Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Guy + SAK Pics + SAK Questions

us Offline puma1552

• New User
New Guy + SAK Pics + SAK Questions
on: January 19, 2016, 05:02:03 AM
Hi there,

After reading the entire 580 page latest SAK thread and most of the alox forever thread, I thought I'd register and say hello.  I've recently gotten into SAKs, and have begun collecting them.  I also have some questions on them.

But first, pics for clicks.  I know the 58mm isn't most peoples' favorite, but I quite like them.  Of my collection, my first SAK was my Champ, and then I focused on the 58 mm Classic SDs.  However for Christmas my wife got me that build your own Spartan kit and she got the SilverTech scales to go with it.  After I had that, I had to get the White Xmas Climber when I saw it, and then I had to get a wood handled Huntsman (was fortunate enough to get to pick my grain pattern from about 15 blister packs at REI), so I guess I like the 91 mm models quite a bit too now.  The latest in my collection is my first taste of alox, the silver and 2015 LE Classics which I just got this past weekend...I sense more alox in my future.  Here is a pic of my collection, note that I have a sterling silver Classic (it's a tad tarnished at the moment) as well as the retired taupe and forest green (lighter green one).  I also have both sage and rust brown retired models in the mail en route.  My EDC is my Minichamp...if only Victorinox would make a plus alox scale since the pen has gotten me out of a bind a million times.  I'm sure my next conquest will be alox Classic SDs (and maybe Minichamps), and debating if I can afford to even bother attempting to collect alox Farmers or if I should just forget about it. :P

After lurking for a while, I do have some questions though, regarding SAKs specifically:

1) Does Victorinox make a Waiter in black cellidor from the factory?  I know it can be modded, but I'm curious if it's available from the factory that way.

2) Where do people get all the alox colors?  I see that they come from China, South Africa, Denmark, Germany, etc., etc., but how are people actually procuring them?  I've seen a few of the +B models on eBay, and I've poked around EDCsource/felinevet and seen just a few, but it seems like people are able to get any alox Farmer/Pioneer/Cadet/Whatever from anywhere in any color pretty much anytime and I can't really seem to find any of these for sale anywhere?  Who has the golden key to this secret overseas supply? 

3) I see that +B tends to sometimes brand the main blade, sometimes not.  Any rhyme or reason to this?  Branded/unbranded more desirable?

4) Are +B and SMS dealers that mod the colors themselves, or do they have partnerships with Victorinox for Vic to produce limited numbers for them (e.g. are the models sold by these companies actual factory knives or aftermarket mods)?

5) I've seen a couple subtle jabs at +B on the forums, but haven't been able to find the source or reason.  Anything to be aware of?  Is it just the cost that puts people off?

Lots to learn, glad to be here, my wallet...not so much.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: New Guy + SAK Pics + SAK Questions
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 05:14:56 AM
Welcome!!!!!  It's late (for me) so I will defer to fresher minds to answer your questions!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 06:43:27 AM
First off welcome to the forum!

I am on my iPad now so answering all the questions would take forever. If you do not get the answers you are looking for by the time I get on my computer I will answer as many as I can for you.  :salute:

One thing real quick regarding colored alox. Check out cutleryshoppe.com. They might still have some colored alox available. If you are going to order anything let me know first and I will give you the free shipping promo code. You will need at least 5 posts to send me a private message.
I'm the milk man!

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 07:21:09 AM
Welcome mate
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 08:16:36 AM
Welcome.  :salute:

1. Not, to my knowledge.
2. What you said. Various places. Black and red are common now. The rest are special issues for major distributor, +B, SMS, CS etc.
3. Not sure. Doubtful it would increase value, unless it's a numbered copy.
4. Deals with Victorinox. The knives they sell are special-run factory-products. Never mods.
5. Many reasons... Overpricing stuff, pushing out competitors in his deals with Vic, boasting to be God-on-Earth of Swiss knives, pushing same runs again and again, poor customer support, refusal to sell to people if they think they would mod the knives and lots of other stuff. But then again they are the most reknowned Vic distributor, they did a lot of improvements (see scale clips) and helped promote Vic and Alox in US, always release interesting cool stuff and some people are very happy with their services so take the above with a grain of salt....
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 05:34:43 PM
Welcome   :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 05:51:17 PM
Welcome and good luck with the hobby and sourcing all the gorgeous colors of alox. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline puma1552

• New User
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 08:05:37 PM
Welcome.  :salute:

1. Not, to my knowledge.
2. What you said. Various places. Black and red are common now. The rest are special issues for major distributor, +B, SMS, CS etc.
3. Not sure. Doubtful it would increase value, unless it's a numbered copy.
4. Deals with Victorinox. The knives they sell are special-run factory-products. Never mods.
5. Many reasons... Overpricing stuff, pushing out competitors in his deals with Vic, boasting to be God-on-Earth of Swiss knives, pushing same runs again and again, poor customer support, refusal to sell to people if they think they would mod the knives and lots of other stuff. But then again they are the most reknowned Vic distributor, they did a lot of improvements (see scale clips) and helped promote Vic and Alox in US, always release interesting cool stuff and some people are very happy with their services so take the above with a grain of salt....

Pretty much answers all my questions, thanks for that.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 02:43:26 PM
Welcome aboard.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 07:23:08 PM
Welcome to MTO.   :cheers:

pl Offline stork

Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 12:16:19 PM
58mm are my favourite! I envy you the collection :)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 12:26:17 PM
Welcome aboard!
 :cheers:

Nice start, keep it up!
 :salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 12:38:57 PM
Hi, welcome from Aus.
Andrew

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 01:17:07 PM
Welcome to the forums.  :salute:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 23, 2016, 02:54:53 PM
Welcome
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 02:49:38 AM
What, you mean a Canadian can't be...well...Canadian?  :rofl:

Actually I just ran through a whole list and double posted one. My bad.  :tu:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 02:50:03 AM