Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Big knives

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Big knives
Reply #30 on: January 01, 2016, 09:35:00 AM
All the best for 2016!  :cheers:

Just got back from a trip considerably shortened by a broken shock absorber, more to follow but here's some pics of the blade now:

I know now that a grinder belt that feels perfect and could grind a 100x 5160 blades does very little to D6 steel a few passes from new.....more later  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: January 01, 2016, 12:34:22 PM
Looking good Gerhard. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: January 01, 2016, 02:07:12 PM
That looks great! :popcorn:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: January 01, 2016, 02:41:28 PM

Nice!   :salute:

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #34 on: January 01, 2016, 03:30:34 PM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: January 01, 2016, 04:25:01 PM

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: January 01, 2016, 04:27:07 PM
Shiny... :tu:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #37 on: January 01, 2016, 05:13:15 PM
wow
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline David

Reply #38 on: January 02, 2016, 05:02:17 AM
Coming along nicely G!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 02, 2016, 09:19:52 PM
Today and a bit of yesterday's work:

us Offline David

Reply #40 on: January 02, 2016, 09:32:39 PM
Thats looking great G! What kind of handle material are you think about using?
Hold Fast

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: January 02, 2016, 09:39:25 PM
Thanks David  :salute:

For sure Micarta, but I've got 2 difficult choices to make - this knife and the course knife (will still post pics) needs Micarta.

I've got a few options in mind, hope to make 2 batches tomorrow as a start: a combo of 2 different shade blue jeans, and zombie green synthetic and emerald green wool cloth combo.
Also still want to make a piece of solid black (cotton) so I can try out an Impala horn effect and see how that works.

:D Suggestions welcome!

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: January 02, 2016, 09:45:12 PM
Gerhard what is the length of the blade?

It's difficult to determine that looking at the pictures.

Did I miss the length mentioned some where in this thread?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: January 02, 2016, 09:50:15 PM
Coming along nicely  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: January 03, 2016, 10:06:04 AM
Gerhard what is the length of the blade?

It's difficult to determine that looking at the pictures.

Did I miss the length mentioned some where in this thread?
Hi

Just measured: 155mm or 6.1"  :salute:

About 70% with the 220 grit finish, if I'm not too lazy after lunch I'll work on the pommel/lanyard and the guard, everything needs to get smoothed to 400 grit and hopefully I can do normalizing and hardening tomorrow.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: January 03, 2016, 10:17:25 AM
Thanks David  :salute:

For sure Micarta, but I've got 2 difficult choices to make - this knife and the course knife (will still post pics) needs Micarta.

I've got a few options in mind, hope to make 2 batches tomorrow as a start: a combo of 2 different shade blue jeans, and zombie green synthetic and emerald green wool cloth combo.
Also still want to make a piece of solid black (cotton) so I can try out an Impala horn effect and see how that works.

:D Suggestions welcome!

:popcorn:

This thread makes me want to put together my long planed belt sander  :ahhh

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 03, 2016, 10:31:02 AM
I've mentioned the course I attended several times, so here's some details and a (very) few pics.

I arrived at Camp Gecko late last Sunday, before setting up camp I had to come up with a design.  I had a few already, but not being sure about the material we'd be using nothing was finalized.

During the 2 day course I witnessed the maker marking out some blade shapes on a piece of stock that an assistant grinding those out roughly.  Rene believes in not making the same knife twice except on request, and even then it won't be exact.
The man grinds free-hand, and all things considered his skills are just insane......

Anyway, I ended up with a design that was a hybrid of 2 of his knives, a blade shape I liked (with a slight drop point added) and a handle that sat very nicely in my hand, both slightly scales up.

First thing Monday morning I was given 2 pieces of mild steel flat bar, given some instructions and left to practice.  Basically did 4 bevel grinds followed by doing the tips, with each end of the flat bar shaped like a different knife.

I have no idea how long this went on, but when the results started improving I had to grind out my design from the sheet of 5mm D6.
I'd bought my first angle grinder 2 weeks before, so not had much practice yet.  The assistant (Raphael) is a seasoned metal worker and gave me some great grinding techniques & tips.

Next the blank was shaped and refined on 2 other belt grinders, also did some tweaks to the design.

Then the edge grinding started, and I don't mind admitting I was very nervous.  The resultant knife was included in the price of the course, if I messed it up at any step that was it.
Free hand this is a lot more difficult than you might expect, and the D6 is not a friendly steel.
I went through 3 belts and had to ask for help about 5 times, so the result is not 100% my own work, but at least the finishing strokes were mine.

After that came hours on hours of sanding, I was after all in the workshop of a Swiss perfectionist, and nothing but perfection will do......obtained with sand paper  :facepalm:

My blade was 2nd in the furnace after some more sanding the next morning, tested at 64 Rockwell afterwards.

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: January 03, 2016, 10:35:57 AM
Freely admit that Rene refined the plunge grind for me.......you have to see the man in action to believe it  :rofl:
 :salute:

us Offline David

Reply #48 on: January 03, 2016, 06:45:53 PM
I'm really enjoying this thread G!
Hold Fast

no Offline Grathr

Reply #49 on: January 03, 2016, 07:00:19 PM
That turned out great! :drool:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 03, 2016, 07:47:18 PM
About 4 hours today, down to 400 grit but not perfect yet....but good enough.

Tomorrow I need to try and get my car fixed, then I'll make fire  >:D
From research I need to normalize 3 times, then oil quench on the 4th

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: January 03, 2016, 07:50:04 PM
That turned out great! :drool:
Stay tuned....my budget is smurfed since the damage on my holiday was equal to the cost, but hopefully you can see it with a handle before the end of January  8)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #52 on: January 03, 2016, 11:02:46 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Normalise 3 times? Why? Bear in mind the more times you get I up to the transition temperatures, or the longer you keep it there, you increase the chances of burning off carbon content.

How are you cooling during normalising/annealing? If you need to repeat three times you might be cooling too quickly. One way you can slow it down is to bury it in a deep steel chest (ammo box type thing) of ashes or vermiculite so that it cools down over a much longer period (12 hours or so)

Normalising is actually different to annealing, but if you're using the stock removal method rather than hot working, you shouldn't need it anyway really. If you are hot working, the normalising will undo any grain modification from forging, so you might as well just grind it  :D I'd anneal it, then either forge and quench, or machine the annealed blank then quench harden. I don't see any benefit of normalising as you're not going to have a gross imbalance of grain structure on something as thin as a knife.

BTW, I was told the edge should be blunt to the tune of a 1.5 to 2mm flat prior to quenching, to avoid/minimise cracking. I'm far from an expert on these matters, but thought I'd share what little I know  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: January 04, 2016, 09:01:00 AM

Normalise 3 times? Why? Bear in mind the more times you get I up to the transition temperatures, or the longer you keep it there, you increase the chances of burning off carbon content.

How are you cooling during normalising/annealing? If you need to repeat three times you might be cooling too quickly. One way you can slow it down is to bury it in a deep steel chest (ammo box type thing) of ashes or vermiculite so that it cools down over a much longer period (12 hours or so)

Normalising is actually different to annealing, but if you're using the stock removal method rather than hot working, you shouldn't need it anyway really. If you are hot working, the normalising will undo any grain modification from forging, so you might as well just grind it  :D I'd anneal it, then either forge and quench, or machine the annealed blank then quench harden. I don't see any benefit of normalising as you're not going to have a gross imbalance of grain structure on something as thin as a knife.

BTW, I was told the edge should be blunt to the tune of a 1.5 to 2mm flat prior to quenching, to avoid/minimise cracking. I'm far from an expert on these matters, but thought I'd share what little I know  :D
Hi 50

Very simple - normalizing 3 times was the general consensus from my research, but what you said makes perfect sense.  I did hotwork to get it straight, but that was minimal, the rest was stock removal.
To anneal I left the blank in (another) fire while it burned out overnight.

I don't have a furnace so for the normalizing I would need to make a big fire each time, use relatively briefly and then let it die while the blade cools......and that would happen simply on some sand.

I hope to get a big enough piece of pipe today to make a furnace in the fire, worried about burning out the carbon myself.

This is all new to me so any advice welcome  :salute:

hr Offline styx

Reply #54 on: January 04, 2016, 09:02:47 AM
Can't wait to see how it turns out when you put some handles on it
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: January 04, 2016, 12:35:13 PM
This is properly amazing GG!  :salute:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: January 05, 2016, 11:58:52 PM
Great work so far, it's turning out really well! Love the looks of that knife :drool:.

hr Offline styx

Reply #57 on: January 06, 2016, 10:17:49 AM
This actually looks like it would live through the "hold my beer and watch this" parts of life
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: January 06, 2016, 11:53:51 AM

Hi 50

Very simple - normalizing 3 times was the general consensus from my research, but what you said makes perfect sense.  I did hotwork to get it straight, but that was minimal, the rest was stock removal.
To anneal I left the blank in (another) fire while it burned out overnight.

I don't have a furnace so for the normalizing I would need to make a big fire each time, use relatively briefly and then let it die while the blade cools......and that would happen simply on some sand.

I hope to get a big enough piece of pipe today to make a furnace in the fire, worried about burning out the carbon myself.

This is all new to me so any advice welcome  :salute:

:salute:

Some materials do havetheir own subtle nuances, but I genuinely can't see the benefit of triple normalising here.

Annealing takes the material to a base condition anyway. You can "bump" a hardness without annealing, but there is an increased risk of cracking. Annealing is the way to go  :tu:

Throughout the roughing process, try to work both sides gradually and equally, to prevent the material pulling to one side. Normalise if you wish, but I do not see the benefit, as the quench and temper will change the grain structure anyway.

Some materials benefit from multiple tempering. Might be worth checking out for this steel. It would make more sense to me than multiple normalising. The normalising may have a purpose, but I'm struggling to figure out what :shrug:

Please don't take my opinions as gospel. My experience is in the design and manufacture of mechanical components, not knife blades, though many of the principles cross over to both applications

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: January 06, 2016, 12:08:11 PM
Just a note from my perspective, here I where I WOULD include normalising..... shaft manufacture...

If you are upset forging a shaft, you would be working it at high temperatures, but machining without normalising could lead to some problematic distortion. There are different sections in play, and the transitions are not uniform. There's a greater need to add an additional treatment phase to make the grain more homogenous and remove internal stresses. Sometimes proof machining then stress relieving is enough, and sometimes normalising I better.

On a knife application though, the section is essentially consistent, and I can't imagine the straightening op fighting back if it was done hot enough (or annealed after). Even if it did, you would notice distortion in the roughing stage.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD