Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Daringly Different........renewable light

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Daringly Different........renewable light
on: January 18, 2016, 10:20:18 AM
Hi Everybody

My hate-affair with all things battery powered (thus completely non-renewable) continues, not the end of the world but my latest LED Lenser headlight's battery saver function is just the newest cause/example  :twak:

Which made me think: Are there any good, or at least functional non-battery-powered lights out there?

One local chain store carries little wind-up LED torches, considered them many times but the quality is not great, and the price high!
Also, the weight made me suspect there's some form of rechargeable battery in there?

Wondered while I was typing if there are "capacitor-powered flashlights "..........and realized that's an easy enough google-search  :D .....and yes, you do  :D    5.11 PC3.300 still has to be charged.....

Anything remorely good out there?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Daringly Different........renewable light
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 10:25:45 AM

:D :D :D

I have bought some of the windable ones and usually the handles break, they need to be charged, they are weak.. Usually you can use them directly, as you wind them, or they store the energy in a battery, and they can be used any time you want them.

Maybe there are some that work with a spring, where winding tenses the spring and then it runs a dynamo.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 11:23:15 AM
 :D :D :D :D

Your first suggestion is..........non-renewable :assimilate:

:D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 11:29:41 AM
sorted:

Not much help, I know..   :)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 11:38:09 AM
Well, Carbide lamps are great. It has good shelf life and gives good light. Although I think its not so widely available anymore (might even be restricted depending on where you are).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 11:40:06 AM
More renewable but less portable would be the GravityLight

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 12:13:06 PM
Last time I looked ( a couple of years ago) there were no good quality crank-type lights (and a lot that were just rubbish). 

In terms of practical, available renewables how about a conventional LED light (torch/flashlight depending on where you live), running on rechargeable eneloop AA batteries charged up by a solar panel charger ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 12:47:45 PM
More renewable but less portable would be the GravityLight

Very Cool  :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 01:19:45 PM
Last time I looked ( a couple of years ago) there were no good quality crank-type lights (and a lot that were just rubbish). 

In terms of practical, available renewables how about a conventional LED light (torch/flashlight depending on where you live), running on rechargeable eneloop AA batteries charged up by a solar panel charger ?

Thanks for the replies on crank-type lights.....saved a few $$ not finding out for myself  8)

gregozedobe - Your suggestion is good, and it made me question my parameters.

Simple fact is I have enough AA and AAA rechargeable batteries and chargers, and as long as I take the Petzl instead of the LED Lenser I should have light for longer than any trip I've ever done, so normal situations are not a problem.

I've often wondered about but almost never needed light when I fall out of the hammock at 2am to take a leak, but what if it's another call of nature around the camp.........? And I'm not headed home in 2 days, but out there for the long haul.....?

I have no problem trusting electronics, no moving parts, the problem is always just the power source.  :think:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 01:22:10 PM
Had crank flashlight, looked cool. Was useless. Gave it away in a Secret Santa Geocache  :whistle:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 10:20:58 PM

Thanks for the replies on crank-type lights.....saved a few $$ not finding out for myself  8)

gregozedobe - Your suggestion is good, and it made me question my parameters.

Simple fact is I have enough AA and AAA rechargeable batteries and chargers, and as long as I take the Petzl instead of the LED Lenser I should have light for longer than any trip I've ever done, so normal situations are not a problem.

I've often wondered about but almost never needed light when I fall out of the hammock at 2am to take a leak, but what if it's another call of nature around the camp.........? And I'm not headed home in 2 days, but out there for the long haul.....?

I have no problem trusting electronics, no moving parts, the problem is always just the power source.  :think:
This sorta sounds like you never had a flashlight with a lithium-ion battery. Those last very long (unlike alkaline batteries who loose their charge over time). You should also get one with a very low setting.

Personally, I love my Olight S10R. It has a runtime of about 48h on its lowest setting (5 lumens, enough to navigate a forest in the dark) or over 5h at about 50 lumens. And if needed you can crank it up to ridiculous 500 lumens. When I want to use it as headlamp I attach it to a baseball cap.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:25:54 PM by Etherealicer »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 09:11:19 AM
If runtime and simplicity are the deciding factors, http://9voltlight.com/ is good stuff. They have ridiculous runtime on their low-light mode. I have those scattered about at home.

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 02:38:43 PM
Well the answers have been educational, love the concept of those 9V lights........taking the KISS-concept all the way  :salute:

Still, all the answers come down to x-number of hours @ x-number of Lumens.......I assume I'm looking for sausage in the dog box...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 03:23:05 PM
Well the answers have been educational, love the concept of those 9V lights........taking the KISS-concept all the way  :salute:

Still, all the answers come down to x-number of hours @ x-number of Lumens.......I assume I'm looking for sausage in the dog box...
No, what you want exists but it's not so pocket friendly... buy a bike ;)

ca Offline JP

Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 03:57:24 PM
Dynamo Power! No battery required.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 04:01:16 PM
I suggested  a dynamo before but nobody reads anything..........

ca Offline JP

Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 04:22:03 PM
Just reinforcing your suggestion

ca Offline JP

Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 04:24:02 PM
Lemons, copper, zinc, and LED.

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 08:26:37 PM
Lemons, copper, zinc, and LED.

I did the wiring for my niece's mud battery science project.....lit that LED right up!

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 08:28:07 PM
You guys solved it - get a tiny wind loader, then you only need run to have light!  :P
 :rofl:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 09:34:13 PM
You guys solved it - get a tiny wind loader, then you only need run to have light!  :P
 :rofl:
Here you go

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 10:16:01 PM
http://gravitylight.org/

Not yet available, but still pretty cool.  There are other versions out there, including DIY flavors.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%