Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Brief review: MP600 Bladeless

kirk13 · 25 · 7124

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Brief review: MP600 Bladeless
on: January 09, 2016, 12:08:19 AM
This isn't going to be a long,in depth review,as I think we're all reasonably familiar with the MP600 family.

I will say up front,a big  :salute: to Gerber for bringing a true bladeless tool back into the market. I hope we'll see more of them!

The Bladeless is the 600 we know and love. It rattles. It flicks nicely,straight out of the box. The tool load is tools we're all familiar with;the stubby three-d Phillips,the really useful(to me at least) small flat driver;medium flat with cap lifter,and large(ish) flat driver. Add to that the file,with single and double cut sides,and the blade exchanger with remgrit type blade. The scissors are Fiskers type,and are some of the best you'll get on a Multitool.

If I'd a choice,I think I'd like to see an awl added,and a longer,beefier large flat driver to double up as a pry bar.

There's been an awful lot of discussion about the replaceable carbide cutters on the plier head,but,for a lightish plier user like myself,I can't see them being an issue,but I do wonder if the conventional plier head,be it needle nosed or blunt nosed,would have great inherent strength?

Overall,I'm just glad to have a 600 back on call;I miss my modded one.

So:
Pros
Good tool load
Truly UK legal!
The AK47 of multitools!

Cons
Lacks an awl
Some doubts about the carbide cutters
Could be seen as being crude
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 12:37:58 AM by kirk13 »
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Re: Brief review: MP600 Bladeless
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 12:43:51 AM
Nice write up. :tu: It would be nice jf they had a stainless version. Are the scissors the same from the mp400?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 12:47:36 AM
Thank you :salute:

Yes,they're the same,and yes,I'd like to see it in stainless as well :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 12:59:23 AM
A few other thoughts,not directly related to the basic tool.

Ironically,this was the cheapest 600 available on Amazon at the time I placed the order,by a factor of about £10,which made it the no brainer choice...£55 for the tool I don't need to mod over £65 for the basic one,or £75 for the one that has the tools I want,but still need to mod!

If I were in the States,I think I'd have gone down the route of buying beaters off eBay and building my own. 50ft-trad mentioned elsewhere he'd prefer the no carbide blunt nose plier,and I think I agree with him on this.

As time goes on,I may swap out the BO file for a stainless one,and I may swap out the plier head,but time will tell

us Offline BASguy

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 03:17:14 AM
I really find the small tech driver to be very useful as well.  I agree that a larger flat driver/pry would be useful.  I'm not a big fan of the RemGrit saw, and would like to see regular wood/drywall saw blade.  Overall, great tool and nice review.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

Offline Ryo Saeba

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 04:53:10 AM
My guess is that they went with the removable saw to make it more travel friendly.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 05:36:40 AM
Good review John!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 09:07:25 AM
Thank you everyone :salute:

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 07:13:20 PM
I really find the small tech driver to be very useful as well.  I agree that a larger flat driver/pry would be useful.  I'm not a big fan of the RemGrit saw, and would like to see regular wood/drywall saw blade.  Overall, great tool and nice review.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

My thoughts exactly.  The Remgrit is...meh..ok, but a proper wood saw would suit me more.

Nice write-up Kirky. :cheers:  I actually made up my own version of the Bladeless (stainless, blunt nosed, carbide cutters) when the production one was first announced.  I have to admit I've not carried it a lot, but I've just dug it out to give it an airing. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 07:29:21 PM
I was tempted enough that I ordered one this morning  :facepalm:

I will be changing out the Rem-grit (thing) for a saw though
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 10:21:44 PM
My guess is that they went with the removable saw to make it more travel friendly.

Hmmm, I never gave that a thought, because...
I removed the flat retention spring for the saw and installed a better metal saw blade with epoxy. ( JB Weld, for steel)

It is in there solid and no movement at all. I tested it by cutting a nail with no problems.

Yes, it's now about permanent, but I didn't care at the time.
After reading the comment above, maybe it was not as clever as I had thought? 
 It possibly will unlikely be welcomed in security restricted areas.
Oh well, who needs a multi tool. especially away from one's work bench?  :think:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 10:13:56 PM
I want to like this MP600 just because its unique for what it is (bladeless) but the potential shattering of the cutters keeps me leary of puling the trigger on one.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 10:27:03 PM
I want to like this MP600 just because its unique for what it is (bladeless) but the potential shattering of the cutters keeps me leary of puling the trigger on one.

In the end of the day TJ,if that happens,or,if it's too big a problem,drop a conventions plier head in. MPs are one of the easiest multis to work on :tu:

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 12:10:53 PM

I agree    :whistle:

For me, if it has a saw then is not bladeless   :facepalm:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 11:05:11 AM
I wish i could swap my MP400 partially serrated blade that i rarely (never?) use by this jigsaw blade holder from the MP600-bladeless

:gimme:
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 02:44:45 PM
I wish i could swap my MP400 partially serrated blade that i rarely (never?) use by this jigsaw blade holder from the MP600-bladeless

I think it might be do-able. The old MultiLite could hold a bladechanger,and it's shorter than a 400,it's just the question of is the 400 chassis wide enough :think:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 03:02:09 PM

I think it might be do-able. The old MultiLite could hold a bladechanger,and it's shorter than a 400,it's just the question of is the 400 chassis wide enough :think:
The MultiLite did not have the trademark RemgritBlade though, but a stubby metal-saw.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 03:14:24 PM

The MultiLite did not have the trademark RemgritBlade though, but a stubby metal-saw.

Very true!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 03:28:45 PM

Very true!
According to J-sews image I found, you should be fine length wise...

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 04:45:18 AM
I agree that it's overall a pretty solid MT.

Lots of complaints by Amazon reviewers about the carbide cutter shattering. I only tried to cut copper wire with mine, but it wasn't even up to that; it just kind of gnawed around it and jammed tight. Maybe the worst wire cutter in the whole business. That's a deal-killer to me, as an electrical engineer. I'd rather they kept the original design, and just did a better job hardening the cutter section. Or use exotic steel inserts, ala Leatherman.

Start watching this video of mine at 2:10 to see the Epic Fail in action:

Jump ahead to the SOG PowerLock to see the best wire cutter in the business.

I never got the chance to use the RemGrit blade on mine; TSA took it from me. I argued like hell about that, and made a nice little scene in the airport. But lost anyway. Gosh, it irks me even to think of it.  :rant:
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 05:16:57 AM
Going a little OT here now...

Dammit, I just talked myself into a Pro Scout.

I guess I finally get to blame you, Kirky.  :cheers:

One question on the Pro Scout: Do the longer handles let the plier head sit fully within the handles, or are the longer handles just to house longer tools?
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 05:26:09 AM
Going a little OT here now...

Dammit, I just talked myself into a Pro Scout.

I guess I finally get to blame you, Kirky.  :cheers:

One question on the Pro Scout: Do the longer handles let the plier head sit fully within the handles, or are the longer handles just to house longer tools?

The Pro Scout's handles are identical to every other MP600's. Only difference is the tool loadout.

Offline asb

Reply #22 on: December 18, 2016, 02:54:13 AM
Hey.

Leatherman user here when it comes to MT's. Mainly since i started out with one of those and it just continued.

Anyhow. This tool feels like already mentioned tons of times, the AK47 of MT's.

Anyhow. I use my MT several Times' every day so i wont go out without one. And the blade is being used on the tool most of the time. But if i carry some sort of a folder the knife is what i use to cut things, and i really enjoy using a knife. Right now i run light knives like SAK swiss Bianco's or my kershaw chill. And IF im not going out to the Woods i often leave the Wave at home to give the Juice S2 some work time.

I live in Sweden and we have odd knife laws. You can carry a knife IF your intentions are to use it as a knife is supposed to basicly. Which means it is up to the police officer to descide your fate.

Now i have never been stopped for carrying a blade or a MT even If i am in the middle of he shopping streets and it is showing on my belt or pocket. But i often feel that if i am visiting such crowded places i can leave the knife in the car and just have the MT on me. And thats what got me thinking about a bladeless MT and i had looken at this gerber for some time so i thought this would be perfect  and soon it will be a bew toy for this Guy in the near future.

And of course i also want a MT i can travel with without any problems, and that MT is supposed to be a workibg tool and not that new Barbie tool that Leatherman put out as a airplane secure one.

So cant wait. Already uses Gerber as fixed blade so now the time has come to give this shot.

Take care everyone.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #23 on: December 18, 2016, 08:51:01 PM
Hey.

Leatherman user here when it comes to MT's. Mainly since i started out with one of those and it just continued.

Anyhow. I use my MT several Times' every day so i wont go out without one. And the blade is being used on the tool most of the time. But if i carry some sort of a folder the knife is what i use to cut things, and i really enjoy using a knife. Right now i run light knives like SAK swiss Bianco's or my kershaw chill. And IF im not going out to the Woods i often leave the Wave at home to give the Juice S2 some work time.

I live in Sweden and we have odd knife laws. You can carry a knife IF your intentions are to use it as a knife is supposed to basicly. Which means it is up to the police officer to descide your fate.

Now i have never been stopped for carrying a blade or a MT even If i am in the middle of he shopping streets and it is showing on my belt or pocket. But i often feel that if i am visiting such crowded places i can leave the knife in the car and just have the MT on me. And thats what got me thinking about a bladeless MT and i had looken at this gerber for some time so i thought this would be perfect  and soon it will be a bew toy for this Guy in the near future.

And of course i also want a MT i can travel with without any problems, and that MT is supposed to be a workibg tool and not that new Barbie tool that Leatherman put out as a airplane secure one.

So cant wait. Already uses Gerber as fixed blade so now the time has come to give this shot.

Take care everyone.

nice choice. And they are not as spendy as most LM, in case airport security remains as stubborn as it often is   :pok:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline asb

Reply #24 on: December 18, 2016, 11:23:14 PM
Hey.

Take care everyone.

nice choice. And they are not as spendy as most LM, in case airport security remains as stubborn as it often is   :pok:

(Image removed from quote.)

Hehe Yeah.

And then i can Also motivate myself to carry knifes again when possible. Some work scenarios means i cant have a knife on me. I work with mentally ill people that Also are drug addicts. And most of the time i use a MT and a knife when helping them out in their apartments. But on some occasions a knife can meen trouble or danger.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%