Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

5.11 Rush12 Backpack - experience?

bavaria Offline Humppa

5.11 Rush12 Backpack - experience?
on: February 07, 2016, 04:29:01 PM
Hi guys & gals!

I´m carrying my trusty Maxpedition Jumbo EDC now for almost roundabout five years and I realised recently that the bag will loosen up. I carried it daily during this long time in every situation and every weather and occassion. It served me well.

BUT I need more space for my stuff for EDC carry. So I wanted to go back to a regular backpack/rucksack again.

I just did some research. And found out that Rush12 bag by 5.11 could fit my needs. Since I was very satisfied with my Maxpedition bag I saw that they turned up their prices in other spheres... no more a good deal.

Almost a little on the pricey side. So before I do the purchase I have some questions to you.

What are your experiences with 5.11 and in particular with this backpack?
How does it hold up?
Are zippers well made?
Is it waterproof?

Thanks in advance!
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: 5.11 Rush12 Backpack - experience?
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 05:22:55 PM
I have 2x of them, but never use them because I have tons of other Maxpedition bags that I use.  I bought the Rush 12 because the guys who do security at my church carry them.

There is plenty to like about them.  They are well constructed, and are made in such a way that you can swing the pack from your back to your front in order to access the contents quickly and without having to remove the bag.   The zippers and internal pockets are configured in a way that promotes this process.  I don't know about long term durability, but they seem very well constructed and I suspect they will last a long time.

For me, the downside is that they seem somewhat heavy for their size.  And I prefer the internal pocket arrangement (i.e., more of them) in my Maxpedition products.  I also just don't use the "swing to the front" feature, though it could be helpful especially if accessing a self-protection device quickly.

So I think they are good stuff, and well constructed.  I just prefer the Maxpedition Mongo for my purposes.  The Mongo looks more like a laptop bag rather than a tactical warrior type bag, which lets me fly below the radar.  I like being invisible, so I can strike with surprise like a deadly panther.

Get the Rush 12 if you want it.  No reservations.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 09:36:17 PM
I have the Rush24 since last November, the slightly bigger version.

I really like the many compartments and I could fit all the stuff Sweety and I needed for an overnighter in it. I am contemplating getting some Tasmanian Tiger Pouches for it.

So far I am satisfied with the quality and material. It is impregnated, but not water proof. Most rain just pearls off, though.

powernoodle: I think you got confused between the RUSH MOAB 10 (gearslinger, one strap, CCW compartment) and RUSH 12 (backpack, 2 straps, no CCW compartment) - So no "swing to the front" but your other points are valid: PALS webbing and quite heavy.
I do not think "flying below the radar" is as much a problem in Germany as in the States: Nearly no ccw-licenses and even the radical leftists like wearing Bundeswehr Parkas and carrying BW backpacks :D

us Online powernoodle

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 10:20:19 PM
powernoodle: I think you got confused between the RUSH MOAB 10 (gearslinger, one strap, CCW compartment) and RUSH 12

Yes I did.  Thank you.   I get confused on a daily basis around here.   :think:

I have 2x Rush 10s and 1x Rush 12.  It was the 10 I was referring to above.

As for a traditional backpack design, I prefer the Maxpedition Condor II, which compares directly to the Rush 12.  My preference is subjective, really, because my sons (ages 14 and 18) have used their respective Condor II backs for 8 years now and the bags are holding up great.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 10:38:28 PM
I have a Rush 24,  and I love it. 

here is my write-up

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,62606.msg1166778.html#msg1166778
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 12:12:30 AM
I may not be much help, but I love my Rush 12. It has been holding up great. I honestly do not carry it that much, but it may be seeing much more use in the near future. The backpack is very well constructed and feels like it will hold up for a long, long time.
I'm the milk man!

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 08:02:35 PM
Thanks for the kind replies, fellas - much appreciated! :)

I really need a new pack... the poor Maxpedition served me for so long, but now its time has come.

You guys strengthened my thoughts on the 5.11. It seems to be a well made backpack with in the mid-price range.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69