Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge with 3D Phillips mod question

us Offline jlwatso1

Surge with 3D Phillips mod question
on: January 23, 2016, 04:31:27 AM
Could someone let me know if it is necessary to have a blunt nose Surge for the 3D Phillips mod.

au Offline Theo

Re: Surge with 3D Phillips mod question
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:03:30 AM
Nope, it works with the stock needlenose.
IMG_4504small.jpg
* IMG_4504small.jpg (Filesize: 116.51 KB)

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 03:04:00 PM
Nope, it works with the stock needlenose.

Awesome! Thanks! Now I just have to get my hands on one. I didn't really want to buy a ST 300. Did you use any other tools from it. I don't need the can opener or awl on the surge, but I want to to keep the bit driver. I know the other style of it driver fits over the Phillips, but I'm thinking it would take longer to deploy. I put a blunt nose plier head on my surge from another one I had, but after carrying my Powerlock and using the needle nose to woller out some copper, I think I will put the original head back on.

P.S. Your pivots came in.

au Offline Theo

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 03:34:05 AM
I don't use bits but if I did, I thought the Victorinox bit kit with the choice of ratchet or L shaped bit driver was a more effective solution than the bit driver on board the Multi itself.

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 05:43:25 AM
I don't use bits but if I did, I thought the Victorinox bit kit with the choice of ratchet or L shaped bit driver was a more effective solution than the bit driver on board the Multi itself.

Yah, most of the time I just use my little ratchet and Leatherman bit extender. I guess I just like having the option. I like how you have your surge set up though. I hate these security bolts though. Think I put too much locktight on them when putting them back together. The bits keep breaking. I used a heat gun but I guess it could also be cheep bits.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:52:27 AM by jlwatso1 »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 01:02:35 PM
Did you get it done? Any pics? I like having both the bit driver and the 3d phillips.

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 01:58:07 PM
Did you get it done? Any pics? I like having both the bit driver and the 3d phillips.

No...I have to get a ST 300 first to get the Philips and and may have to order that tool to dismantle the Supertool. And then I have to see if I can even get the security bolt out of my Surge. May have to get some more security bits as well.

Right now I need to focus on my "Power Surge PT-540"- I have the Powerlock I have been carrying this month and am fabbing a Surge skin for the outside to have the outside locking blades. (I only have enough to do one side as the Surge skin was from a previous mod my Surge with external ratchet and bit driver.) Then I plan to fit the PT-540 head into the Powerlock frame with a bit of re-profiling. I just am not entirely happy with the tool lock I fabricated or else I would consider the PT-540 frame. I will try to snap some pictures later today if possible.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 02:07:15 PM
Sounds interesting.   :tu:

au Offline Theo

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 12:10:47 PM
Sounds very interesting indeed.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 02:05:43 PM

No...I have to get a ST 300 first to get the Philips and and may have to order that tool to dismantle the Supertool. And then I have to see if I can even get the security bolt out of my Surge. May have to get some more security bits as well.

Right now I need to focus on my "Power Surge PT-540"- I have the Powerlock I have been carrying this month and am fabbing a Surge skin for the outside to have the outside locking blades. (I only have enough to do one side as the Surge skin was from a previous mod my Surge with external ratchet and bit driver.) Then I plan to fit the PT-540 head into the Powerlock frame with a bit of re-profiling. I just am not entirely happy with the tool lock I fabricated or else I would consider the PT-540 frame. I will try to snap some pictures later today if possible.

I would switch to a soldering iron, wood burner or lighter to heat the stuck bolt. I have had great success with a Bic Lighter. The heat is more focussed then the heat gun.

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 02:50:29 PM

I would switch to a soldering iron, wood burner or lighter to heat the stuck bolt. I have had great success with a Bic Lighter. The heat is more focussed then the heat gun.

Ok I may have to try that! Thanks :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD