Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's talk about sporks, baby

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Let's talk about sporks, baby
on: January 23, 2016, 06:23:18 PM
Well, inspired by Rishardh's merit badge quest on the subject, I rounded up my scattered fleet of mealtime half-breeds. I also recently added the Sea To Summit Ti folding spork and mini-LMF spork after discovering a new outdoor sporting goods store in Great Falls :tu: I usually keep an Eat'n Tool and the regular LMF sporks with me when I post out to work, so I don't have to rely on the community silverware or flatware. I just keep them in my pack, rinse after each use, and hard-wash after a couple days use.

Well, here is the whole spread. Left to right: CRKT Eat'n Tool, Sea To Summit Ti folding spork, Vargo Ti spork, GSI telescoping spork, Sea To Summit spork + knife, Light My Fire regular spork, and Light My Fire mini spork

More to come....
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Re: Let's talk about sporks, baby
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 06:41:02 PM
The regular sized Light My Fire is my original non-disposable spork. My Wife and I got a couple of these way back in the mid-00's when we were living in Alaska and doing a lot of hiking. I don't love this design. The spoon is a little large and of course the serrations on the side of the fork are a little awkward feeling in use. And the fact that both ends feature a utensil makes a comfortable grip impossible. But it works :tu:

"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 06:47:17 PM
CRKT Eat'n Tool got added last summer. I like the solid feel of this one - very beefy. I don't really like the short prongs. This one is more of a spoon first, fork later. But they can't be longer because of how shallow the spoon is. So overall, I think the design could be improved but it cost $7, and I've seen them as low as $4 in other stores since then. I am kicking myself for not getting one of the MTO 1,000,000 post Eat'n Tools, though :(

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:31:29 PM by rdub934 »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 06:52:35 PM
Sea To Summit Spork + Knife thing is up next. I like this design, I just wish it was available in a smaller size. The bowl is massive on this thing. It does great with soup, though. And the "knife" works well. It's plastic, but it feels solid, and it has a nice finish to it.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 06:56:23 PM
I found the GSI telescoping spork a couple months ago, I think it was $3 or so. It feels a little cheapish until you get it locked in the extended position, and then it feels pretty solid for how light it is. Good bowl/prong design on this guy. Deep bowl, good length on the prongs, which are pretty sharp.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 07:01:26 PM
I got the Vargo Ti spork pretty recently. It was hanging at the very back behind about a dozen cheap plastic spoons. I was like "score!" Lol I like this one a lot. Super light weight. Good bowl/tine ratio. The bowl being polished is a nice touch. I think this is the first Ti anything I have owned, so that had me pretty excited. They even incorporated a bottle opener with carabiner clip on the end of the handle :tu: The bottle opener works well, but in doing so it sort of bent the gate on the carabiner.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 07:08:07 PM
My Son actually found a 3 pack of these mini-Light My Fire sporks while we were exploring a newly discovered outdoor sporting goods store in town. He came running up asking if I would get them for him, lol. I think he knew the answer to that question before asking. But it piqued my interest because, you know, where there's one there's probably more. I actually really like these, though, so I think a set of these for myself is in order. The smaller size is a welcome change from the masses - it seems most sporks are huge-mongous. The deletion of the serrations is also a nice touch :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 07:14:34 PM
Finally (for now) the Sea To Summit Ti folding spork. This is what I found after my Son led me back to where he found his 3-pack of LMF mini-sporks. I like this one pretty well. It is titanium, so that's awesome. Really compact when you get it all folded up. Good bowl and prong design, even if it is a little on the large side. The finish on this one is a little bit of a mark-down, though. The texture is a little bit too much traction for some foods. But I am honestly just nit-picking, because it's not a big deal at all. I would just preferred a polished bowl. I have read some reviews on this one where people have complained about it folding up during use. But as long as the lock-bar thing is all the way forward I don;t see how this would ever happen. Mine locks in solidly :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 07:41:19 PM
This concludes my tour of sporks for now. I buy a spork pretty much anytime I see a different one since they are  usually cheap. So I am sure I will be adding to this thread from now on as I acquire new stuff. I have my sights on several more sporks I have seen online, including a P-51 looking can-opener that is a spork on the end and a different spin on an Eat'n Tool by UST that features a different cap-lifter design and a can-opener. Also, CRKT's new Iota looks too cute to resist.

I hope you enjoyed it :salute:

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 07:48:02 PM
Nice assortment of sporks rdub934.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 09:22:25 PM
I have three of the combo spoons and while they aren't perfect, they do serve a purpose and do a good job.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 11:17:45 PM

Just seeing this thread. Wow, that's a very good collection  :drool:  Those pics got me hungry too. Very nice write up on all of them. If you can get to a bicycle shop you might find this. Park Tool makes very good bicycle tools and this is their spork. Stainless Steel with vinyl grips.

Spork15.JPG
* Spork15.JPG (Filesize: 113.3 KB)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 04:07:46 AM

Just seeing this thread. Wow, that's a very good collection  :drool:  Those pics got me hungry too. Very nice write up on all of them. If you can get to a bicycle shop you might find this. Park Tool makes very good bicycle tools and this is their spork. Stainless Steel with vinyl grips.

Thanks! I saw that one online - it looks awesome! I love the looks of some of Parks bicycling multitools - that i-beam layout is so unique that it really calls out to me. Nice score on that SPK-1! How much did you have to throw down for it? I actually have started checking at the sporting goods stores in town and bikes shops for it with no luck. Yet.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 05:24:19 AM
Got some in this week.

Sporks.JPG
* Sporks.JPG (Filesize: 88.13 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 06:21:55 AM
Got some in this week.

Very nice! I may have to try and find one of those dark green LMFs - my Wife's favorite color, you see.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 07:20:35 AM
Got some in this week.

Very nice! I may have to try and find one of those dark green LMFs - my Wife's favorite color, you see.

:salute:   http://www.countycomm.com/spork.html
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 02:48:54 PM

Thanks! I saw that one online - it looks awesome! I love the looks of some of Parks bicycling multitools - that i-beam layout is so unique that it really calls out to me. Nice score on that SPK-1! How much did you have to throw down for it? I actually have started checking at the sporting goods stores in town and bikes shops for it with no luck. Yet.

I paid $10 for the SPK-1. Bicycle shops will order stuff for you if you give them the model# but you got to pay full retail. I tend to do that because I ride with the owner and guys who work there so I don't mind paying retail unless I can save a lot buying online.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 12:35:44 AM
I've 3 of the full sized Light my Fire sporks and have owned them for years.  They really are decent, but not nearly as cool as the CRKT!

Well, inspired by Rishardh's merit badge quest on the subject, I rounded up my scattered fleet of mealtime half-breeds. I also recently added the Sea To Summit Ti folding spork and mini-LMF spork after discovering a new outdoor sporting goods store in Great Falls :tu: I usually keep an Eat'n Tool and the regular LMF sporks with me when I post out to work, so I don't have to rely on the community silverware or flatware. I just keep them in my pack, rinse after each use, and hard-wash after a couple days use.

Well, here is the whole spread. Left to right: CRKT Eat'n Tool, Sea To Summit Ti folding spork, Vargo Ti spork, GSI telescoping spork, Sea To Summit spork + knife, Light My Fire regular spork, and Light My Fire mini spork

More to come....
Barry

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 02:08:18 AM
Badge awarded, great thread mate.   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 02:24:37 AM
Badge awarded, great thread mate.   :tu:   :tu:

Woooooooo! Thanks, Z!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 04:44:44 PM
Hello again! I got one of these Kershaw carabiner sporks a couple weeks ago to add to the collection. I finally found one by itself, without the K tool and the little knife. Anyways, I've tried it out on macNcheese and cereal - it works. A little awkward. In fork mode, you end up with a little of the carabiner in your gob.

The cap lifter doesn't work very well, however. The hook is too rounded so it was difficult getting purchase. I eventually was able to open my beverage with it, though.

gb Offline Biker_Bob

Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 04:57:02 PM
I saw a Leatherman Flair for sale the other day.
That little fork got me thinking - it'd be perfect for pitted olives!
I might have a go a making a fork to go in one of the PSTIIs.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 07:44:39 PM
Great thread :cheers: I have always liked a good spork :tu: Even the plastic ones that I remember getting as a kid at KFC :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 03:33:21 AM
Hello again! I got one of these Kershaw carabiner sporks a couple weeks ago to add to the collection. I finally found one by itself, without the K tool and the little knife. Anyways, I've tried it out on macNcheese and cereal - it works. A little awkward. In fork mode, you end up with a little of the carabiner in your gob.

The cap lifter doesn't work very well, however. The hook is too rounded so it was difficult getting purchase. I eventually was able to open my beverage with it, though.

Interesting observations.  I was wondering if the whole thing was a bit too compact, and it sounds like it is.

How is the spoon on it?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 04:38:20 AM

Interesting observations.  I was wondering if the whole thing was a bit too compact, and it sounds like it is.

How is the spoon on it?

Def

Spoon is good :tu: it has a little more depth to it than the Eat'n Tool. If the whole implement could be at least 1/2" longer and that we're applied to the fork between the 'biner and the base of the prongs, it would be much better. The tips of the prongs and the hook on the cap-lifter need to be sharper, too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:39:47 AM by rdub934 »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 06:22:39 AM
I have a few diff setups, I'll see if I can find a pic, but the one I like is the light my fire, I like having both the fork and spoon rather then both on one end..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 08:33:33 AM
I have a few diff setups, I'll see if I can find a pic, but the one I like is the light my fire, I like having both the fork and spoon rather then both on one end..
JR
+1 I prefer separate spoon and fork

Snowpeak: the fork part is way to blunt
Light my Fire: This one is great, love the small cutting part on the fork side.
Iota: Well, this one at least is tiny :D
spork.jpg
* spork.jpg (Filesize: 132.25 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #27 on: May 25, 2016, 09:16:55 PM
Found a pic of my utensils,
The first, was my grandfathers, it's a hollow handle knife that both the for and spoon slide into..
The second, is well a titanium setup,
The third, well duh,
The forth, is a neat little edc, it folds in the middle so the fork sits in the spoon, this one I like!
and lastly this is a very unique setup, the fork and knife are pretty much normal size just a little narrow, and the spoon is mini, it fits in between the knife and fork, and then they snap into the case, which also has a mini salt and pepper shaker..
JR
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 264.95 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 02:45:11 AM
Soto Spork with Asian style bowl. Not really that great for general eating...more like a Ramen eating spork with the tines keeping the noodles from slipping off.
soto_spork01.jpg
* soto_spork01.jpg (Filesize: 43.91 KB)

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 02:47:37 AM
P-38 mounted on a GSI spork
p38_spork001.jpg
* p38_spork001.jpg (Filesize: 47.34 KB)
p38_spork002.jpg
* p38_spork002.jpg (Filesize: 39.19 KB)