Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Tread - a design novelty

de Offline JM_Toolfan

Leatherman Tread - a design novelty
on: January 19, 2016, 12:21:04 AM
Hi everybody, I'm missing a review of the relatively new Leatherman Tread.
I'm puzzled whether or not to ask one for present for my birthday. I is not really a tool but rather men jewelry (also considering the price...). However, I found no review about it on Multitool.org. Please shift this post there if I'm mistaken.
What I heard so far is that it provides a lot of trouble when you need to customize the circumference length to your personal wrist size. So is there anyone around who can tell us about it? Is it comfortable to wear? Is it immediate to use? Is it as sturdy as Leatherman claims? Thank U so much for your replies!!!

de Offline leatherman-shop.de

Re: Leatherman Tread - a design novelty
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:43:04 AM
I think i have read a few first reviews here, like
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,60508.0.html
Personally i do not wear jewellery, but the Tread looks cool and i thought about wearing it... :D.
The total length is about 30 cm - if your wrist is thicker you will have a problem  ;)
But most of the people i know took one or two links away to fit.  And that seems no problem, because some of the links are uncommon in Europe (metric system).
And wear it all day.
By the way: the Stainles Steel version is available in Germany - the black is expected in february. The demand of the black one in America seems to be higher than expected.
multitools for the one leaving nothing undone

fi Offline Padre

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 06:37:44 PM
Just a video I saw just a moment ago, no reason to wait the watch version if you already have a watch I guess...
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 07:30:23 PM
I have been very adverse to the Tread, but if they sold it for $50 I would probably buy one only with the intent to put a watch case of my desire on it.
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 08:22:29 PM
I have been very adverse to the Tread, but if they sold it for $50 I would probably buy one only with the intent to put a watch case of my desire on it.

And to lose additional 6 "tools" by doing so?   :P

It's already as bad as it is in its generic form, no need to degrade it even more  ;)
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:45:09 PM
I mean sure this thing isn't a real tool, but I would more rather have my favorite wrist watch and lose few bits than just have a bracelet. At least some watches have multiple "tools" on their own, like compasses and such.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 02:45:22 AM
This (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leatherman-TREAD-Multi-Tool-Professionally-Gold-Finished-/141934696768) solidifies the status of the Tread as a man jewery  :facepalm:
IMO, this tool is only suitable for really big guys, whose frames make it look small enough.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 06:03:32 AM
This (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leatherman-TREAD-Multi-Tool-Professionally-Gold-Finished-/141934696768) solidifies the status of the Tread as a man jewery  :facepalm:
IMO, this tool is only suitable for really big guys, whose frames make it look small enough.

I might have a big enough wrist and maybe even pull off the big enough man part but really don't think it gonna happen :D

:facepalm: Why would they go this route when there are plenty of other things that people want :ahhh I mean what can't they do different tool setups on the Wave or Rebar chasis similar to the way they have done the Wingman and the Sidekick :tu: but stay away from the Rev setup :twak:

Or am I so out of touch that this is what people want :facepalm: :oops:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 07:12:41 AM
Hi everybody, I'm missing a review of the relatively new Leatherman Tread.
However, I found no review about it on Multitool.org. Please shift this post there if I'm mistaken.

If you search this forum, or the LM board, on 'Tread' or 'Tread Review' - You fill find many threads discussing the Tread!!
So whilst there may not be a formal review on the main site - There is lots of discussion in the forum!  :tu:

There was also a lot of discussion in the thread 'New Wearable Multitool' - which comes up if you search for 'Tread'.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 07:21:05 AM by Huntsman »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 12:10:20 PM
Not sure Poncho65. I just bought one because I came face to face with one in my multi-tool unfriendly town. I was so surprised that I bought one on the spot despite having clearly stated that I would never buy one when the news of this bracelet came out on this web site. I am that dead set against it as a multi-tool.

It is definitely large and fairly heavy. I wouldn't say it is comfortable, but it was more so than I had anticipated. I am able to wear all the links with a little play in the bracelet. I was a bit surprised at that, because for every single metal bracelet watch I have ever bought, I have had to add several extra links to the bracelet. However, using this as a tool wouldn't be very comfortable or ergonomic. It is more fashion than functional. I must admit, after seeing and handling one in the flesh, I have to admire the ingenuity of the designers. I guess I find this an interesting curiosity.

With all that said, I bought one because I figured my collection needed at least one representative. This is something I do not see myself wearing in the future.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 12:47:17 PM
Or am I so out of touch that this is what people want :facepalm: :oops:

Lol.. reasonably sure that's what people want.

It's new, very expensive, not easily available and NOT EVEN A TOOL... however it is right now the best selling Leatherman product... if you think their salesmen are boasting on the website, just Google how many articles and movies are on this.. not only on the knife/plier media but in fashion, gadgets, jewelry everywhere...
I really don't like it but I think they hit gold with it...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 05:27:19 PM
Not sure about "best selling product" claim. It is probably hot right now, but there is no way it will get to the popularity of the Wave and Charge series.

I have a mixed feeling about the Tread. To me, the designer was too ambitious trying to scram many functions into one tool that he forwent the the cosmetic aspect for the function. For a tool to be worn openly, it lacks that "tough" look that the fashion leather bands have. The presence of its monotone is quite "invasive", compared to the subtlety of a wrist watch. In another word, I find it somewhat annoying, in-your-face... kind of presence. It is like an Invicta watch in the multi-tool world. For $200, I would like to see these made in titanium, with texture as on TTi scales. That would hopefully tone down the jewelry look and feel a bit. Oh, and Camo will be nice.  :D

I was once offered a slight used Tread for $80 on eBay, that I turned down. I thought about using it as watch band for my Seiko. However, it would do my watch a disservice by turning a nice time piece into a man's beauty item.

Just for fun: what do you think of a poor-man version for a Tread (say, "Tread PM"  :D)? I would like to see a bracelet with one or two bit adapters, and slots to hold double-end bits. It does not need to be current flat bits, but may be the whole new design. I think it would look a lot more badass with more customization.
SRG001.jpg
* SRG001.jpg (Filesize: 46.86 KB)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:28:38 PM by chrono »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 06:49:53 PM
I am sure they will be plenty of people that wouldn't ever dream of buying a plier based tool that would buy this just because it is a big clunky bracelet  :D and you never know it may open up a whole different group of people to the world of MTs :multi: I guess I might have a different view if I ever see one in person but for the price they are I would have to get a very good deal on one to add it to my collection though ;)

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 01:30:35 AM
So... yeah... I just bought a Tread, 10 minutes ago  :P A black DLC version for about $80 shipped. Seller claims mint/ unused. I know my wrist is not manly enough to proudly wear it, but the price is too good to pass up. Out of curiosity like you, Poncho.  :oops:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 01:36:34 AM
Great score, if for only curiosity sake  :D
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 02:11:22 AM
Pretty good price. Especially if it turns out to be mint. They're very pricey up here and I can't justify getting one as I know I won't wear it.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 02:39:30 AM
  It may have its limited purposes. It looks cool, have used the bits a few times. Sits on the hutch most of the time now that I wear a FitBit Charge HR. Can wear both together, but it really serves no purpose other than the cool factor.

Last used a bit to remove a square-headed screw when installing an air conditioner in the middle of the night.

You're get more use out of a PST or Wave than you would a Tread, IMHO. Seems to impress people when you wear it to interviews. :D Is about the only multi-tool one can carry in those circumstances where multitools are banned as lethal weapons.

Wore mine from Boise, ID airport to the one in Atlanta, GA and back - not one TSA issue. They thought it was a "bracelet." Seriously.

Would function okay as a watchband if the watch was all metal cased. Soon as some pressure is applied to the pins, they won't hold - unless you have a watch that threads on with screws.
  TreadLinks switched over to a new name recently, ChronoLinks. Unless they craft an all metal support bracket that attached to the Tread separately & can hold a resin cased watch their profits will be extremely limited. I sent them some design ideas but not once had they gotten back to me.
DSC06338_zpsrppwlbwr.jpg
* DSC06338_zpsrppwlbwr.jpg (Filesize: 111.98 KB)
Hollow Pin - The Weakest Link.jpg
* Hollow Pin - The Weakest Link.jpg (Filesize: 130.69 KB)
DSC06961.JPG
* DSC06961.JPG (Filesize: 122.21 KB)
DSC07056.JPG
* DSC07056.JPG (Filesize: 135.43 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 03:04:59 AM
 So unless you have a watch that fits like this, exterior screws, the TreadLinks won't be a secure with just pressure fitted pins.

If a decent designer could fashion a design like this (below) it would hold any resin based watch onto the Tread, without worry of stress on the watch case and pins, using a carriage-bridge adapter.

The bridge would securely fasten to the Tread, removing stress when using the wrist-band based tools.

The bridge would also have to suffice as a carriage, where the watch could be slid in from above and then held into place with pins.

Since the bridge portion of the adapter is attached to the Tread there would not be any flexing or pressure issues. Thusly the carriage potion of the same adapter would hold the watch adequately using normal watch pins.

Sadly ChronoLinks/TreadLinks uses only pins to attach. With the wrong flex or pressure point, a pin will slip or break - or at the worst break the resin mounting point rendering the watch worthless.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 03:06:36 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline zartoon

Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 10:48:39 PM
I have converted the tread to a watchband and have been wearing it for about 6 months everyday. I'm a big guy and have giant wrists. It is coupled with a large watch which fits really well. I have used it a number of times as a tool and it works just fine.
It is especially good for airline travel.

I have used it to open packages, open the hex nut lock on hotel Windows, tighten various screws and as a bottle opener.

Interestingly enough, the Leatherman flat bits almost fit perfectly in the sideways through holes on the tread.

It is mostly a stylish thing but I'm a mechanical engineer and it's kind of a professional piece o jewelery i guess. And sometimes useful. Definitely does not come close to a real multi tool but I don't think it was ever designed to do so.

Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 12:08:06 AM
I have converted the tread to a watchband and have been wearing it for about 6 months everyday. I'm a big guy and have giant wrists. It is coupled with a large watch which fits really well. I have used it a number of times as a tool and it works just fine.

I have used it to open packages, open the hex nut lock on hotel Windows, tighten various screws and as a bottle opener.

Interestingly enough, the Leatherman flat bits almost fit perfectly in the sideways through holes on the tread.

It is mostly a stylish thing but I'm a mechanical engineer and it's kind of a professional piece o jewelery i guess. And sometimes useful. Definitely does not come close to a real multi tool but I don't think it was ever designed to do so.

Pics please. :D :worthless:
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 12:56:36 AM

Pics please. :D :worthless:

Yeah what he said :pok:

us Offline zartoon

Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 05:24:52 PM
Here you go
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 86.56 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 05:34:30 PM
Here you go

That is a good pic thanks  :cheers:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 05:10:22 AM
Does anyone know the thread size of the screws holding the Tread links together?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%