Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Picked up a Suunto M3 Compass.

Aloha · 13 · 4435

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Picked up a Suunto M3 Compass.
on: January 21, 2016, 05:58:39 PM
Really liking the adjustable declination feature.  I don't want to be doing math when I'm out.  I think my next one will be the Global,  or at least one with a clinometer.  Time to find orienteering classes. 
IMG_0029 copy.jpg
* IMG_0029 copy.jpg (Filesize: 179.94 KB)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:00:27 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Picked up a Suunto M3 Compass.
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 10:24:22 PM
Nice one. :cheers:

I have a Suunto A10 and it has served me well so far.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 11:05:22 PM
Awesome! I don't have a nice compass yet.

I picked up a Suunto M9 but it is horrendously inaccurate. I would not rely on it in any situation. Extremely disappointed with such a brand name.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 12:33:21 AM
Awesome! I don't have a nice compass yet.

I picked up a Suunto M9 but it is horrendously inaccurate. I would not rely on it in any situation. Extremely disappointed with such a brand name.

Maybe you have steel running thought your veins and that's causing the interference. :think:

>:D

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 07:57:20 AM
Your M3 looks like a good compass. I've got 4 Suunto compass's MC-2D, MC-2G, MB-6 Global. M-9. They have served me well over the years. The MC-2G and MB-6 Global has both a global needle and clinometer. Those two are my favorite. I have the MB-6G handy most of the time.    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 10:13:26 PM
I've had an old Silva Compass for about 22 years now (see pic).

But last year I came across a Suunto MB-6 Global and I liked it so much I just had to buy it, since then I also bought myself a Silva Ranger S and a Recta DP2 (this last one is for my oldest son).  The Suunto MB-6 Global and the Recta DP2 are very small and easy to take with you, and the compass and the mirror are both well protected in a tough protection case.

Here's some technical info about them, taken from the site of Recta:

"The DP compasses are the original versions of the Swiss army compasses. A highly resistant Noryl case offers strong protection for the capsule. It also features a cm scale and provides a sighting line of 11 cm when opened. The underlying mirror allows very simple sighting with a accuracy of 1 degree. The needle is rotating on a sapphire bearing immersed in antistatic fluid. The DP compasses allow hand bearing as well as mirror sighting."

I also bought a book about navigation called "Ultimate navigation manual" by Lyle Brotherton and I find it to be a very interesting read.  Here's a youtube video (not my video) about the English version of the book, I own the Dutch version but it looks pretty much the same as the one in the video.  I'll try to take some pics of my "new" compasses one of these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZppsswMsqE

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 10:45:22 PM
Thanks TG  :tu:  I'll have a look out for that book.  I think the Global will be the next compass I get. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 06:06:55 PM
I believe this will be my last compass, Suunto MC-2.  I got all the features I wanted with this one.  Great thing is I paid $10 for it brand new. 
IMG_0293 copy.jpg
* IMG_0293 copy.jpg (Filesize: 161.12 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 06:36:36 PM
Nice compass and a bargin price!   :tu:   Hope you get a lot of good use out of it.    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 07:02:51 PM
Just to derail things...

How do you store your compasses to prevent them getting damaged by magnetic influences in the home?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 07:28:07 PM
I believe this will be my last compass, Suunto MC-2.  I got all the features I wanted with this one.  Great thing is I paid $10 for it brand new.

I have about the same one, but from Silva, not Suunto.  Mine is a Silva Ranger S, I don't have pictures of it (yet), but my youngest son used it today during our hike, I used my Suunto MB-6 Global today, I did take a pic of that one today  ;)

There's also a Wave in the pics, it's almost March Wave challenge time, and I've been carrying my Wave for the last couple of days to prepare myself a bit  :D.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 07:35:38 PM
Just to derail things...

How do you store your compasses to prevent them getting damaged by magnetic influences in the home?

We have a "hobby table for me/play table for the kids" in a corner of the living room, and that's where I keep my compasses, it's far away from all electrical equipement, and other things with magnetic influence.  I checked it with all of my compasses, and they always point north on that table, so they're save  ;).  I keep them in their original packaging, and with about 20 or 30 cm between them, so they don't "hurt" each other ...  ::)

My wife isn't really happy about this situation by the way ...  :whistle:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 07:39:23 PM
Just to derail things...

I use the container for cold cuts.  Here we get cold cut meats in plastic container so I use them for storing them I also add in those silica packs to absorb moisture.  I carry them in leather when out in the field.  I still need to sort out my newest compass with paper for notes and a pen/pencil. 
IMG_0321 copy.jpg
* IMG_0321 copy.jpg (Filesize: 219.08 KB)
IMG_0322 copy.jpg
* IMG_0322 copy.jpg (Filesize: 189.67 KB)
IMG_0324 copy.jpg
* IMG_0324 copy.jpg (Filesize: 138.65 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD