Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your most untool like multitool

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Your most untool like multitool
on: February 07, 2016, 06:40:11 PM
We all have one, and we probably don't even know it. A multipurpose, multifunction widget we keep around that we don't think of as a tool. And no, your smartphone doesn't count.

One of mine is a 16" length of 12" plank that I keep in my car that I put a couple of large binder clips on. I use it as portable desk, something other than bare ground to sit on when I'm waiting outside of the car, something to put my feet on if I have to change my shoes, and a coaster of unsual size for somethign hot. It has also gone under the small butane camp stove I keep in the trunk. And yesterday, I used it and two water bottles to create roof for two dozen eggs becuase I was afraid my other groceries were going to squash them- the new grocery bags are slippery feeling.

So... what is your very untool multitool?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nl Offline anditsgone

Re: Your most untool like multitool
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 09:41:46 PM
Does my Zippo count?

Used it as a light in dark rooms, used it as a small stove to melt candles in a tin can, used it to unfreeze my bicyecle lock in the winter, used it to warm my hands in the winter and many more applications....

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 11:27:33 PM
I really like the board idea. I also really need to pick up a zippo!

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 12:39:31 AM
There is that odd piece of oak, about 40x60x160 mm. When I built my bed, this piece just jumped into my toolbox, and since then proved to be super versatile. Keeping doors open, acting as a bolster when hammering floorboards together, doubling as a cutting-mat, small wooden hammer, used for scraping surfaces and cleaning spatulas ... great piece of German engineering ;-)
Tomcat
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 03:38:25 AM
Does my Zippo count?

Used it as a light in dark rooms, used it as a small stove to melt candles in a tin can, used it to unfreeze my bicyecle lock in the winter, used it to warm my hands in the winter and many more applications....

They work wonders in a portapotty and other public restrooms.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 04:12:55 AM
The best I can come up with is a 6" rule, or a scribe, both of which are used inappropriately for various things, but both of which are still tools in their own right,

so I don't have much to add.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 07:47:10 AM

How about my pencil? Use it as a back scratcher and a roller massager on my calf and quad muscles.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 06:19:13 AM
My bandanas
Ive used them as;
face wraps in the cold, pot holders, to protect a hand from sharp edges when without gloves, work surfaces to keep from loosing small parts, shop towel, sacks, bindings, and of course handkerchief.

I was disappointed in the quality of the last bunch I bought though. I am thinking of making some out of nice sturdy pillow tucking and seeing how they do
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 02:59:57 AM
Continuous miner cutting teeth.  My grandfather worked in and around the coal mines, and accrued a number of spent teeth like this.  They're good for using as a center punch, and as a striking tool themselves as they are made of a very heavy steel. I have one in my toolbox and he's got several all over the place.

Second place is nails of various sizes, as they too work well as punches. Finishing nails can be used to remove Victorinox scissor springs, and large ones for general use. 

Thirdly would be my new Fisher Bullet .357 Cartridge Pen.  The thing's made of such heavy brass it could be used as a weapon.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 01:23:19 PM
Continuous miner cutting teeth.  My grandfather worked in and around the coal mines, and accrued a number of spent teeth like this.  They're good for using as a center punch, and as a striking tool themselves as they are made of a very heavy steel. I have one in my toolbox and he's got several all over the place.

Second place is nails of various sizes, as they too work well as punches. Finishing nails can be used to remove Victorinox scissor springs, and large ones for general use. 

Thirdly would be my new Fisher Bullet .357 Cartridge Pen.  The thing's made of such heavy brass it could be used as a weapon.

:worthless:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 10:13:11 PM
In the past I've used rail spikes for the same purposes as above for mining teeth. I used to always seem to have a couple lying around or in my truck.
Now I only have a few and think they're lost in a parts bucket somewhere. Haven't seen them in a couple years. Mabey its time to sort my tool locker
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:15:33 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

it Offline Tommy07

Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 06:19:15 PM
My lighter!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85