Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone from Wyoming, Montana, Idaho or Utah?

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Anyone from Wyoming, Montana, Idaho or Utah?
on: February 08, 2016, 09:37:03 AM
Hello Folks!  :salute:
I am going to visit the Yellowstone Park area this summer, on our honeymoon. Is there anyone from that part of the US who is willing to give some advice for our trip? Thanks in advance!
Antonio

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Anyone from Wyoming, Montana, Idaho or Utah?
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 04:10:36 AM
I'm from down in Colorado, but was up there a few years back.

The biggest advice I can give is: make hotel reservations. Was up there in September, which I thought was off-season. Instead got the last room in town. The motel manager was nice enough to call around and make reservations for the next several nights, or I'd been sleeping in the car.

My route was:

Cody, Wyoming (including Buffalo Bill Historical Center)

Gardner, Montana

Jackson, Wyoming

with a counter-clockwise swing around Yellowstone and down to Grand Teton.

Lots of other possible ways however.

Have a great trip!

Yellowstone-area-map.jpg
* Yellowstone-area-map.jpg (Filesize: 242.56 KB)

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 09:33:46 AM
I'm from down in Colorado, but was up there a few years back.

The biggest advice I can give is: make hotel reservations. Was up there in September, which I thought was off-season. Instead got the last room in town. The motel manager was nice enough to call around and make reservations for the next several nights, or I'd been sleeping in the car.

My route was:

Cody, Wyoming (including Buffalo Bill Historical Center)

Gardner, Montana

Jackson, Wyoming

with a counter-clockwise swing around Yellowstone and down to Grand Teton.

Lots of other possible ways however.

Have a great trip!
Thank you very much for the reply, mate! I will for sure book everything in advance! Did you enjoy your trip? Was it worth? Thanks again!

Inviato dal mio LG-H500 utilizzando Tapatalk

Antonio

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 01:42:02 PM
I'm told Europeans often underestimate the sheer size of the US national parks and the dangers that comes with the size. European remote locations doesn't really come close to how remote you can get in the US. This should never be a problem for most travellers of course but a multitool and a couple of litres of water extra in the car could come in handy.

Then again I was a bit scared off by this story that took place in one of the most hostile environments on earth, Death Valley (clue's in the name guys!). It's a long read but very fascinating as a European where death by exposure seems much more rare and the environment is usually much more forgiving.
Show content
TL.DR. group of German tourists including 4 y.o. boy underestimate Death Valley in the midst of summer.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 03:04:07 PM
I'm told Europeans often underestimate the sheer size of the US national parks and the dangers that comes with the size. European remote locations doesn't really come close to how remote you can get in the US. This should never be a problem for most travellers of course but a multitool and a couple of litres of water extra in the car could come in handy.

Then again I was a bit scared off by this story that took place in one of the most hostile environments on earth, Death Valley (clue's in the name guys!). It's a long read but very fascinating as a European where death by exposure seems much more rare and the environment is usually much more forgiving.
Show content
TL.DR. group of German tourists including 4 y.o. boy underestimate Death Valley in the midst of summer.
+1 on that. Also if you rent a car... rent a bigger car! With a bit of off-road capabilities as not all roads are tarmac (who can blame them with those distances).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 04:45:46 PM
Thank you everyone for your precious advice, please keep it coming!

Inviato dal mio LG-H500 utilizzando Tapatalk

Antonio

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 07:20:38 PM
Definitely keep size in mind. Wyoming is 253,000 sq km, larger than the United Kingdom, while its population is less than 600,000. Parts of Wyoming are beautiful, while other parts have an awful lot of nothing.

Lots of things to see in Yellowstone. Old Faithful gets all the press, but there are geysers, boiling mud pots and hot springs all over. When I was there Spasm Geyser in the Lower Geyser Basin was erupting almost continuously for the half-hour I watched. Yellowstone Falls, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone (not the Colorado), Mammoth Hot Springs are all great. And the Tetons are spectacular.

Also lots of wild life. Buffalo and elk are pretty certain, while I lucked into a grizzly bear; and river otters and a moose down in Grand Teton NP.

The Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody is a complex of a half-dozen museums. Very interesting.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:21:50 PM
Definitely keep size in mind. Wyoming is 253,000 sq km, larger than the United Kingdom, while its population is less than 600,000. Parts of Wyoming are beautiful, while other parts have an awful lot of nothing.

Lots of things to see in Yellowstone. Old Faithful gets all the press, but there are geysers, boiling mud pots and hot springs all over. When I was there Spasm Geyser in the Lower Geyser Basin was erupting almost continuously for the half-hour I watched. Yellowstone Falls, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone (not the Colorado), Mammoth Hot Springs are all great. And the Tetons are spectacular.

Also lots of wild life. Buffalo and elk are pretty certain, while I lucked into a grizzly bear; and river otters and a moose down in Grand Teton NP.

The Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody is a complex of a half-dozen museums. Very interesting.
Just a note, since we seem to be getting all doom and gloom on this thread...

While the animals are very cool, they are also pretty dangerous, and are not afraid of humans (too many idiot visitors leave food out, or activly feed them! :rant:). Dont get out of the car if there are any in the road. Wait them out. They will  (eventually) move.

Especially moose. Bears get a bad rap, but are gennerally pretty docile (as long as you leave them alone). Moose have been known to attack with little to no reason, and are extremly aggressive.

Now that thats out of the way, I bet you'll have a blast!

And as always, take nothing but pictures, and leave nothing but footprints! :tu:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:23:20 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 11:32:06 PM
Test

Trying to resize photos. seems to be working.
IMG_0966.jpg
* IMG_0966.jpg (Filesize: 269.92 KB)
IMG_0993.jpg
* IMG_0993.jpg (Filesize: 324.15 KB)
IMG_1004.jpg
* IMG_1004.jpg (Filesize: 302.72 KB)
IMG_1037.jpg
* IMG_1037.jpg (Filesize: 104.83 KB)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:39:09 PM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 11:44:26 PM
Some more.

IMG_0996.jpg
* IMG_0996.jpg (Filesize: 333.87 KB)
IMG_1013.jpg
* IMG_1013.jpg (Filesize: 309.55 KB)
IMG_1089.jpg
* IMG_1089.jpg (Filesize: 190.55 KB)
IMG_1092.jpg
* IMG_1092.jpg (Filesize: 354.95 KB)

us Offline campussecurity

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 12:00:34 AM
Beautiful land out there. I own 100 acres in Shelby, Montana. Plan to build a house and retire out there.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 12:46:45 AM
Beautiful land out there. I own 100 acres in Shelby, Montana. Plan to build a house and retire out there.

Sounds like great plan!   :cheers:

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 09:27:59 AM
Thanks to you all comrades for the great feedback!  :cheers: :tu:
Antonio

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 09:30:05 AM

Show content
Than you very much for the advice, no way i am going to understimate the desert's sun!
Antonio

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 09:31:58 AM

Show content
+1 on that. Also if you rent a car... rent a bigger car! With a bit of off-road capabilities as not all roads are tarmac (who can blame them with those distances).
I will remember this, thanks!  :salute:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:34:10 AM by SolomonKane79 »
Antonio

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 09:35:03 AM

Precious info, thanks!  :tu:
Antonio

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 09:36:16 AM
Some more.
Beautiful, many thanks for sharing mate!  :tu:
Antonio

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 09:39:05 AM

Just a note, since we seem to be getting all doom and gloom on this thread...

While the animals are very cool, they are also pretty dangerous, and are not afraid of humans (too many idiot visitors leave food out, or activly feed them! :rant:). Dont get out of the car if there are any in the road. Wait them out. They will  (eventually) move.

Especially moose. Bears get a bad rap, but are gennerally pretty docile (as long as you leave them alone). Moose have been known to attack with little to no reason, and are extremly aggressive.

Now that thats out of the way, I bet you'll have a blast!

And as always, take nothing but pictures, and leave nothing but footprints! :tu:

Thanks again, these are precious info. I am not going to play the italian Steve Irwin(RIP) for sure!  :tu:
Antonio

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 09:44:09 AM
I am going to bring my LM charge as Fortytwo suggested and all the trinkets i am allowed to bring and carry by the law! Any suggestion about useful items i could bring? Of course i have to consider the limited capacity of luggages... So i'll have to bring only essentials...  :multi:
Antonio

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 05:56:38 PM
If you are going to bring any mt's, you will have to stash them in your checked in luggage. You can't carry anything in your carry on luggage..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 10:24:42 AM
If you are going to bring any mt's, you will have to stash them in your checked in luggage. You can't carry anything in your carry on luggage..

True, I just assumed everyone knew that by now (but then again TSA sales proves not everyone knows). Those rules are just the same here in Europe (most of the world I believe) since 9/11 (before that things were a bit more lax).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%