Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

No new Leathermans in 2016?

rdub934 · 129 · 11581

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
No new Leathermans in 2016?
on: December 11, 2015, 08:49:25 PM
Here we are almost halfway through December and Leatherman have not filed any patent applications except for the previously discussed new company slogan "Leatherman for real life". With SHOT 2016 a little over a month away, it seems quite possible that 2016 will see no completely new products introduced. It will be the first time in a LONG time that has happened.

However, we did catch wind of a Knifeless Rebar (still listed on certain compatibility lists on LM's website) and a Skeletool RX (which is not). We've already seen a new By The Number tool with a slant towards archery. Also, several new color variations.

So I have to wonder, if 2016 is going to be a year of updates for Leatherman, will the Wave and Charges get freshened up with the Rebar plier-head finally? It's going to be interesting to see what SHOT will be like for Leatherman.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: No new Leathermans in 2016?
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 08:52:16 PM
So I have to wonder, if 2016 is going to be a year of updates for Leatherman, will the Wave and Charges get freshened up with the Rebar plier-head finally? It's going to be interesting to see what SHOT will be like for Leatherman.

Well I hope not. :P But I got a nice 0515 stamped Wave recently so I'm happy. :D Don't like the idea of the Rebar head in the Wave. It's ok on the larger tools I'm not sure I'd like it on the Wave.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 09:10:19 PM
I hope they don't ruin the Wave with that thing too. The Wave is currently the only tool on Leatherman's current like up that I have any time for and confidence in, and it's perfectly fine as it is!

I hope they are taking time out in 2006 to study ergonomics and reflecting on how to win back confidence in certain parts of the market  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 09:13:04 PM
Why is the new head bad?
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 09:16:46 PM
Why is the new head bad?

Removes material to make room for exchangeable cutters, probably weakens the structure of the head and maybe the reason why the head on that Surge broke in that fencing tread recently.

Exchangeable cutters sit so high into the gripping area that they become one of the gripping points.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 09:22:51 PM
Why is the new head bad?

Well, for a start, it's bloody ugly  :D

Secondly, cutting out the pockets for the replaceable cutters weakens the head in my opinion, even if they did add the cheesy 1980's shoulder pads - which while we're at it, could also make the pliers more difficult to use on certain restricted access jobs.

Cutting tests have also shown that more force is required on the newer style than the older style due to the cutting geometry

Before anyone asks, yes I have had first hand experience of these plier heads  :cheers:

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 09:23:03 PM
Exchangeable cutters sit so high into the gripping area that they become one of the gripping points.

I understand the opposition.  But all things considered, I would still love to see the Wave with the new plier head.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 09:25:33 PM
Why is the new head bad?

Removes material to make room for exchangeable cutters, probably weakens the structure of the head and maybe the reason why the head on that Surge broke in that fencing tread recently.

Unfortunately, impeded main gripping area is a trait which was present on the older version too. They gave themselves a golden opportunity to fix that, and chose not to

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 09:27:27 PM
The new heads have been reinforced on the sides to keep them from breaking. I think they look sharp myself. But that is just my opinion.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 11:09:12 PM
I hope there is something. No new Leatherman would be disappointing. I am very excited about the idea of a Knifeless Rebar. Hopefully it will include a new style of large Scissors, and a bit adapter, in addition to the excellent 3D Phillips already on the Rebar.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 11:11:51 PM
I just don't see it making much sense financially for LM to continue to produce two different heads for the same size chassis. The 154cm cutters do take up space for the gripping area, but multitool pliers are a compromise. At least they offer a larger cutting area, and damaging the cutters does not handicap the entire use of the jaws permanently. Six one, half dozen the other IMHO.

Maybe by making the switch, some savings can get passed on to the consumer?

Nah! :D
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 11:18:49 PM
I hope there is something. No new Leatherman would be disappointing. I am very excited about the idea of a Knifeless Rebar. Hopefully it will include a new style of large Scissors, and a bit adapter, in addition to the excellent 3D Phillips already on the Rebar.

Totally understand your feelings, however the Rebar is not for me, with or without blades.

I just don't see it making much sense financially for LM to continue to produce two different heads for the same size chassis. The 154cm cutters do take up space for the gripping area, but multitool pliers are a compromise. At least they offer a larger cutting area, and damaging the cutters does not handicap the entire use of the jaws permanently. Six one, half dozen the other IMHO.

Maybe by making the switch, some savings can get passed on to the consumer?

Nah! :D

I fully agree it makes commercial sense to reduce the inventory of parts, and make things more universal. I'm just glad I have a fully functional Wave, and another I can harvest the heads from (plus all my friends here who can help me source stuff) when the bad news is finally and inevitably announced

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 11:43:55 PM
I hope leatherman don't bring out any new tools next year. There's no need. Purely refine what they have.

While I would like to see the new plier head available in the wave there's one thing I've noticed with us the consumers, and that is everyone wants options. I would love to have different options available in the same tool but can fully understand why they won't.

Ps: I think the new plier head looks totally bad ass!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 11:50:44 PM
Yall worried about the plier head, how about outside opening scissors for the Wave!!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 12:02:58 AM
Yall worried about the plier head, how about outside opening scissors for the Wave!!

Word up, Yo! Swap the scissors and one of the blades: my preference would be larger, external scissors and smaller, internal PE blade

us Offline yourbadneighbor

Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 01:24:17 AM
Well one good thing about the new style head,  I would have a real reason to carry a second large multi tool.  I would need one to be able to change the replaceable cutters!!!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 01:40:17 AM
I hope leatherman don't bring out any new tools next year. There's no need. Purely refine what they have.

While I would like to see the new plier head available in the wave there's one thing I've noticed with us the consumers, and that is everyone wants options. I would love to have different options available in the same tool but can fully understand why they won't.

If by refine you mean "improve what they already have by making variations to appeal to a wider audience" than I think the knifeless Rebar fits the bill.

But if you meant "make individual components better, and improve QC on tools we already make"  (and i suspect you do) then ive got bad news. Its not going to happen until LM comes out with an actual new model, likely Wave 3.0 or an updated Charge. With the exception of the PST, Leatherman has only done serious changes in response to major problems (such as Fuse/Blast locks changing due to too many broken locks). Its just too expensive to make tooling and quality changes like that without sales of a new tool to justify the price.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:41:51 AM by sLaughterMed »

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 03:19:13 AM

If by refine you mean "improve what they already have by making variations to appeal to a wider audience" than I think the knifeless Rebar fits the bill.

But if you meant "make individual components better, and improve QC on tools we already make"  (and i suspect you do) then ive got bad news. Its not going to happen until LM comes out with an actual new model, likely Wave 3.0 or an updated Charge. With the exception of the PST, Leatherman has only done serious changes in response to major problems (such as Fuse/Blast locks changing due to too many broken locks). Its just too expensive to make tooling and quality changes like that without sales of a new tool to justify the price.

Well I actually mean both and I do realise this won't happen but it would be nice.

Small changes like how they have made the needle nose teeth more course is a perfect example though.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 03:27:48 AM

Well I actually mean both and I do realise this won't happen but it would be nice.

Small changes like how they have made the needle nose teeth more course is a perfect example though.
True, it would be nice. Im still holding out hope the knifeles rebar has a new style scissors....

us Offline gregpost

Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 03:34:23 AM
They should come out with the Leatherman Titan - Titanium version of the Leatherman Surge, with upgraded blade steel but no cap crimper.  :D

us Offline BASguy

Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 04:17:41 AM
Perhaps they could just leave the tool line alone and upgrade the QC Department for 2016?

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: December 12, 2015, 08:47:33 AM
Based on my experenice with Mini-Surge and Wave, i have say i like Wave's pilers head more, maybe because i dont cut enough hard wire to wear out the Wave head.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: December 12, 2015, 09:12:09 AM
Based on my experenice with Mini-Surge and Wave, i have say i like Wave's pilers head more, maybe because i dont cut enough hard wire to wear out the Wave head.

Quick question Kam, does switching the plier heads alter handle splay, or are they the same?

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: December 13, 2015, 02:41:31 AM

Quick question Kam, does switching the plier heads alter handle splay, or are they the same?
Exactly the same, sir.

us Offline Hiodro

Reply #24 on: December 13, 2015, 03:17:01 AM
Surge with scales like the charge
That would be so bad ass
I'd probably prefer black aluminum the surge is to heavy duty to put titanium on

I have a Leatherman surge, rebar, wave, and a super tool 300. I can also solve 3x3x3, 2x2x2, and 2x2x4 rubix cubes.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 13, 2015, 06:25:23 AM
I like the way this man thinks :D

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #26 on: December 13, 2015, 06:28:41 AM
I like the way this man thinks :D

Knifeless Rebar? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  dont need Leatherman , just ask Uncle Obi will fix for you :)
Knifeless Rebar.jpg
* Knifeless Rebar.jpg (Filesize: 82.61 KB)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:29:46 AM by Obi1shinobee »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #27 on: December 13, 2015, 07:43:17 AM
Or I will break the knife off for you, easy! :rofl:

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools