Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Duty light for Security work

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Duty light for Security work
on: January 27, 2016, 12:51:55 PM
I recently transferred back into a Security type position at my company, and my aging ITP SA2 Eluma is starting to worry me, so I'm looking for a replacement.  I'm wanting to pick up a light that will throw a strong beam for quite a ways, like as far as my 3D Maglite LED but with a stronger beam.  I need something that's good for outdoors.  I would prefer a 2AA configuration as that's the most accessible power supply for me.  I'm trying to keep my cost as low as possible, so I won't be opting for any Surefires.  Anyone got any ideas?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Duty light for Security work
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 01:04:22 PM
I think Maglite may have some AA lights with high enough power

Jetbeam, Nitecore, Fenix also have 2AA lights that should be powerful enough and not too expensive.

How about a Fenix LD41, with 4AA batteries? The new ones are more powerfull, but the older ones will be cheaper

You can also buy something like an olight baton that will have its own in-built rechargeable battery and a charger, so that you will not have to worry about LiIon chargers
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 01:07:42 PM
...just get one of those: 

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 01:18:52 PM
The first thing that crossed my mind was: Fenix E25 , but her'es a link to Fenix' store with only AAs filtered: http://www.fenix-store.com/aa/

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 01:24:02 PM
I'm liking the Fenix LD09, and it's pretty affordable too. 

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 01:32:37 PM
Yeah, I haven't bought it yet because I have the LD12, which has been my most used light. It's been with me for about almost 2.5 years and has been a great light.

It's very similar to the LD09, but the latter should be better because it's even more compact, takes all sorts of batteries and it miiiiiiight be supposed to tail-stand, but I'm not sure about the last.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 01:38:28 PM
What do you think of the Thorfire C8?  It's an attractive light for how bright it is at that price point.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 01:41:49 PM
Nevermind, I don't like the battery setup of the thorfire.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 01:45:47 PM
The LD09 is good.  I've got an older version (2014, 130 lumens) and it's stood up well to being in my pocket most of the last 15 months or so.  Plenty bright enough for me - it'll easily illuminate the bottom of my garden from the house (about 80 feet).  It's good enough that I use it as a back up light for riding my bike.  The newer one looks like it'll be the same if you run it from an AA but brighter if you use a 14500 cell.  Mine does tail-stand, but on the switch so it's a bit unstable.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 01:51:34 PM
What do you think of the Thorfire C8?  It's an attractive light for how bright it is at that price point.

I hadn't heard of "Thorfire".. but I've heard that all the -fire ending ones aren't the best choice in terms of reliability  :think: I've never had any of them myself, though (Surefire, Trustfire, Ultrafire... & other -fires)

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 01:59:15 PM
I also always try to get people to buy a Thrunite T10s :D :D I've never had one, I've always liked them, but somehow never got down to buying one.

:D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 02:03:11 PM
I have heard the same about the xxxxfire branded lights. 

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 02:05:16 PM
Some by Nitecore, too:

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/ea21

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/mt20a

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/mt21a

I have no opinion on these, but was just looking for 2 x AA on their site.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 02:22:37 PM
Yeah, I haven't bought it yet because I have the LD12, which has been my most used light. It's been with me for about almost 2.5 years and has been a great light.

It's very similar to the LD09, but the latter should be better because it's even more compact, takes all sorts of batteries and it miiiiiiight be supposed to tail-stand, but I'm not sure about the last.

I like my LD12 as a back-up light to the LD09. They're different beasts, the LD12 is a complete all-purpose flashlight but the side switch makes it a little less convenient for frequent use. The LD09 on the other hand is a great pocket light, especially on Ni-MH cells for augmented runtimes of high output.

I don't like the LD09's 2015 edition, I much prefer the LD11 over it.

@Mercury, I have a E20 (2015 edition) and it's a good all-rounder IMO and it doesn't break the bank.You could also have a look at LD22, either 215 lumens version -I have one and I swear by it- or the 2015 upgrade that I haven't tried but looks promising -although I'm a little dubious about the 30 lumens setting.

I have heard the same about the xxxxfire branded lights. 

There are also Trustfire knock-offs around  :o
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 02:48:27 PM
I'd have a look at the Thrunite Archer 2A.  I don't have this particular light, but I'm happy with my other Thrunite lights.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 02:52:20 PM
Oh yes, I forgot the Thrunite Archer. I was hesitating if to get THIS or the LD12 before.

@firiki,

Yeah, indeed, the LD12's side button is a bit annoying. So the LD09 is operated with the back/clicky button only?

gr Offline firiki

Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 03:03:52 PM

@firiki,

Yeah, indeed, the LD12's side button is a bit annoying. So the LD09 is operated with the back/clicky button only?

Yes, the sequence is Med-Lo-Hi, with momentary on and the tail switch will probably make your thumb feel a little sore until you get used to it. As hiraethus said, the LD09 can also tail-stand -by balancing on the flat switch.

I love this light, very pocket friendly for a AA size light (for those of you who prefer AAA lights  :whistle: ), with useful output settings and runtimes.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 03:17:27 PM
:D :D :D

I like so many AAs, but when I try to be rational, it turns out I only carry AAA lights for long times. The AAs are biggish ..

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 03:17:42 PM
I love this light, very pocket friendly for a AA size light (for those of you who prefer AAA lights  :whistle: ), with useful output settings and runtimes.

Got to agree with you. :tu:  Sometimes I wish the LD09 was a little smaller - then I go back to a AAA light (Tank 007 PA01 or Fenix E05) for a few days and miss the multiple modes, good UI, brightness and good run times.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 03:37:55 PM

Got to agree with you. :tu:  Sometimes I wish the LD09 was a little smaller - then I go back to a AAA light (Tank 007 PA01 or Fenix E05) for a few days and miss the multiple modes, good UI, brightness and good run times.

Now, now, I think YOU need to buy a new AAA, all nice and small and with multiple modes.... :whistle:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 03:38:50 PM
 :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 04:50:42 PM

You need to get a Eagletac D25A Clicky.  Mind you, I think EVERYBODY should buy a D25A Clicky. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 05:08:26 PM
I can vouch for the MT2A from Nitecore, I got mine cheap and its taken over as my primary AA light.
Momentary switch on single mode Turbo setting puts control in your hands for security type scenarios

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/mt2a

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 05:45:51 PM
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 06:09:11 PM
I have 2 Thrunite T10s however I wouldn't call them throwers.  The lumens got a bump to 208 from 169 and mine have been very reliable.   I had a quick look on amzon and it seems you can get the Aluminum or Ti for relatively the same price.   

I really like the specs on the Fenix E20 with 50+ more lumen and about 4 times the throw of the T10 for similar price. 
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline firiki

Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 09:43:09 PM

Now, now, I think YOU need to buy a new AAA, all nice and small and with multiple modes.... :whistle:

I'm confident it's going to take some exceptional AAA powered light to dislodge the E01 from my EDC :)

Edit: Don't the Tank 007 and the Fenix E05 have multiple modes?? :think: I've considered both these lights and I prefer my EDC combo of E01 + LD09 after all.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:47:20 PM by firiki »

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 09:50:40 PM
the old version e05 had just one mode, the new ones have more, yeah. I don't know about the Tanks.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 09:58:33 PM
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. As for Tank 007, I must be thinking of their E09 model but I'm not sure which one hiraethus speaks of.

Now, consider getting a LD09 :pok: No, really. :D

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 10:04:36 PM
BUT I AM! ! ! :ahhh :ahhh

but not soon, or I'll go on metal
diet :facepalm:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 10:47:11 PM
Sorry, I was conflating the bad things about the two AAA lights I own - the Tank007 PA01 is multi mode but has a flaky UI and the E05 is the older single mode version. Neither is bright enough and both of them are too small. The LD09 isn't much bigger but it does have a great set of modes, long run times, good brightness, is easy to use and fits my hand nicely. Great little light, you should get one. :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%