Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Foreign Knife Wrench ID

us Offline Pile Driver

Foreign Knife Wrench ID
on: February 03, 2016, 07:15:45 PM
Anyone have any information on this? Seems old because of the pilot bit and that being the case its in great shape.

Also, if someone could PM me the value, that would be appreciated as I try and keep that type of information in my catalog.
20160203_130758_resized.jpg
* 20160203_130758_resized.jpg (Filesize: 176.74 KB)
20160203_130613_resized.jpg
* 20160203_130613_resized.jpg (Filesize: 146.75 KB)
20160203_130330_resized.jpg
* 20160203_130330_resized.jpg (Filesize: 134.24 KB)
20160203_130638_resized.jpg
* 20160203_130638_resized.jpg (Filesize: 159.9 KB)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Foreign Knife Wrench ID
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:19:41 PM
I've never seen anything like it, but it sure is an interesting one.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:38:35 PM
Very nice, as above I've never seen anything like it. It looks well built, good luck with the search

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:39:24 PM
Very nice, as above I've never seen anything like it. It looks well built, good luck with the search

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 12:14:11 AM
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:16:00 AM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

us Offline Pile Driver

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 12:25:05 AM
D.R.G.M indicates it is German made.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186714

There are similar ones on the multi tool museum website, distributed through hoffritz. Mine has to be at the very least about 100 bucks considering inflation from that add lol.

http://www.multi-tool.org/vintagewrenches

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 12:42:29 AM
"FOREIGN" might have been a required marking for import in that time period.

us Offline Pile Driver

Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 01:58:40 AM
"FOREIGN" might have been a required marking for import in that time period.

I like that hypothesis, have not been able to find much on that tang stamp

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 05:02:21 AM
I tried translating "Coñac Oxigenado" from Spanish...got "Become oxygenated brandy" or "Oxygenated cognac"  ??? :think:

us Offline Pile Driver

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 04:56:27 PM
I tried translating "Coñac Oxigenado" from Spanish...got "Become oxygenated brandy" or "Oxygenated cognac"  ??? :think:

Similar findings, my only hope is that the engraving is period, and relevant and not something done to degrade it after the fact.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 01:34:39 AM
These wrench-knives were made in Germany, with several old advertisements for them I've seen from the 1950's. (see below) It is possible that they were first made before WWII, but I haven't found any evidence of that. Many which turn up in the USA are stamped Hoffritz, or Voss Cutlery. Both companies were importers and had retail outlets in New York and distribution to the rest of the U.S.

The ones that were stamped "FOREIGN" seem to have been imported by countries other than the U.S. I've seen them listed by eBay sellers from the U.K. and they are always stamped FOREIGN. Perhaps it was a law back then in some countries, to distinguish imported items from domestically-made items?

As regards Coñac Oxigenado, it was almost certainly a brand of spirits that was available at the time, and your wrench-knife was an advertising premium. Apparently the practice was quite common back in the day. I have other knives in my collection stamped Moët & Chandon, Dry Monopol, Sparkling Champagne, etc. In my opinion this adds to the value of the item, not detracts.

Bob :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Pile Driver

Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 12:58:05 AM
These wrench-knives were made in Germany, with several old advertisements for them I've seen from the 1950's. (see below) It is possible that they were first made before WWII, but I haven't found any evidence of that. Many which turn up in the USA are stamped Hoffritz, or Voss Cutlery. Both companies were importers and had retail outlets in New York and distribution to the rest of the U.S.

The ones that were stamped "FOREIGN" seem to have been imported by countries other than the U.S. I've seen them listed by eBay sellers from the U.K. and they are always stamped FOREIGN. Perhaps it was a law back then in some countries, to distinguish imported items from domestically-made items?

As regards Coñac Oxigenado, it was almost certainly a brand of spirits that was available at the time, and your wrench-knife was an advertising premium. Apparently the practice was quite common back in the day. I have other knives in my collection stamped Moët & Chandon, Dry Monopol, Sparkling Champagne, etc. In my opinion this adds to the value of the item, not detracts.

Bob :)

(Image removed from quote.)

Awesome!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31