Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show your FENIX E01s :D

N_N_R · 31 · 4178

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Show your FENIX E01s :D
on: January 12, 2016, 08:28:11 PM
Yeah, you read it correctly :D The good old E01. I think we don't have a thread about it yet this year  >:D

:D

I keep using these and keep loving them and keep wondering what I love about them, but I do love them. So, show yours, beat up or brand new, if you have any :D

I've been EDCing one again for a couple of days now. Here are the black one I EDC, the blue one stays on my table .. and I have a third, black one, in my BOB.

us Offline powernoodle

Re: Show your FENIX E01s :D
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 10:23:47 PM
I have about half a dozen of them, but no handy pics.  I am more into the E05 these days.  But the E01 is a cost-efficient and long-running light.  Excellent back-up light on a keychain for those pesky "oops I'm trapped in an elevator for 5 hour" events.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 07:36:40 AM
Indeed. On another well-known forum they ran whatnot tests on the poor thing and it just kept running.
This will probably remain a most "beloved" light for many just like the Solitaire was before :think:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:25:42 PM
I've been back to carrying my E01 for about a week.  There really is just something about them.  :tu:  Mine is in the grey, which either is a tougher finish or, at the least, doesn't show the wear as much as other colours.
WIN_20160113_122025.JPG
* WIN_20160113_122025.JPG (Filesize: 344.67 KB)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 01:39:55 PM
I don't think i have any  :think:

I did buy a couple for my parents a few years ago, and they are still working and being carried  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 02:13:50 PM
@Gareth,

I love the olive drab :tu:

@50ft-trad

You should get one for you :D It may not be the most awesome technology there is, but they're just lovely

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 02:31:14 PM
Nah, I have too many other lights that struggle to win any pocket time already  :D as for keys, the Nitecore Tube is working far too well to be replaced  ;)

I do have a couple of lights in the same format though, so I do know how useful they are. I have the Tempo variation in the BG Strata pack, plus the Nitecore T0, same single mode, low output, long runtime formula  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 06:49:52 PM
I haven't carried mine in ages, and I have about half a dozen in various places.

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 03:57:18 AM
 The Fenix EO1 started yet another obsession of mine a few years back
Still a serviceable light,  but has been replaced with flashlights with more lumens

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 07:18:14 AM
Still a serviceable light,  but has been replaced with flashlights with more lumens

It was the E01 that started my flashlight obsession, too  :gimme:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 10:35:19 AM

Mine too :D .......................... >:D :cry: ::)

I have better lights now but I still carry a E01 and have stashed some around as well as given some as presents. I see the one I carry as my "personal space light" or a nice little electrical candle if you will :tu:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:36:26 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 11:58:29 PM

To tell the whole story the E01 also started an obsession with rechargeable  batteries and Battery
Chargers ,  as well

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 05:53:51 AM
hmmmm.
I thought I posted but its not here.

I have had a few E01's but the only one that has not been lost is still living on my wifes keyring.
Leatherman got Fenix to make the S series of lights, the S1 is an E01 with a clicky and clip.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 05:46:47 PM
This little guy has been banging around only keyring for a couple of years now, maybe three, and it's been soooo great! I even went out and bought a couple spares to space around. Good amount of light, extremely reliable, and small as a pinky. LOve the E01!

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 06:38:34 PM

Here is the E01's big brother:  the Fenix E05.   At about $5 more than the E01 on Amazon, and in the same size as the E01 you get 14 hours at 8 lumens, 4 hours at 25 lumens or about one hour at 85 lumens.  But the E01 prevails at simplicity, with lower cost and simple on-off functionality.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 06:39:26 PM
Awesome pictures guys :salute:

There are so many better and brighter lights out there, but I just can't help but loving the E01 :think:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 07:04:14 PM
There are so many better and brighter lights out there, but I just can't help but loving the E01 :think:

Sounds like why Mrs. Powernoodle has stayed married to me.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 07:06:00 PM
 :rofl:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 12:58:47 AM

Here is the E01's big brother:  the Fenix E05.   At about $5 more than the E01 on Amazon, and in the same size as the E01 you get 14 hours at 8 lumens, 4 hours at 25 lumens or about one hour at 85 lumens.  But the E01 prevails at simplicity, with lower cost and simple on-off functionality.

That is exactly why I love the E01 so much; the simplicity.

I looked at the E05, but I just didn't want the multiple levels. All I wanted was a simple twist on light with "enough" light for my use. The E01 has done that. For 99.99% of my use, the level of illumination from the E01 is enough to see hat I've doing or where I'm going in a dark place.

I've used the E01 like my Victorinox classic; as a gateway drug for the non flashlight carrying members of the family. All members of the jackknife clan now have Vic classics and Fenix E01's on their key rings.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 07:12:54 AM
I still have the old E05 with one mode. Simple like the E01 but not as tough or long running.

Love the Vic classic pairing with an E01, more so if it's an Alox classic. My wife chose the manager on her keyring with the E01.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 07:49:01 AM
I also bought the older, one-mode version of the E05, but long after I'd bought an E01. Aaaand despite its cuteness... I sold it, because the 25 lumens just didn't last long enough, of course.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 03:49:51 AM
I'd like to be able to post a pic of my E01, but I left a battery in too long.  With those hard aluminum bodies, it a battery swells, that's the end of it.  Never dig one out.  Make it a habit to change batteries every 6 months now.
- Steve

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 07:21:05 AM
I'd like to be able to post a pic of my E01, but I left a battery in too long.  With those hard aluminum bodies, it a battery swells, that's the end of it.  Never dig one out.  Make it a habit to change batteries every 6 months now.

Never use Alkalines in any light you want to keep.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 07:40:12 AM
Yeah, I personally haven't ever used, ok, never is too strong, on very rare occasions have I used alkalines in my flashlights. Those disgusting memories of batteries leaking inside my father's old flashlights in my childhood are still strong today :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 03:12:48 AM

Never use Alkalines in any light you want to keep.

So what other option is there for something like an E01?
- Steve

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 07:43:52 AM
Rechargeable Ni-Mh AAAs :)

Preferably Eneloops :D

My first Eneloops are from 2008, I've been using them non-stop and only now I'm considering replacing them because they don't hold charge for that long anymore. It's been 8 years, so they're totally worth it.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 08:08:33 AM
I agree, eneloops are my preferred battery for most situations ( I have dozens of them), but for for a light that is used very infrequently where you want confidence that it will work OK when needed, use primary Lithium batteries (1.5volt) eg "Energizer Ultimate Lithium".  These have a very long shelf life (the current claim is "Holds power up to 20 years" although I've never tried to keep one that long without using it), and I've never had one leak yet. 

They are also useful for something that uses very little power over a long time (eg battery clock) where you don't want to be bothered changing batteries for as long as possible (eg difficult to access location).

Alkaline batteries are often referred to as "Alkaleaks" for good reason.  I don't put them in anything that I value as they are just too prone to leaking and corroding equipment or getting stuck (they often swell at the same time as they leak).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:11:45 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 01:36:10 PM
So which would be better for something you put in a glove box, infrequent use, hot and cold exposure.  Ni-Mh or Lithium?
- Steve

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 02:19:35 PM
So which would be better for something you put in a glove box, infrequent use, hot and cold exposure.  Ni-Mh or Lithium?

I should think Lithium primaries. Greater capacity and slow self-discharge and they also handle cold better than other cells.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 02:26:45 PM

I should think Lithium primaries. Greater capacity and slow self-discharge and they also handle cold better than other cells.

+1 ^

If you really wanted to use rechargeables then low self-discharge Ni-Mh (eg eneloop) will work as long as you are prepared to swap in freshly charged battery/ies in the light every 6 months (approx), otherwise you could end up with a battery with not much charge left just when you really need it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:28:11 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%