Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Getting into Gerber

Padre · 35 · 3928

fi Offline Padre

Getting into Gerber
on: February 02, 2016, 01:11:04 PM
Been looking my local dealers for few months now and have decided to get my hands on some Gerber MT.
I have heard good and bad things about their products, both from internet and my friends but I really want to make my own opinions.

Gerbers lineup is pretty large so finding a good tool from those seem to be pain in the ass, I have tried to hold few tools from them, but never really used them in my line of work (handyman).
These tools are pretty expensive down here and probably not worth the money, but hey, addict is an addict.

Could someone who has actually used these tools give me some opinions, both good and bad.

1st alternative: Gerber Flik.
This is the first Gerber I ever hold in my hand and it seemed pretty nice. Some rattle, but I guess thats the way with the mechanism of the pliers.
All the tools felt good enough quality, does it last if you work with it? I'm going to use this tool if I get it, its not just for collection. Does the phillips turn screws as it seemed the only tool that lacked some trust?
The scissors felt amazing, sure they are? What about the saw? Does it take down aluminium (light work), or just wood? How about plastic (thin polycarbonate)? How about maintenance of this tool, basic gun oil good for the mechanism?

2nd alternative: Bear Grylls Ultimate.
My workmate has Gerber like this, its not the same one but looks like the same. Cannot remember the name of that tool, but it has black handles and Gerber text with white font in it. He seems to be liking it. Then again he uses the pliers only for light work, its the blade he is using most often (and even abusing it). He also likes the "precision" driver. The thing I'm worrying about is the locks, do they last? They look... well a bit flimsy. The drivers seem to have really good reach (all of them). True? Any other points to worry about? Hows the pouch?

3rd alternative: Any other Gerber. Should new Gerber customer forget Flik or BG mentioned here? Whats the best Gerber alternative in your mind? The pricing really takes up on some models here (on full size tools at least). I'm not really looking for Dime-like small keychains here.

Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 01:13:14 PM by Padre »
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Getting into Gerber
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 01:29:28 PM
The Bear Grylls Ultimate MT is just a rebranded Suspension, which is not one of their best offerings.  I'd stay away from it myself.

I like the Flik a lot and used it as my work MT for a time.  If you search the review section you should find my video review on it.  That'll save me typing out all my thoughts. :D

I'd definitely recommend you look at the MP400, M450 and MP600 series as well (there are many different versions of the MP600 out there).  Also worth a look IMO are the Strata and the Diesel.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 01:44:58 PM
Agreed, have a look at the MP series of multitools. Specifically the MP600 and the many variations.

I can highly recommend any of the MP600 variations together with the bit-kit. The bit-kit will really extend the use of the tool and make it a viable option for many types of work. I often use mine at work and the bit-kit is what gets the most use, then the knives, then the pliers. I personally own a stainless MP600 Bluntnose with carbide inserts and the bit-kit and it is an excellent piece of kit to have on you.

As for the price, you could always order from the states, I buy my stuff from this place:
http://www.outfittercountry.com/p-5272-gerber-multi-plier-600-bluntnose-stainless-07500.aspx

http://www.outfittercountry.com/p-5273-gerber-multi-plier-600-needlenose-stainless-07530.aspx

http://www.outfittercountry.com/p-10796-gerber-multi-plier-600-pro-scout-needlenose-stainless-sheath-clam-47563.aspx

http://www.outfittercountry.com/p-5155-gerber-10-piece-tool-kit-for-mp400-mp600-mp650-mp700-mp800-45200.aspx

And the price of shipping is insanely low, at least to Sweden. About 13-ish dollars for 1-3 items or so.
I've bought from this place at least 15 times so far and not a single package has gotten caught in customs.
So I've escaped the Swedish sales tax EVERY single time so far! Shipping is fast too, about 1-1½ week or so.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 01:57:54 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm going to scrap the BG idea then. MP600 feels nice, but the thing that I don't like is that you seem to have to choose between scissors and a plain edge blade. Pro Scout always has combo blade right? And the bladeless... well its bladeless.
Maybe I could live with the combo knife as the serrations don't seem too aggressive... I have to think about it. Oh the desisions...  :think:

One more question.. the scissors between Flik and MP600... any real difference? Flik scissors look better, but thats only when looking Gerber site pictures.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:03:36 PM by Padre »
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 02:17:25 PM
Do you prefer outside opening tools, or would you accept tools that are inside handle?

Flik is great tool with outside opening tools. Minus points for short drivers.
Freehand big block with same load as Flik.
Suspension nice size drivers, outside opening tools, and springloaded pliers.
Mp600 bn good size drivers, replaceable cutters. Great in hand. Minus hidden tools. Easy to mod.

Flik, Freehand and Suspension i could part with. What city do you live?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 02:34:08 PM
Flik and mp400/600 have functionality the same scissors, and are very good. The Pro Scout version  is IMO the best stock version of the MP600.   After that,  id recommend the Diesel with a bit kit, and then the stock MP600. MP400 is a great choice in the midsized category, IMO better than the Flik.

I personally don't like the flik, and some people have had issues deploying the pliers.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 03:52:56 PM
Flik and MP400/600 scissors are identical in their good cutting ability.  The only significant difference is that the Flik ones are a little longer.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 05:08:52 PM
All right, good to hear that the scissors work in other models too. Never seen Diesel in my life, I have to check that out.
Modding capability isn't the thing for me, usually. I have made some stuff for my Leathermans, some minor stuff.
I kinda like the tools outside, but that won't affect the choice really as fiddling with these tools is fun anyways.  ;)

And for Crow: I live in Tampere.
Leatherman:
SOG:
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 05:52:22 PM
I'm not a fan of the Flik. Mine was defective, and I wasn't enthralled by the drivers. There's a review thread I did of the Flik and the MP700. I ended up much prefering the MP700 for urban use. On the main site, you'll find reviews I did of the Grappler and Bear Grylls Survival pack which has a Strata. The Strata has similarities to the Suspension that Gareth mentioned, but is a far superior tool.

Other recommendations are the MP600 and Diesel as others have mentioned. The MP400 is an excellent tool but might be lacking in features for your work needs.

The bit kits are handy "upgrades" for many of the tools, but there are two main types. Be sure to get the right one for whichever tool you choose  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 06:53:02 PM
I'd really recommend an MP600 or MP400.  An MP600 is built like a brick smurfhouse and is reasonably priced to boot.  I'd wait for a deal.  I got a new black oxide MP400 for $22 on Amazon.  Just check prices periodically and eventually a good deal will present itself.

I actually like the Suspension more than most.  It isn't the best and has some definite design flaws (very heavy, lots of wasted space), but I think it is pretty sturdy and useful.  Very comfortable pliers, the best locking system on any multitool I've ever seen, generally well formed drivers.  You see them on Amazon for like $20-$25, which I think is worth the price. 

As others have mentioned, it doesn't make sense to get the Bear Grylls Ultimate multitool, it is just a rebranded Suspension that costs twice as much.  On the other hand, the Bear Grylls version of the Gerber Strata seems to be cheaper than the Strata and frankly better.

Good luck.  Gerber multitools are a real joy.

Edit: just realized you are not in the USA.  The Alchian-Allen effect might make it worthwhile to go towards a higher-end Gerber.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:57:56 PM by NetsNJ »

fi Offline Padre

Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 08:03:31 PM
just realized you are not in the USA.  The Alchian-Allen effect might make it worthwhile to go towards a higher-end Gerber.

Yeah, I guess I should go for the best then. So I start hunting for best deal for MP600 then I guess, as people tend to love it the most.
The A-A effect just isn't perfect, as Fiskars is from here... :(
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:05:07 PM by Padre »
Leatherman:
SOG:
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 01:31:44 AM
The MP600 is my favorite multitool.  It gets by far the most carry time with me, in its Pro Scout form.  The Strata is an excellent, underrated tool as well.  However, as the resident preacher of the Flicky Faith, I have to say go with the 600. You won't disappoined. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 01:42:34 AM
The MP600 is my favorite multitool.  It gets by far the most carry time with me, in its Pro Scout form.  The Strata is an excellent, underrated tool as well.  However, as the resident preacher of the Flicky Faith, I have to say go with the 600. You won't disappoined. :tu:

Still carrying the red one you got from me a while back? I have not seen it in a long while.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:43:46 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 01:49:14 AM

Still carrying the red one you got from me a while back? I have not seen it in a long while.

I carry it a bit, but that paint is fragile.  But since it's Devils colors, it sees some time in a sheath. >:D. My everyday one is my silver one, my workhorse.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 02:15:44 AM

JD has kept the Faith!   :tu:

You can't go wrong with the MP400/600 tools, and the ability to "flick" it open is quite handy...that's why I still carry my Mr. Pinchy.  I'm also a big follower/user of the Strata.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 05:03:22 AM

I carry it a bit, but that paint is fragile.  But since it's Devils colors, it sees some time in a sheath. >:D. My everyday one is my silver one, my workhorse.

As expected. Glad she at least sees some daylight even if not used much.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 08:31:24 AM
After the Spirit the MP-600 is my 2nd favorite.
This is the one MT you can easily customize to your needs. Lots of choices in pliers head (blunt or needle-nose / with or without replaceable wire-cutters / and some rare/exotic choices like extreme needle-nose for fishers and shears).

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 04:46:45 PM
I am going to pile on in favor of the MP600. I have the basic model with carbide cutters, but I would recommend getting the ProScout because it has much more well-rounded tool-set. The MP600 can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever...

I have a Flik, and there are things I love about it - the pliers and scissors are great. But it has some severe marks against it. Namely the super short drivers and no file.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

fi Offline Padre

Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 09:41:32 PM
So let the great hunt for MP600 begin!  :salute:
Leatherman:
SOG:
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 01:42:59 AM
I have a few, and the MP600 Pro Scout and Diesel are my favorites.  I recommend both

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 02:19:30 AM
The MP600 can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever...

:D

And yet the tool used in the movie as well as for promotion of T3 is the MP700.....

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 06:29:03 AM
The MP600 can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever...

And yet the tool used in the movie as well as for promotion of T3 is the MP700.....

Fitting. You wouldn't want to sully a great tool like the MP600 with a turd like T3
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 02:57:41 PM

Fitting. You wouldn't want to sully a great tool like the MP600 with a turd like T3

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Gerber did exactly that, in fact they sold T3 promo versions of the MP400 and MP600, as well as MP700   :pok:

I don't think Gerber were very fussy about what they put on promo versions of their tools.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

fi Offline Padre

Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 04:23:37 PM
So what are MP700 and 800?
How many freaking Gerbers there are!
 ???
Leatherman:
SOG:
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 04:39:12 PM
 ???

I highly recommend you check out this topic, it'll tell you everything you need to know.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,18487.msg348868.html#msg348868

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 05:29:52 PM
If you are interested and can track one down, there is a bladeless MP600 as well....
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 06:53:38 PM
If you are interested and can track one down, there is a bladeless MP600 as well....
Dont forget the MP600 DET (has a c4 spike) and the MP600 ST (extra long Phillips and combo blade, plus sight adjustment tool)
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 07:01:56 PM
 ???

More than you can imagine.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 07:04:13 PM
 ???

I highly recommend you check out this topic, it'll tell you everything you need to know.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,18487.msg348868.html#msg348868

Kudos to Dan and his excellent collection of Gerbers, but I doubt even he has all the different versions of MTs that Gerber ever made.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 11:19:01 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Gerber did exactly that, in fact they sold T3 promo versions of the MP400 and MP600, as well as MP700   :pok:

I don't think Gerber were very fussy about what they put on promo versions of their tools.

Wow. I can't say I am surprised. This IS the brand that teamed with Bear Grylls to put out a "survival" line of gear. The same Bear Grylls that "survives" with aid of spotters and experts, and stays the night in the nearest Hilton shill in the middle of his excursions.

I wish the side of Gerber that puts out good products could somehow differentiate from the side that puts out guano.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%