Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Power and the meaning of life... January challenge!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Power and the meaning of life... January challenge!
on: January 01, 2016, 04:47:10 PM
Day 1; January 1st 2016

I'll start this first day with a picture of my Pocket Powerplier in its current configuration. I'm hoping and expecting it to change during the month (that's within the rules, right).
Right now what started as a standard model s44 had to loose the can opener/small screwdriver to make space for the 1/4" driver (the can opener can't sit next to the Philips). Once I get a decent way of carrying a bit set the Philips might have to go though.

The background is my workbench, living in a one room apartment is hard when you're used to having plenty of space but for now this works decently.
2016-01-01 16.34.50.jpg
* 2016-01-01 16.34.50.jpg (Filesize: 66.92 KB)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Power and the meaning of life... January challenge!
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 05:27:06 PM
Day 1; January 1st 2016

I'll start this first day with a picture of my Pocket Powerplier in its current configuration. I'm hoping and expecting it to change during the month (that's within the rules, right).
Right now what started as a standard model s44 had to loose the can opener/small screwdriver to make space for the 1/4" driver (the can opener can't sit next to the Philips). Once I get a decent way of carrying a bit set the Philips might have to go though.

The background is my workbench, living in a one room apartment is hard when you're used to having plenty of space but for now this works decently.
I hear you. Trying to get any kind of DIY work done is hard when you are confined to an apartment, especially when you are not on the first floor. i feel fortunate to have two balconies (two floor apartment), allowing me to have a space to work, but my tools are stored on the second floor, and my "workbench" is on the third.... big projects are tiring before I even start.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 07:38:32 PM
Hmmm, my can opener sits right next to my Phillips and it works fine. Mine is set up like this: V-cut, cap lifter, can opener, Phillips. Other handle is file, awl, 1/4" adapter.

At any rate, good on you for adapting your SOG to suit your needs! :salute: Besides the compound leverage, the ability to customize is SOG's biggest selling points :tu:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 07:40:07 PM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 08:05:34 PM
Hmmm, my can opener sits right next to my Phillips and it works fine. Mine is set up like this: V-cut, cap lifter, can opener, Phillips. Other handle is file, awl, 1/4" adapter.

At any rate, good on you for adapting your SOG to suit your needs! :salute: Besides the compound leverage, the ability to customize is SOG's biggest selling points :tu:

Yes, I really like the idea of modding it to suit my needs. As for the Philips, your challenge topic seems to show a older model (hex instead of allen rivet heads) and possibly something has changed, the screwdriver tips collide. Or possibly it makes a difference what tool you put on what side.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 08:18:30 PM

Yes, I really like the idea of modding it to suit my needs. As for the Philips, your challenge topic seems to show a older model (hex instead of allen rivet heads) and possibly something has changed, the screwdriver tips collide. Or possibly it makes a difference what tool you put on what side.

I'm talking about in my Pocket PowerPlier I have it set up as I mentioned in previous comment. Although, now that you mention it, my can opener is right next to the Phillips on my PowerLock, too :tu:
u can do it.jpg
* u can do it.jpg (Filesize: 49.93 KB)
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 11:29:50 PM

I'm talking about in my Pocket PowerPlier I have it set up as I mentioned in previous comment. Although, now that you mention it, my can opener is right next to the Phillips on my PowerLock, too :tu:

Sorry, misunderstood your point. I'll have to have a look at that.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 11:33:22 AM
Sorry, misunderstood your point. I'll have to have a look at that.

Ok, the can opener still can't sit next to the Philips. The good news is that it was possible to get all the tools in anyway. Current configuration:

Handle 1: Blade, driver, awl.
Handle 2: File, can opener, cap lifter, Philips.

Edit: And that was my 42nd post...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:35:38 AM by Fortytwo »

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 02:42:28 PM
Today's picture will be a cross-post from the Mod Squad section. A mock-up of a pocket clip for the P3.
2016-01-02 14.27.16.jpg
* 2016-01-02 14.27.16.jpg (Filesize: 61.81 KB)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 05:49:21 PM
Ive been thinking of a clip for the PPP gor a while now. I wonder if a clip from a Sidekick would work?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 10:47:36 PM
Ive been thinking of a clip for the PPP gor a while now. I wonder if a clip from a Sidekick would work?

The rivet post is 3/16" but you don't really want to add the clip on that side but rather on the screw side (if that makes sense? the point is that the rivet post is short as it is and I'd be afraid of wobbling). That side would want a 3,5 mm hole (or pretty darn close to it, I'd assume it's actually a imperial size).

I don't have a clip to transplant, would want to deep carry it and would like the lanyard hole so I'll have a go at making my own instead. We'll se how that goes, I have the tools (and hopefully the material will work out fine) but not really any place to use power tools (the GF dislikes metal dust in our apartment, strange creatures women... ::)).

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 11:32:25 PM
Time-zones... I was afraid of missing today's post (11:30 PM around here) and now I realize there's plenty of time in the Americas. Weird!

Pictured today is the P3 with a package from Germany. Some material for a future carry solution (It'll have to wait until I have made that clip).
2016-01-03 21.47.07.jpg
* 2016-01-03 21.47.07.jpg (Filesize: 106.13 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 11:17:04 PM
These couple of days has so far been fairly uneventful, I made the odd jobs around the place on Dec 31st (stupid me, I should have saved the photo-opportunities :P).
I did get the next step on my pocket clip done. The rough cut took a surprising amount of time, especially since I had to hop on my bike to find a workshop where I could do the dirty work (basement of the local fraternity-equivalent).
2016-01-04 23.03.45.jpg
* 2016-01-04 23.03.45.jpg (Filesize: 91.83 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 05:18:41 PM
I can't wait to see how it turns out.
Nate

SEND IT!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 10:01:59 PM
'nother calm day for the SOG, it really had to take the backstage while I was carrying the flag at a funeral. That's me in the uniform dress. It's not quite a dress uniform but rather the other way around. The P3 did make a heroic effort and opened up a couple of beverages afterwards.
2016-01-05 16.23.32.jpg
* 2016-01-05 16.23.32.jpg (Filesize: 57.91 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 10:20:43 PM
Day 6:

So, the clip is coming along slowly (I have a self-imposed power tool ban in the apartment). The observant among you will notice a slight lack of clip-iness on the clip. I'll get to that. Hopefully tomorrow. For now I felt the first step was to get the attachment point right (and I'm pretty darn close now, just a small sliver of light showing through).
2016-01-06 22.08.35.jpg
* 2016-01-06 22.08.35.jpg (Filesize: 65.1 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 11:52:24 AM
 :tu:   :tu:   :tu:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 12:19:39 AM
Day 07:

Local time is now 00:20 AM, 8th of January. I guess depending on how you define a day this means I'm out. My spiritual day is still the 7th and unless the judges that be says otherwise I'll continue on with the challenge. The P3 got a couple of new tools today.
2016-01-08 00.13.47.jpg
* 2016-01-08 00.13.47.jpg (Filesize: 56.48 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 11:16:49 PM
January 8:

The pocket clip has reached a point where it's usable. It'd eat trousers for breakfast, lunch and dinner but at least it's fairly clearly a pocket clip. Time to move onto the sharp corners and the lanyard hole.
2016-01-08 22.39.42.jpg
* 2016-01-08 22.39.42.jpg (Filesize: 42.63 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 10:31:57 PM
January 9th:

If nothing else this challenge shows why my usual carry is a tiered system with the pliers-based tool in the day-bag. A SAK is just as good but faster and lighter at doing most of the day to day stuff that comes up for me. This time the P3 opened the local Christmas beverage of choice. It's a bit overkill...

Had this challenge been in the summer or even Easter the case might have been another as I'll be looking at some renovation work. But now, nothing really.
2016-01-09 19.27.32.jpg
* 2016-01-09 19.27.32.jpg (Filesize: 83.69 KB)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 11:06:02 PM
Julmust! We randomly got a bunch at the base commissary last December and my Wife hooked me up, knowing I would be anxious to try it. I had heard of it before but never tasted the stuff. Kinda weird, but good. I wouldn't drink it year round but it was an awesome holiday treat

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 10, 2016, 06:14:58 PM
Julmust! We randomly got a bunch at the base commissary last December and my Wife hooked me up, knowing I would be anxious to try it. I had heard of it before but never tasted the stuff. Kinda weird, but good. I wouldn't drink it year round but it was an awesome holiday treat

Interesting, do you have any Swedish connection? Ancestry? The julmust was supposedly thought up by the temperance movement as a more mature, alcohol free, alternative to the beer and spirits typically consumed in great quantities at all Swedish holidays.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 10, 2016, 06:37:53 PM
January 10th:

The girlfriend has a friend over for a discussion about French poetry and while they drink Limoncello I thought it a good time for some Whisky.

Glamour shot it is then.
2016-01-10 18.29.17.jpg
* 2016-01-10 18.29.17.jpg (Filesize: 63.42 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 09:59:36 PM
January 11th:

I'll mirror Powernoodle's sentiment in that while the tool get carried, most uses aren't very photogenic. Today, after I shaved my mattress with another knife (first time I've missed full PE...), the P3 got to do some shaving too. Any fellow from the Alps will have to forgive me, this is probably not how to care for your Loden but the arms were starting to gather pills (is this the right word, I had to search around to translate it, a couple of translators suggester burls but that didn't seem right).
2016-01-11 21.44.33.jpg
* 2016-01-11 21.44.33.jpg (Filesize: 100.07 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 04:57:34 AM
Pills is correct.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 05:59:15 AM
You're good! I know them as pills :tu:

Interesting, do you have any Swedish connection? Ancestry? The julmust was supposedly thought up by the temperance movement as a more mature, alcohol free, alternative to the beer and spirits typically consumed in great quantities at all Swedish holidays.

No Swedish ancestry (at least that I know of). I lived in eastern North Dakota for 7 years as a kid and visited my older Sister in extreme northern Minnesota, so I got exposed to a little bit of Scandinavian-influenced communities growing up. I'm also a bit of a soda pop aficionado. The Air Force commissaries do a good job of getting what people ask for since people end up in a certain place from anywhere else in the world. It goes a long way for making people happier and to feel more at home when they can get those foods that they would not normally be able to find. I guess maybe that's how Julmust ended up in Central Montana

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 11:29:22 PM
January 12th:

Sorry for the bad picture today, 'tis a little unsharp :whistle:
What it's meant to show is me dismantling a beat up Ronson Varaflame in hope of finding a spare gasket.
No luck on that. I'll have to devise a way to manufacture one instead. I have one from before in much better condition but with a leaking burner valve. I did get a replacement for the missing inlet valve cover and at $2.5 for this entire lighter I count that as a success...

No Swedish ancestry (at least that I know of). I lived in eastern North Dakota for 7 years as a kid and visited my older Sister in extreme northern Minnesota, so I got exposed to a little bit of Scandinavian-influenced communities growing up. I'm also a bit of a soda pop aficionado. The Air Force commissaries do a good job of getting what people ask for since people end up in a certain place from anywhere else in the world. It goes a long way for making people happier and to feel more at home when they can get those foods that they would not normally be able to find. I guess maybe that's how Julmust ended up in Central Montana

Fair enough, it's always nice to see some cultural exchange. And as far as exporting goods there are far worse than julmust! :D
2016-01-12 18.32.36.jpg
* 2016-01-12 18.32.36.jpg (Filesize: 67.33 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 10:40:19 PM
January 13th:

The P3 tries desperately to file away at some future SAK brass liner. It's not very effective!
SOG, step up your game!
2016-01-13 22.30.58.jpg
* 2016-01-13 22.30.58.jpg (Filesize: 58.19 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 11:59:35 PM
January 14th:

Two weeks have past and it's starting to draw close to half time. Today's picture is meant to show my current  setup, as I will walk through the tools and draw some preliminary conclusions:

Pliers: This of course is where SOG shines, I really can't say anything bad about them. Some might have problems with the wide angle splay but that's the price for compound leverage. The action is really smooth and I find my self opening and closing it just to feel it. This doesn't mean there isn't place for improvement, the wire crimper of the larger cousins should be possible to add here too. On the other hand, it can be done with regular pliers too.
3-Sided File: To put it simply, this one is bad. The file on the PST is miles better and so is basically any file for that matter. It's one good feature is the large flat screwdriver on the end, but then again a by-feature can never fully redeem a bad tool.
Can Opener: I haven't tried it myself but from the pictures others have posted it really seems more like a can't opener. Strange since they basically stole Victorinox's design that works.
Bottle Opener: Nothing to say here really, it works but doesn't bring anything that not every tool in existence has...
Philips Screwdriver: Everyone ever seems to have understood that PH2 is the most common size (my girlfriends cheap kit of driver and bits came with 1 of each of everything else and 5 (five!) PH2). Except SOG, they brought along a PH1 for the party. And a badly made one at that. The hole in mine was far from round and the unevenness allowed a fair dose of metal grit to follow from the factory.
1/2 Serrated Blade: In theory I like the idea of the half serrated blade. I don't carry a multi-tool for the nice edge, it just needs to have one and since cordage and the like is quite likely to be a fair part of any cutting I do with this it's nice. Same goes with the cop-out of using a chisel grind. The one problem I see with the blade is that the bevel is hidden from view when held in the right hand, which is hardly a game-breaker.
1/4" Drive: I bought this to add to the versatility and I think it's a far better solution than what LM uses. Especially here in Europe where a replacement for a worn out LM PH2 could easily cost you 30$. To this I bought a decent adapter and a cheap set of bits. I don't really see what added value SOG brings to the table to warrant their 20$ price tag. (except if your tool is of the BO kind).
Awl: Great thing, both before and after my regrind (done mostly because I really liked the PST awl).
2016-01-14 23.12.42.jpg
* 2016-01-14 23.12.42.jpg (Filesize: 68.6 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 11:04:12 PM
Not much to report today, just another studio shot.
2016-01-15 23.02.07.jpg
* 2016-01-15 23.02.07.jpg (Filesize: 58.67 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 16, 2016, 08:09:10 PM
January 16th:

Going out, obviously the P3 is joining together with some trusty Jack Daniels.
2016-01-16 20.00.21.jpg
* 2016-01-16 20.00.21.jpg (Filesize: 75.42 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%