Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hoverboards?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Hoverboards?
on: January 25, 2016, 03:12:16 PM
Anyone here ride hoverboards? 

Sadly not like that, but more like this:

I hear they are getting very popular in certain parts of the world, but I don't recall ever seeing one around here.  I imagine they probably wouldn't be that good in winter, but since I'm on my arse right now anyway, I doubt weather is a big concern.  :P

Anyways, just things I get curious about when I am sitting around doing very little, waiting for my foot to heal.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Hoverboards?
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 03:15:47 PM
Yes I've seen many young kids on them. They look neat going down the road but there has been some issues with them.  I guess some have caught on fire.  Seems the battery was the issue which resulted in fire and boom. 

I haven't tried one but then do look fun. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 03:31:01 PM
Bursting into flames huh?  That used to be something people did as a joke.  It was called a Hotfoot and I learned it from a very dangerous show called The Flintstones...  :facepalm:

Still, seems like it could make for an interesting afternoon....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 03:36:14 PM
Skip to about 1:55

Esse Quam Videri

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 04:03:04 PM
I've actually seen one used and we have snow around here, not much right now and roads are cleared and have had gravel strewn on them. But I guess that's true for most places that gets snow.

My biggest concern is that I kinda hate them for so blatantly advertising themselves as that first picture while actually being a segway without handles.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 05:20:55 PM
They caught on pretty quick here,but even Amazon issued a recall on them!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 06:40:44 PM
They have gone down in price a lot but there have been some fires and accidents.

I have not seen any around here but I am sure once some problems are sorted out they will be very popular.

They also get hate from segway people who paid a few thousands to feel special and now everybody can do the same for a couple of hundreds.

Power to the common people!!!!!!!!
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 07:44:52 PM
That are very popular here in pcola, but UWF and most major universities have banned them.

Too many issues with fire hazards as they are known to catch fire or explode. Literally.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 08:34:21 PM
I saw kids riding those things before I know what the heck they were.  Not many but a few in my neighborhood.

I still bust out my skateboard from the 80s and ride that sometimes, it still works and I keep looks from the kids who never saw a proper 80s ride.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 08:46:46 PM
Those and the single wherl Airwheels where pretty popular with the junior high kids around here before tge snow came.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 09:40:48 PM
Skip to about 1:55

That was quite a fireball!

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 09:57:41 PM
Those and the single wherl Airwheels where pretty popular with the junior high kids around here before tge snow came.

I have to admit that I had to look up what an Airwheel was.  They're either not a thing here yet, or I'm getting old and out of touch. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 11:35:50 PM
You too huh?

Def

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 11:42:14 PM

I have to admit that I had to look up what an Airwheel was.  They're either not a thing here yet, or I'm getting old and out of touch. :D

I knew the concept as an electric unicycle, but not the name. One of the reasons they might be slow on the uptake here, is that just like segways, they're not road legal, but legal to use on pavements either  :P so you can probably use them in parks, and that's it (and private land of course)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 12:07:40 AM
Our friends one kid got one of those for Xmas, needless to say all the other kids had to try it out, so everyone was spinning around the kitchen and coasting up and down the hallway,, and since we were over of course our kids had to try it, and yes they got me to get on it, I made it about 2min before having to get off, our friend on the other hand ha, he stepped one foot on then almost landed on his head, made the night much better, lol.. :rofl:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 12:25:45 AM
They were the popular high-end gift just last Christmas -- it retails from USD300-400 in these parts.  Until news came out that, being the China product as they all are, have a tendency to burst into flames due to the battery.  Heck, if an iPhone or high-end Samsung phone with all their supposed QC have a handful of rumors of bursting into flames while charging, then why not unregulated hoverboards whose manufacturer you can't even ID.

They're a neat concept though.  Was watching a yahoo video yesterday of someone on a hoverboard with a shovel plowing through the snow on their deck.  It made short work of the snow.  People were writing in the comments that they didn't think it had that much torque or could push through snow (must be newly fallen snow?).

Down here, I prefer the kids on their scooters - the ones you kick with one foot while the other is on the ride while both hands are on the steering handle - as it'll give them the exercise they need to break a sweat.  Knew a dad who broke an arm trying out the hoverboard they bought for their daughter.  He caught his fall with his arm. 

Who knows? Maybe somewhere down the road, Apple or Google might pick up on the concept and refine it much more :P

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 09:27:47 AM
Are we really that lazy? What is wrong with walking? I'm starting to feel more and more like Wall-E :D

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 09:31:32 AM
Are we really that lazy? What is wrong with walking? I'm starting to feel more and more like Wall-E :D

(Image removed from quote.)

Grant tried walking and look what happened to him   :pok:   

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh   :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 09:38:01 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Grant tried walking and look what happened to him   :pok:   

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh   :D

I had problems with several joints... the only thing that makes it better is exercise (not excessive but well controlled exercise).

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 09:40:34 AM
Hang on, Wall-E didn't walk anywhere either. :D 

I do take your point though, we do seem to be simultaneously telling people they need to keep fit and also inventing ways to not have to put any effort into getting places. :shrug:

I used to work in a large gym and it always made me laugh that people would fight to park as near the doors as possible so as they didn't have to walk and extra 20m in order to go exercising. :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 09:43:56 AM
Hang on, Wall-E didn't walk anywhere either. :D 

I do take your point though, we do seem to be simultaneously telling people they need to keep fit and also inventing ways to not have to put any effort into getting places. :shrug:

I used to work in a large gym and it always made me laugh that people would fight to park as near the doors as possible so as they didn't have to walk and extra 20m in order to go exercising. :D
:D

As for Wall-E, he has his toes arranged in a circular fashion... so yes, he is not walking, he is tip-toeing :D

de Offline matzesu

Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 10:14:42 AM
First i wonder a lot when i saw the picture and the title "Hoverboard" i tought about something which sweept 10 cm about the ground and dosnt work over water like the hoverboard from marty mcfly..
But its only these batterypowered elektro boards..
I wants a real hoverboard but first i have to learn how to drive a normal board..

But until then im pretty good on feed, im mybe the only one wo went the 1 km to gymn per feed (troug an dark wood)...

Im more interest in a Elektrobycicle..
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent).. Swisschamp (Blue Transparent) Cybertool L (Blue Celidor (custom scales) , Huntsman (Black Celidor) , Victorinox EvoGrip S557 (Red, but sadly lost in my house somewhere) Victorinox Delemont S17 and S57 ..  , waiting for: Swiza D09 Blue

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 01:14:11 PM
I thought the same thing when people started saying hover boards were available and becoming common.  I was also very disappointed to see what they really were.

I'm not sure how useful one of these types of hover boards would be, but it could be interesting to try out.

I like the convenience of it.  You can simply pick it up, toss it in a bag and throw it over your shoulder and go wherever you want to go, versus a bicycle that has to be locked up and you have to go back to.

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 02:14:35 PM
Just make sure that bag is big enough to hold this as well:

>:D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 02:21:07 PM
I thought the same thing when people started saying hover boards were available and becoming common.  I was also very disappointed to see what they really were.

I'm not sure how useful one of these types of hover boards would be, but it could be interesting to try out.

I like the convenience of it.  You can simply pick it up, toss it in a bag and throw it over your shoulder and go wherever you want to go, versus a bicycle that has to be locked up and you have to go back to.

Def
Why not something non-electrical like a micro-scooter? Less hassle, larger cruising range, not prone to explosion, faster, cheaper and lighter when you want to carry it :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 02:26:20 PM
Well, my wife's in a motorized wheelchair I could always do what they did here, lol would that be considered a board or a deck?

I mean heck since we don't drive one of those hoverboards would be kinda interesting, just follow behind or besides the wife down the sidewalk, then get to the store and hook it to the back of her chair..

Someone did send me a toy, I guess you can call it a board since it is wood, and I did use it once, just with my medical, err, hey maybe with that lawnmower put a car seat with a seatbelt hmm :think:
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 07:24:43 PM
A hoverboard took out Mike Tyson, I'm not sure how I'd fare

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 08:00:44 PM
He was trying to bite it...

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 08:56:01 PM
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 09:52:01 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%