Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rebar vs. Crunch..

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Rebar vs. Crunch..
on: February 03, 2016, 08:55:45 PM

I think I am going to give a Leatherman mt a shot. I have it narrowed down to either a Rebar or Crunch. The ST300 looks good but would be too big for my small hands. Which should I go with?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Rebar vs. Crunch..
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 08:58:55 PM
The Rebar will be more versatile and easy to mod if you want to add or remove tools.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:25:17 PM
Just an FYI, I have small hands for my height (5'9") and I can use the ST 300 comfortably.  The handle splay isn't bad.  Both are great tools. 

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:27:35 PM by NetsNJ »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:33:14 PM
Just an FYI, I have small hands for my height (5'9") and I can use the ST 300 comfortably.  The handle splay isn't bad.  Both are great tools. 

(Image removed from quote.)
I found the ST300 too thick to hold personally, and I am of similar height/hand size.

As far as Rebar vs Crunch, I'd say Rebar. While the Crunch is a cool bit of engineering, it has a much more limited tool set.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

fi Offline Padre

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 09:36:37 PM
Rebar would usually serve people better because better blade and generally more useful pliers. Do you need the locking pliers of the Crunch so bad? If you do then go for it. Also ST300 isn't too big for even small girls hands, but if you carry it on your belt the weight might get annoying.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 10:49:52 PM
I'd have to agree that the Rebar would be a better choice of the 2.  The Crunch is awesome and has a good tool set its just not as tool rich as the Rebar.  If you find yourself needing locking pliers and some drivers then the Crunch wins hands down again between the 2.  Tho honestly you could always add a small vice grip to your Rebar and come away with a great pairing.  Don't forget you'll need a SAK with scissors either way you go since neither has them. 
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 11:03:16 PM
What's wrong with you guys ...  :rant:

Shouldn't you be saying, get both (or at least: get the Rebar first and then go for the Crunch ... )  :twak:.

;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 11:38:11 PM
What's wrong with you guys ...  :rant:

Shouldn't you be saying, get both (or at least: get the Rebar first and then go for the Crunch ... )  :twak:.

;)

:rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline temo

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 12:42:25 AM
I did narrow down to rebar and crunch as well and then got supertool 300. Crunch is still in my some day list. So for me it would be better if you choose crunch and write your opinions from that :) I would like to know how well it handles regular plier tasks. Lock I know would be useful in some tasks. But I think both should be great and of course needed in everyday tasks.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:43:49 AM by temo »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 04:52:39 PM
Regardless of which one I went with, i'd just carry a pair of electrician scissors with it to carry to take care of scissor needs. I also carry a Crater/Vic Soldier/Gerber EAB for folding purposes.

I picked the Crunch as a finalist because it is so unique. I already have the saw taken care of with the Vic OH soldier so the limited tool set on the Crunch wouldn't bother me.

If I went w/the Rebar, I have a pair of the long pointy Vise Grips I could pair with it on top of electrician scissors to take care of that part. I would just buy a bigger sheath..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

Offline Ryo Saeba

Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 05:40:40 PM
If you're going to carry that other stuff then the crunch seems like a better pick.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 06:39:04 PM
For me it seems that you have already made up your mind, and thats fine, because Crunch is an awesome tool!
 :D
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 05:12:38 PM
Crunch seems to be winning out tool wise but Rebar wins the price/bang for your buck category  :D

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 10:46:56 PM
I'd go with a crunch it's the best leatherman tool I've had and is the only  leatherman I have left , I got rid of the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weasel

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 10:52:08 PM
It depends, what are you using it for?

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 05:41:01 PM
It would be for general carry I guess. I already carry a Vic Soldier so it would be in a complement role in my work bag.

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 06:14:20 PM
It would be for general carry I guess. I already carry a Vic Soldier so it would be in a complement role in my work bag.

You can't go wrong, but the Crunch from what I've heard might be the way to go if you don't use it as your primary tool.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 08:30:56 PM
I don't think i'd rely on it for cutting so i'd rather have something for gripping purposes..

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 04:02:41 AM
If you want it to lock onto something instead of purely relying on your grip the Crunch is a great option.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 04:57:06 PM
I'm going to throw another wrench into the mix..how about a Kick compared to the other two?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 05:11:10 PM
I'm going to throw another wrench into the mix..how about a Kick compared to the other two?
Unless you can't have tool locks for whatever reason, move on. The Kick has a very limited tool load, and dosent deliver any real advantage over other tools.  For example,  the Kick is almost exactly the same size as a Rebar, but the Rebar has tool locks, a longer main blade, saw, file, awl serrated blade, and replacable cutters. The Kick is arguably more ergonomic (many dissagree), but for the size the Rebar (or the barely larger Spirit) have a much higher tool density.

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 05:21:58 PM
On the other hand: the Kick is light, simple, cheap, can take a pocket clip and is non-locking. :whistle:

Joe, just buy the Spirit. :pok:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 05:23:03 PM
On the other hand: the Kick is light, simple, cheap, can take a pocket clip and is non-locking. :whistle:

Joe, just buy the Spirit. :pok:
Sidekick is better than a Kick... :pok:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 05:29:59 PM
You've not actually held a Sidekick then?  ;)

fi Offline Padre

Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 05:35:07 PM
Kick is very different comparing to Rebar. Fuse and Blast are closer.
Leatherman:
SOG:
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 06:18:18 PM
You've not actually held a Sidekick then?  ;)
I have, and I rather liked it thank you very much. :P The Sidekick does its shortcommings, but not as many as the Kick. The only reason I still have a Kick kickin' around is because its sentimental, and it still lives in my glovebox.

Kick is very different comparing to Rebar. Fuse and Blast are closer.
I agree, but the differences IMO makes the Rebar a better choice. And they are still 4" multis, with the same dimensions and build quality. Holding them to the same standards is perfectly valid, as that is exactly what TJ has asked for.

The Fuse and Blast are both wider than the Rebar, which is why I suggested the Rebar (rather than the Fuse or Blast) over the Kick. Same dimensions, significantly better toolset.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 07:37:27 PM
True to that.

The thing with Kick is without the locking tools it feels cheap. And that is the reason I got rid of my own Kick.
At least Fuse and Blast have the same locking mechanism and bigger blade just like Rebar. Thenagain they both have scissors that Rebar is lacking.
Leatherman:
SOG:
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 07:14:30 PM
I did some research and I think it's now down to either the Crunch or a Super Tool 300..  :whistle:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: February 25, 2016, 07:19:11 PM
I did some research and I think it's now down to either the Crunch or a Super Tool 300..  :whistle:

Rebar vs ST300 vs Crunch with Rebar taking the back seat  :think:.  Still same dilemma in a way with the ST300 being nearly identical to the Rebar other than size and one flat driver. 
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 07:42:01 PM
Dude's just trolling now.

:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!