the milk man!

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #432 on: June 18, 2016, 07:26:12 PM
This is a Prototype for your script 110.

Your proto is amazing.I like the idea of using what appears to be SS pivot and frame pins which are peened and set into a collar.

There are a few more differences which may not appear to be obvious.Your proto has a brass frame and logo and my 110 has a nickel silver frame and logo.

Thanks for sharing.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #433 on: June 19, 2016, 01:35:41 AM
This new production model arrived in today's mail.I took the time to bring it into the shop and polish the spine of the blade to a mirror finish which now matches the  the rocker bar.

This knife is being sold by SK Blades.It has a CMP-154 drop point blade with a nail nick,nickel silver frame and orange G10 handles.

These orange G10 handles were so different from any 110 that I've seen in the past,that I had to order one.It didn't hurt that the dealer chose a good quality steel either.

This is one 110 Hunter that shouldn't get lost during excursions into wilderness areas.
DSCN3997.JPG
* DSCN3997.JPG (Filesize: 191.06 KB)
DSCN3994.JPG
* DSCN3994.JPG (Filesize: 193.21 KB)
DSCN3990.JPG
* DSCN3990.JPG (Filesize: 192.17 KB)
DSCN3996.JPG
* DSCN3996.JPG (Filesize: 197.01 KB)

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #434 on: June 20, 2016, 03:04:49 AM
Here is another 112 that arrived this week.As can be seen,this is a commemorative knife that was made for the National Knife Collectors Association.It has appeared on ebay many times in the past but I was looking for one that was not only NIB but reasonably priced.This fit the bill and so it made its way to toolguy's domicile.

It has a pierced blade with the NKCA acronym,a nickel silver frame with the NKCA emblem inlaid into the rosewood handle and NKCA with the date on the opposite handle.Again,it's another attractive 112 made by Buck.
DSCN4008.JPG
* DSCN4008.JPG (Filesize: 195.09 KB)
DSCN4010.JPG
* DSCN4010.JPG (Filesize: 194.35 KB)
DSCN4009.JPG
* DSCN4009.JPG (Filesize: 192.96 KB)
DSCN4011.JPG
* DSCN4011.JPG (Filesize: 189.56 KB)

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #435 on: June 20, 2016, 09:52:13 PM
Got a older 110 and 112 in trade on this forum years back. Sent them into Buck for a spa treatment back then. Just a few pics as it would take to long to post them all. There is a thread about this somewhere I think, but it wouldn't have pics now anyways.

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #436 on: June 20, 2016, 09:56:12 PM
A 112 I bought maybe 2 years ago.

I'm the milk man!

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #437 on: June 25, 2016, 09:00:06 PM
Nice Captain!
I found this in my local gunshop; new old old stock.
Buck 501 from the 2002 centenary year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #438 on: July 06, 2016, 04:45:42 PM
Got a older 110 and 112 in trade on this forum years back. Sent them into Buck for a spa treatment back then. Just a few pics as it would take to long to post them all. There is a thread about this somewhere I think, but it wouldn't have pics now anyways.

These Bucks sure look good after a SPA treatment.Those guys at the Buck factory certainly do a credible job of making your knives look like new.

Congrats.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #439 on: July 06, 2016, 05:28:21 PM

These Bucks sure look good after a SPA treatment.Those guys at the Buck factory certainly do a credible job of making your knives look like new.

Congrats.

They sure do. I have some others I need to send in but keep putting it off.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #440 on: July 06, 2016, 06:18:21 PM
I've been very fortunate in seeking the advice and technical know-how of friends in rehabbing my own Bucks.There is one that I recently received,a 102 Woodsman,that I will be sending to Buck for spa treatment.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #441 on: July 06, 2016, 09:00:14 PM
This is another Buck 112 Ranger modified by David Yellowhorse.I first viewed this model many months ago and instantly knew it would be a truly worthwhile addition to any collection of Buck knives.

One fact about collecting has proven worthwhile,time and time again,is patience.There were many times when this model came up for sale and I had to bite my lip and not bid on it because I thought the opening price was too high.

Then this one came up for sale and the opening price was very reasonable.There was one fly in the ointment, it had no walnut display case.I really don't know what the monetary value of that case may be but I do believe that Davids work can stand on its own merit regardless of a display case.

Well its clear by now that I have this model in my possession and here it is.I call it the "Wolf" model.
DSCN4024.JPG
* DSCN4024.JPG (Filesize: 194.06 KB)
DSCN4029.JPG
* DSCN4029.JPG (Filesize: 193.01 KB)
DSCN4027.JPG
* DSCN4027.JPG (Filesize: 184.85 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #442 on: July 06, 2016, 10:57:12 PM
Beautiful  :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #443 on: July 07, 2016, 03:24:14 AM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

au Offline Gohard

• Leatherman fanatic!!

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #445 on: July 07, 2016, 06:44:35 AM
NICE 112
I have met David Yellowhorse on several occasions. He is a truly nice gentleman. His stories are fun to listen to, and his work is beautiful.
Congrats on your new Wolf knife.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #446 on: July 10, 2016, 09:44:13 PM
Beautiful  :tu:

+1!!!!!!!
Agreeeeeed!!!!!!

Thanks guys,it's duly noted that David Yellowhorse is a true craftsman.

NICE 112
I have met David Yellowhorse on several occasions. He is a truly nice gentleman. His stories are fun to listen to, and his work is beautiful.
Congrats on your new Wolf knife.

Thanks for your anecdote LB,it's always good to learn that David is also a nice guy as well as a consummate craftsman.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #447 on: July 10, 2016, 09:57:28 PM
This arrived this past week along with several other Bucks as well as a duplicate of this model.Unfortunately the second iteration of this knife was well used and not truly representative of a new and unused knife.It will be sent back to the seller this week.

This is an early Yellowhorse and one of its distinguishing features is David's name that is engraved in block letters into the frame rather that signed in script onto the blade.

The work is exceptional and the image of the horse,done in brass and inlaid into the handle,is very well done.
DSCN4048.JPG
* DSCN4048.JPG (Filesize: 193.65 KB)
DSCN4049.JPG
* DSCN4049.JPG (Filesize: 194.71 KB)
DSCN4050.JPG
* DSCN4050.JPG (Filesize: 189.87 KB)
DSCN4053.JPG
* DSCN4053.JPG (Filesize: 194.14 KB)

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #448 on: July 10, 2016, 10:11:40 PM
This arrived this past week along with several other Bucks as well as a duplicate of this model.Unfortunately the second iteration of this knife was well used and not truly representative of a new and unused knife.It will be sent back to the seller this week.

This is an early Yellowhorse and one of its distinguishing features is David's name that is engraved in block letters into the frame rather that signed in script onto the blade.

The work is exceptional and the image of the horse,done in brass and inlaid into the handle,is very well done.

That is a work of art!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #449 on: July 11, 2016, 07:00:04 PM
I think my favorites of all your Bucks are those David Yellowhorse ones.  Really quite beautiful.  Congrats on one heck of a collection.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD