Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lauri Carbon Blade

Corwyn · 24 · 4086

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Lauri Carbon Blade
on: February 09, 2016, 10:20:44 AM
So... I found this gorgeous handmade puuko with Lauri Carbon Steel blade.
Do you know anything about it? Is it a rust magnet? Will it leave an awful taste in the food?

I never use my Opie Carbons because of that...

If not.. I'll ask for a SS custom...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Re: Lauri Carbon Blade
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:44:51 AM
Basically yes. Any carbon blade will leave little metallic taste to your food.

Same Lauri blades are found with stainless. For food, i would get ss one.

What did you find?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 11:06:25 AM

125 mm blade, birch, veneer, leather, elk horn and brass.
With sheath included it is about 71 USD shipped... which is a looot of money for me but I just fell in love with it, but really wanted to be able to use it for food too...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 11:14:58 AM
Looks great. And good price. Whom makes it?

I see no problem of using them on food. Just keep blade clean and shiny, and you minimize it affecting food.

That is rather long blade. What are you going to do with it? I would suggest adding one shorter for utility use.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 11:48:32 AM
Some local guy, called Enrico Deliomini. It seems he mostly resells surplus army gear.

He also has a 105 mm one available. You recon it's a better size for bushcrafty-stuff and closer to a standard puuko?

I just measured a bit and you are right, For me a 86 mm Vic or a Spydie Para2 87 mm feel just the perfect size.

It's just that I have a Mora Basic (91 mm blade and it feels so flimsy  :-\ ) Maybe it was shortened when I received it as it was derusted with a grinding machine...

PS: Now I realised that 111 mm Vics actually have only 86 mm blades.  :facepalm:

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 12:06:26 PM
I would think you get more out of that 105mm one. Ones i prefer, are 90-105mm.

Normally puukko blades, depending maker and model,  are 80-105mm length. Mostly users go in range of 90-100mm. Longer than that, i see no use other than stabbing big game.

Good way to measure desired puukko blade length is by measuring your own palm width. That is about best size of your blade.

I would suggest you go to local hardwareshop, and handle some craftsmans/handyman knives, and see how their blade legths suit you.

I know you want to have Marttiini puukko. I could help you find one used or new here, if you want so.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:10:36 PM
125mm and 85mm made by me and Lauri blades.
uploadfromtaptalk1455016183179.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1455016183179.jpg (Filesize: 119.57 KB)

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 12:30:10 PM
Thank you... perfect photo.
I think somewhere around 105mm would be just fine for me. 86 seems really small with that big handle.

Not sure about Marttiini. I heard some good things about them and a lot of bad ones... As my budget is very low, I will rarely use these, I will probably just get one, the prettiest I can find and afford that will mostly stay in the showcase and 1-2 days a month it will go in the woods for food prep and light wood cutting (no batoning and stuff).

I really like the ones below... any chance of getting one (or something similar) at around 50-75 USD in those parts? I like horn, leather and brass on the handles, or at least one of them  :P

http://www.knifebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Marttiini-Lapp-Knife-11cm-Stainless-Steel-Knife---2230010---8158.html
http://www.knifeworks.com/karesuandoknivenwillowgrouse.aspx#.VrnMEPl96M8
http://www.helle.no/products/knives/odel/

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 12:39:25 PM
If it is just to show off, go with that big one. You will manage good with it outdoors as casual use. It will do what it was intented.

85mm is small side, but does everything good without long blade coming to way. Remember, those are made by me, and for my hand size.

I will have to look what can be found. Little i afraid, that those are prices of them here. But i will let know what comes up.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:41:00 PM by Crow »

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 01:06:59 PM
I think somewhere around 105mm would be just fine for me. 86 seems really small with that big handle.

Depending on dimensions, a big handle for a small blade can be very functional. Lots of different grip positions possible and it's easier to concentrate force where you need it, resulting in good cutting performance.

I hope that makes sense  :)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 01:53:04 PM

Depending on dimensions, a big handle for a small blade can be very functional. Lots of different grip positions possible and it's easier to concentrate force where you need it, resulting in good cutting performance.

I don't know I still think my Mora looks gimped and feels unwieldy, like a sumo wrestler with "endowment issues".
By the way, the guy said he will give me a quote for a 95 SS Lauri blade with the same materials as the 125 one... I wonder if the handle will stay the same length...?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 02:35:54 PM
Will it leave an awful taste in the food?

You guys have me worried, they say there's a bigger problem if your smell & taste doesn't work......

I've never tasted this, and I use a carbon Opinel for a fruit knife....

What do you have to do to taste it?  Will you get the taste from just cutting an apple?

Nice knives BTW......get 2!  :salute:  :rofl:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 02:45:23 PM
Will it leave an awful taste in the food?

You guys have me worried, they say there's a bigger problem if your smell & taste doesn't work......

I've never tasted this, and I use a carbon Opinel for a fruit knife....

What do you have to do to taste it?  Will you get the taste from just cutting an apple?

Nice knives BTW......get 2!  :salute:  :rofl:

Do get checked, mate  :ahhh
Carbon Opie on an apple should taste like licking an anvil and smell like a junkyard after rain ... If you can't feel it on the apple itself, lick the side of the blade after cutting the apple (not the edge if you don't want to end up like NNR)

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 03:06:59 PM
Carbon Opie on an apple should taste like licking an anvil and smell like a junkyard after rain ... If you can't feel it on the apple itself, lick the side of the blade after cutting the apple (not the edge if you don't want to end up like NNR)

thats interesting - even after the blade has developed a patina ? I've been using my carbon opinel for food prep and I haven't noticed any taste, nor have the kids.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 03:09:06 PM

thats interesting - even after the blade has developed a patina ? I've been using my carbon opinel for food prep and I haven't noticed any taste, nor have the kids.

Honestly I have heard that after getting a proper patina it should taste less, but my Opies are all nice and grey and still smell and taste.. maybe I am just oversensitive...

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 05:14:54 PM

Honestly I have heard that after getting a proper patina it should taste less, but my Opies are all nice and grey and still smell and taste.. maybe I am just oversensitive...

well, i would have said my kids are sensitive too but they seem to eat whatever i put in front of them these days. they've even stopped complaining.  :rofl:

Is maith an t-anlann an t-ocras - hunger makes great sauce 

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 10:48:29 AM
Hehe... he agreed to make a similar one in 95 mm Stainless for me for 65 USD shipped.

My first custom... sooo happy  :ahhh

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 02:01:28 PM
Hehe... he agreed to make a similar one in 95 mm Stainless for me for 65 USD shipped.

Congrats, that seems like a very reasonable price  :salute: and a catastrophic moment in your financial history....the beginning of the end!  :rofl:
No jokes, I (now) feel a bit silly about a lot of the production knives I bought, I would trade most of them for a smaller number customs and some machines to help me make my own knives.

But all part of the journey  :tu:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 02:51:26 PM
Honestly I rarely paid that much for a knife... 90 USD for a PM2 and 100 USD for a Musashi katana were by far my biggest purchases.

Now I am aiming for a SpyderInox mod soon and nothing else major-ish is planned.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 03:04:02 PM

I don't know I still think my Mora looks gimped and feels unwieldy, like a sumo wrestler with "endowment issues".
By the way, the guy said he will give me a quote for a 95 SS Lauri blade with the same materials as the 125 one... I wonder if the handle will stay the same length...?

(Image removed from quote.)

Lose the finger guard and that'd change everything  ;) Actually, I've been considering a MORA 510 for a while now.

Look at it this way, scalpels or 91mm SAK pen blades. I'm not talking about anything disproportionate, more like a handle that's 2-3cm longer than the blade, the blade being ~8cm, 10max.

:tu: :popcorn: :worthless: :D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 03:05:39 PM by firiki »

no Offline Grathr

Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 06:26:08 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Lose the finger guard and that'd change everything  ;) Actually, I've been considering a MORA 510 for a while now.

Look at it this way, scalpels or 91mm SAK pen blades. I'm not talking about anything disproportionate, more like a handle that's 2-3cm longer than the blade, the blade being ~8cm, 10max.

:tu: :popcorn: :worthless: :D

+1 :tu:
We expect pics!
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 07:07:55 PM
I'm not a fan of using my Puukko blades for food prep...because of the way they tend to wedge apart vegetables rather than slicing through. I prefer to keep a dedicated full flat grind around for camp cooking duties...or use a SAK.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 08:17:36 PM
I can see how scandi grind can be a problem with food prep but I've never used my Mora Companion for that purpose yet. I need to give it a try. I wonder how it will cope with cutting bread and meat. Hmmm...

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 09:28:38 PM
I can see how scandi grind can be a problem with food prep but I've never used my Mora Companion for that purpose yet. I need to give it a try. I wonder how it will cope with cutting bread and meat. Hmmm...

Meat no prob for my new companion but spuds are a problem.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD