Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Daark's EDC

Daark · 11 · 2532

at Offline Daark

Daark's EDC
on: February 01, 2016, 12:45:05 PM
I am wearing a knife/tool plus flashlight since i was a boy almost everyday (exceptions are just when going abroad, especially by plane).

Up until a certain time the combination was either a Multitool or 111mm in a Ripoffs CO-7 plus a Mini Maglite. Then this got stolen (with my od Vic Tradesman and the Maglite) some years ago. While I was able to replace the missing Vic (the Maglite not being too much of an issue) and although I miss the CO-7 (it is not easy to get here, at least I found it back in the day just in this one shop) I was since the loss of this "EDC Combo" on the lookout of the prefect tool/storage for the things I have and want to carry with me.

While I got the tools I want and need I am still working on the means of transportation, especially in different seasons/outfit situations.

Here is what I currently use in the two different ways I carry it, depending if I got a bag or pack with me or if i mount everything on the belt.

Today's basics: wallet, keys and cellphone (usually I have a second one on me at work, but this doesn't make any difference now).

...and my Swisstool (after several tools, including some knock offs, a PST II and a Wave I can say the Swisstool is the best for me)

The rest is stored either in a Maxpedition M2 on my belt (which also holds the cell(s)) for when I do not have any bag or pack with me

...or in a Maxpedition pocket organizer clone (I think Maxpedition is overpriced for what it is) which goes into my bag or pack.

I am sure you know how a filled pocket organizer looks but for the sake of it:

The contents are almost identical with just minor diffferences. Including another pen, as the Parker I use is too thin for the maxpedition wistpack and I am afraid to lose it, so I just use a thicker one (which also happens to have a USB stick inside)

Waistpack:

Pocket Organizer:

The only thing I barely, if ever, use is the prybar. In all those years, I have had a use for such a thing maybe just 2-3 times - but before I ever use the blade or screwdriver of my SAK/tool for this I rather carry the rest of my lilfe this little gadget with me to be on the safe side.

As I own different SAKs, it is not always my trusted spartan that sits in my bag. As said in my introduction, I am not a collector but I like to have a solid range of items to shose from, be it a Vic 91mm, a Vic 111 mm or a "ex" Wenger  130mm.

Also, because I am such a nut, I sometimes chose to add a Spyderco clone (which has recently replaced another low budget folder or a Vic Minichamp. To make it clear, with what I carry in my packs/pockets I would not need those additions but I like them so I add them. Also I like the speed such a blade comes to hand for the small tasks you are confronted with every day.

What I am currently working on is a belt and "bag" free carrying method. (In this case, I mean messenger-bag or backpack free).
This will be either a hip bag version or a molle rigger belt with a certain selection of pouches, possibly some custom ones on it. I like to imagine it as an "EDC belt" for summer time, when I like to wear those shorts which will just not take a belt ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:48:37 PM by Daark »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Daark's EDC
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:14:35 PM
Nice setup, too much for me to carry all on a belt, I use just a small sling Molle bag, or as my wife would say a murse, and as my kids would say Indiana, cause come summer I got the boonie hat and long sleeve shirt kinda looking like Indiana jones,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

at Offline Daark

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 02:32:01 PM
I like Indiana ;)

For me it developed somehow. Initially I was just carrying a MT and/or a Pocketknife plus a flashlight. After quite a quest for the right sheath one led to another and finally, when I ended up with the M2 waistpack (which I initially didn't want because it is too bulky and still look for an adequate replacement) I had to put something in it after all. This way I added the paper, pen and had some more space to put the inspection mirror from my work place's desk into the pouch.

I am not satisfied with the current belt setup, as I would prefer smaller pouches that are placed around the waist instead of one or two bulky ones but found no (for me) suitable solution so far. Maybe I have to come up with a design myself, we'll see. Maybe I can come closer to my "EDC belt" somewhen ;). For this I would get rid of some items if necessary maybe but except for the second bit kit most of the additional items do not require much space or add a lot of weight but fill it up and add stability a bit. The final goal is, however, getting the load as evenly distributed as possible on a belt with rather small pouches.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 02:51:50 PM
Before I joined here I only carried a simple Multitool, then came the flashlight, then little by little something else got added, that's the only downfall about this forum, hide your wallet! But yeah you can get a all in one sheath/waist pack/pouch made, there is someone on here that does make them, I think he delivers downunder :think: I'll get his page..
JR

Something like these?
http://skinthsolutions.com
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:01:13 PM by MadPlumbarian »
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

at Offline Daark

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 03:08:58 PM
Why downunder? I am from Austria :P

I had a look at the Skinth sheaths and, although I really like them, they do not seem to be exactly what I need/want.
What I have in mind is more something like a "EDC duty belt" with small pouches dispersed over the length of the belt. I do not hate anything more when everything is hanging onto one side and you have to dig/push your way through things in your belt pouch. I like neat little solutions where everything has "it's" spot.

This is why I came up with the plan to use a rigger belt with different pouches. I also thought of putting them then in our portfolio, when I succeed to design a solution that I deem worthy and useful. But as of yet, the muse has not touched me.

Before I joined here I only carried a simple Multitool...

I used every single item in my setup way more often than I actually used my Multitool itself. Especially the Bits (well, the one set at least) I use several times a day at work. Even the inspection mirror saw more action lately than the Swisstool.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:13:45 PM by Daark »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 03:19:51 PM
Why downunder? I am from Austria :P

I had a look at the Skinth sheaths and, although I really like them, they do not seem to be exactly what I need/want.
What I have in mind is more something like a "EDC duty belt" with small pouches dispersed over the length of the belt. I do not hate anything more when everything is hanging onto one side and you have to dig/push your way through things in your belt pouch. I like neat little solutions where everything has "it's" spot.

This is why I came up with the plan to use a rigger belt with different pouches. I also thought of putting them then in our portfolio, when I succeed to design a solution that I deem worthy and useful. But as of yet, the muse has not touched me.

Before I joined here I only carried a simple Multitool...

I used every single item in my setup way more often than I actually used my Multitool itself. Especially the Bits (well, the one set at least) I use several times a day at work. Even the inspection mirror saw more action lately than the Swisstool.
Oops, sorry I'm still not fully awake I thought it said Australia, my bad..
So more or less just a heavy belt with Molle? Or with its own pouches?
JR
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:21:57 PM by MadPlumbarian »

at Offline Daark

Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 03:29:14 PM
with individual molle pouches on the belt. I would like those pouches to be mountable on molle and normal trouser belts. Maybe I can find a way to put two or more of them together too (side by side) to make one larger pouch with several compartments.

But all this is by now just growing in my mind.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 02:59:35 AM
... What I have in mind is more something like a "EDC duty belt" with small pouches dispersed over the length of the belt. I do not hate anything more when everything is hanging onto one side and you have to dig/push your way through things in your belt pouch. I like neat little solutions where everything has "it's" spot.

The photos of the HighSpeedGear Sure-Grip Padded Belt on these web pages may give you ideas:

http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/sure-grip-padded-belt-31PB.html

http://www.thegearlocker.net/2012/03/hsgis-sure-grip-padded-belt-and-modular-padded-shoulder-system
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 01:10:06 PM
Nice setup ! :tu:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 08:02:48 PM
First badge, congrats.   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline Aloha