Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

nite ize inka

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
nite ize inka
on: February 02, 2016, 09:13:40 AM
nite ize inka, any good or too easy to lose cap, or stick with vic pen/manager/sig lite?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: nite ize inka
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 01:45:34 PM

If that's the one you are talking about, save your money.  If you are only taking notes occasionally it is too much effort to break apart and reassemble each time.  If you are looking to use it for longer periods, there are better/more comfortable pens out there.

If this is the one you are talking about then it's not bad, but I would suggest putting the stylus end in the carabiner so you have the extra length when writing.

Either way I think the Fisher Bullet is far superior in pretty much every way.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:14:08 AM
ok thanks, was looking at the one with carabiner, need a keychain attachment, not sure if space pen has?

Offline Ryo Saeba

Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 05:37:17 PM
Ive got one of the carabiner ones and it's pretty good.  I don't carry it on my keys though. Instead it rides in my wave sheath and I glued a couple strong magnets to the flat end so that I can use it as an improvised pickup tool.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 11:04:14 PM
I have the original and I much prefer it to the newer, carabiner version.  I have small hands so I don't need to assemble the full pen to take quick notes and if I need to do a longer writing session being able to turn it in to a full size is nice advantage.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 05:47:27 PM
nite ize inka, any good or too easy to lose cap, or stick with vic pen/manager/sig lite?

FWIW, a competitor to the Inka is the Fisher Space Pen Trekker.

http://fisherspacepen.com/search?q=trekker
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 05:25:35 PM
I'm personally of the opinion that a keychain pen should be as small as possible, when closed, so the original Inka Pen wins on this point. Also for situations where you just need to write a short note or sign something, the short part of the pen is perfectly suitable. However, I agree that adding the extension tube makes too long and is too fiddly. This is all a bit academic though, since the original Inka pen is no longer manufactured.

The NiteIze Inka pen just seems bulkier that it needs to be, has an overly large gate clip and is longer when closed than it is when open, which is a little bit of a poor design, for a keychain pen. Plus on my version, one of the caps has started to crack, due to it's overly tight fit.

A while ago, I had a play around with the basic design of the original Inka pen, to see if it could be made a little more functional, in it's current size.
I've made two variations on the same basic design, that work around the diameter and gauge of steel tubing that I could find at the time. I ended up making a hybrid of the original Inka pen and the Ohto Petit-B (both shown in the lower photos).

The blue plastic parts are 3D printed and the refill is a D1 mini, the same as both the Inka pens.

Here are some comparison photos:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 05:43:12 PM by Tofty »
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%