Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

jlwatso1's 31 Day SOG Super Power Badge Quest

us Offline jlwatso1

Re: jlwatso1's 31 Day SOG Super Power Badge Quest
Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 11:12:48 PM
DAY 4

Not much to report today. Tuesdays are my day off.  Sent an email to SOG's warranty department this morning to see if they could send me a new 1/4" bit driver or if I would have to send it in. No reply ret. Fabricated a new tool lock for my PT-540. Got it functional, but it still needs some cosmetic work. I may stamp my initials in it with some letter punches my folks got me for Christmas. Had to stop working on it because my daughter just woke up from her nap. Hopefully I will be able to duplicate it so they both look the same. Pics are on the Leatherman forum under Surge/ES4 Possible mod question. If anyone is interested.

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #31 on: January 07, 2016, 05:48:09 AM
Just realized yesterday was DAY 5

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #32 on: January 07, 2016, 05:59:51 AM
DAY 6

Mostly did a lot of screen watching today while running tests on the ducted VRF system I cut copper for on Monday. Also had to do a little troubleshooting. Had to replace a burnt up contactor. Deadmun just helped tear a seal off of a drum of R-404A so I could add charge to a DX on the outdoor room of the psycrometric chamber. Not too exciting.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 131.23 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 122.15 KB)

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #33 on: January 08, 2016, 05:35:31 AM
DAY 7

Started out the day using the scissors on my Powerlock to cut some socks/wicks for the wet bulb readings on our sample boxes. They seemed to work ok, but I wish they would lock in place. They did have a hard time cutting a medium sized zip tie. Used the pliers to tighten up a sanitary water fitting.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 92.84 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 89.81 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 132.5 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 133.82 KB)

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 08, 2016, 06:47:18 AM
I have to force the lock into the notch in the scissors to get them to lock, a two hand operation, but they lock.  :facepalm:

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #35 on: January 08, 2016, 11:45:18 AM
Hmmm... I tried that before and thought the screwdriver/bottle opener was just making it not lock because it doesn't have a stop so it doesn't rest where it needs to, but I just pressed really hard on the lock and you are right! It finally snapped in. Almost like the gap is to small for the lock to fit all the way. Thanks!  :tu:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #36 on: January 08, 2016, 10:23:48 PM
Hmmm... I tried that before and thought the screwdriver/bottle opener was just making it not lock because it doesn't have a stop so it doesn't rest where it needs to, but I just pressed really hard on the lock and you are right! It finally snapped in. Almost like the gap is to small for the lock to fit all the way. Thanks!  :tu:
Mine has similar problems, but it is completly the fault of the bottle opener and knife closing too far into the tool.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #37 on: January 09, 2016, 05:14:02 AM
DAY 8

Note to self: SOG Powerlock has extremely sharp knife.  :oops:

Whilst cutting through a large zip tie/panduit strap, some how I sliced through the nail and part of my left pinky finger... I would take pics, the superglue makes it look worse than it is. I think any way...

On a lighter note, SOG warranty got back with me and are sending new 1/4" drive spring.

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #38 on: January 09, 2016, 08:23:12 AM
I hope you cleaned that real well so you don't get an infection.  Is your tetanus shot up to date?  :ahhh

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #39 on: January 09, 2016, 03:00:12 PM
I hope you cleaned that real well so you don't get an infection.  Is your tetanus shot up to date?  :ahhh

Yah I cleaned it out good and I'm up to date. If I would have cut it on something rusty I would have gone to the ER and gotten a shot, but I don't even think I've used this blade yet. I would rather avoid having to deal with worker's comp. if possible. It took me over year to get everything settled when I pulled a muscle in my back at another company.... Hospital kept calling me for the rest of the money they felt they were owed. It was a nightmare. If this had been worse I would have gone, but I think I'm good.  Thanks for the concern though. I appreciate it.

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #40 on: January 09, 2016, 10:55:20 PM
DAY 9

Deadmon's task for the day. A step stool came for my little girl. Not too challenging, but he was up to the task.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 127.02 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 102 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 79.63 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 92.81 KB)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #41 on: January 09, 2016, 11:10:17 PM
Nice! We've got that stool as well. My 2 y.o. loves it - she drags it around the house, periodically stopping to climb and/or sit on it for a couple minutes before dragging it elsewhere.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #42 on: January 09, 2016, 11:15:09 PM
Nice! We've got that stool as well. My 2 y.o. loves it - she drags it around the house, periodically stopping to climb and/or sit on it for a couple minutes before dragging it elsewhere.

Lol, mine is 21 months. We got it so she could sit on the potty... My wife gives her an M&M when she try's. I think she just has figured out she gets an M&M, but I guess if it gets her to try it can't hurt. :D

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: January 09, 2016, 11:19:57 PM

Lol, mine is 21 months. We got it so she could sit on the potty... My wife gives her an M&M when she try's. I think she just has figured out she gets an M&M, but I guess if it gets her to try it can't hurt. :D

Yea, that was the intended purpose for ours as well. And we are using the same technique on our daughter (and it worked on Thing 1 and Thing 2 so why not 3 for 3, right?) Get an M&M every time they void, get two every time they move their bowels. Thing 3 is to the point where every time she farts on the potty she sticks her hand out :rofl:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #44 on: January 10, 2016, 12:13:04 AM

Yea, that was the intended purpose for ours as well. And we are using the same technique on our daughter (and it worked on Thing 1 and Thing 2 so why not 3 for 3, right?) Get an M&M every time they void, get two every time they move their bowels. Thing 3 is to the point where every time she farts on the potty she sticks her hand out :rofl:

😂 :rofl: Nice! We aren't quite there yet...

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #45 on: January 10, 2016, 06:00:46 AM
"Thing 3 is to the point where every time she farts on the potty she sticks her hand out "
- jlwatso1

Whoa, I just now realized that somebody owes me a whole bunch of M&Ms.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 10, 2016, 04:25:51 PM
"Thing 3 is to the point where every time she farts on the potty she sticks her hand out "
- jlwatso1

Whoa, I just now realized that somebody owes me a whole bunch of M&Ms.

Sure thing, come on over and we'll hook you up :D

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #47 on: January 11, 2016, 03:29:43 AM
DAY 10

Nothing to report today. Just pocket carried my Powerlock to church again. I cleaned up my finger some yesterday. Took off the super glue and cleaned it out with hydrogen peroxide, then alcohol, and finally some neosporin antibiotic ointment. I leaned it out again later and then glued it shut again. Or rather I held it together and made my wife glue it shut. :D Here's some pics.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 48.91 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 77.77 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 181.67 KB)

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #48 on: January 12, 2016, 05:21:58 AM
DAY 11

Wired in the communication wires and high voltage on a Air to Water VRF system today. Then piped in the water. Took a while because there were 3 outdoor units to pipe water to. Snapped a few action pics. I have noticed some play in the Phillips screwdriver. I have also noticed that it is almost impossible not to hit the tool lock and dissengauge the screwdriver while using it. Every time I pulled the knife out today, the medium screwdriver/bottle opener came out also. The tools just seem so close together.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 111.9 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 132.15 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 99.81 KB)

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #49 on: January 12, 2016, 05:23:05 AM
Couple more pics.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 162.64 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 97.17 KB)

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #50 on: January 12, 2016, 02:25:52 PM
DAY 12

Off day. Having a little coffee and catching up on some reading before my little one gets up. Might have to work on the tool locks for my PT-540 some more today while she naps.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 128.38 KB)

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #51 on: January 14, 2016, 04:48:38 AM
DAY 13

Spent pretty much the whole day screen watching and trying to get the inlet water temperature down to 62 degrees F. Used my Powerlock to cut socks for the wet bulb readings. I also used my "calibrated tool" to adjust water flow rates to each of the 3 outdoor units. A tap here and a tap there...  :rofl: The client's unit kept shutting off and screwing the water temp up so once their ibis came back on line, everything had to cycle. We finally had to have the 35 ton chamber shut down, because the 100 ton chiller we were using to cool the water in our tank didn't have enough capacity to run the 30 ton VRF and the 35 ton room at the same time.  :think: I know the math doesn't work out... The chiller is a piece!
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 129.31 KB)

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #52 on: January 14, 2016, 04:54:47 AM
Before anybody goes trying to find Waldo in the picture... The Powerlock didn't make it in. :D  :oops:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 05:09:54 AM by jlwatso1 »

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #53 on: January 15, 2016, 05:26:45 AM
DAY 14

Worked on another air to water VRF setup today. Snapped a couple of pictures while using my Powerlock. Tried using the Phillips with the pliers opened to avoid hitting the tool locks as other MTO addicts have mentioned trying. This method worked pretty good. I also tried using the Phillips with the pliers opened at a 90 degree angle to help get some more torque. The last pick is of Dedmun hanging out in between helping me cut to finish insulating copper lines. Sorry I can't share pics of a full VRF setup due to confidentiality agreements. Oh yah, used wire strippers on PL to cut a small piece of t-stat wire to jump out the flow switch on the clients equipment. Almost forgot, I used the scissors ran into some issues. They were medium zip tires at most. And the scissors had a bit of a hard time cutting the zip tie. They also kind of hurt my fingers. I also used them on some TC wire to cut the ends off after twisting them together.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 108.33 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 115.51 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 113.37 KB)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:47:51 AM by jlwatso1 »

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #54 on: January 16, 2016, 05:46:49 AM
DAY 15

Well... This challenge is half way over and while I can't say that I'm not going through withdrawals from not carrying my Surge, I can say that the Powerlock has proven itself to be a very useful multitool. I also think when I deside to carry my PT-540 I will be more comfortable.

Today I used it to woller out some copper so I could fit the end of the swedging tool in to make a joint to extend the line set.  I also used it to cut the straps to unbox the cassettes for the next ductless VRF setup. Normally, I would use the outside opening knife, but since the Powerlock is lacking in that department, I used the cutters on the plier head. First I kept the strap flat and it took 2 cuts. Then I folded it it two and was able to cut it in one cut.

Thoughts on the Powerlock
I haven't tried out the saw yet, but it looks mean. The scissors are lacking and dig into your fingers. As mentioned before they are hard to lock in place. Some of the tools feel wobbly, I may have to tighten the screw. I really have no need for a can opener or bottle opener but the extra screwdrivers are nice. Perhaps I might use the Dremel to cut the can opener down into a longer small flat head. The Phillips is nice, but wish it was a #2. The bit driver would be nice If I hadn't lost the spring or if it's replacement would come in the mail before the end of the challenge. (I plan to use some heat shrink as mentioned by MTO aficionado.) Tool covers/comfort grips got removed very quickly. I am in agreeance with other MTOers when it comes to wishing SOG would have rolled the edges instead of using the comfort grips. I like the compound gripping power, but don't like that you can't open one side of the tool at a time for longer reach. The tools seem too close together and open as I am trying to get other tools open. And lastly, the nail nicks are very little help to open each tool.

I do like the plier head being rounded and the wire strippers/cutters work well. The pliers are very smooth to open and close. I find myself opening and closing them.

image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 76.24 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 73.87 KB)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 05:49:14 AM by jlwatso1 »

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #55 on: January 16, 2016, 05:51:48 AM
A week has passed since my Powerlock blade SNAFU.... Finger is healing slowly. I took the rest of the nail off even though it was still attached. Thought I'd post a few pics.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 87.63 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 63.8 KB)

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #56 on: January 16, 2016, 06:23:15 AM
I've also removed the covers.  Tried the saw in the PL and wasn't too impressed.  Leatherman and Victorinox saws are better.  Seems the SOG saw is shorter and only cuts on the pull stroke.

Was it really necessary to show more pictures of your finger?  The images made me clench so tight I may not get out of this chair 'til morning.  My salvation might be to use the PL to prise myself free.  Rest assured, there will not be any pictures of that procedure.

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #57 on: January 16, 2016, 06:29:49 AM
I've also removed the covers.  Tried the saw in the PL and wasn't too impressed.  Leatherman and Victorinox saws are better.  Seems the SOG saw is shorter and only cuts on the pull stroke.

Was it really necessary to show more pictures of your finger?  The images made me clench so tight I may not get out of this chair 'til morning.  My salvation might be to use the PL to prise myself free.  Rest assured, there will not be any pictures of that procedure.

Alright.... Since apparently some people are a bit squeamish (Cough) Alan (Cough), I'll try to refrain from posting any more pics of my finger. :rofl: My Bad!

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #58 on: January 16, 2016, 06:32:14 AM
Don't let me stop you.  You're very lucky to still have that fingertip.

Remember, pain is temporary, glory is everlasting, and chicks dig scars.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 06:34:37 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #59 on: January 16, 2016, 02:42:31 PM
Don't let me stop you.  You're very lucky to still have that fingertip.

Remember, pain is temporary, glory is everlasting, and chicks dig scars.

I know that's for sure glad I didn't lose the tip. Cool quote. :tu: Is it an original?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%