Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Correct way to close Leatherman.

us Offline Wanimator

Correct way to close Leatherman.
on: February 10, 2016, 03:41:11 AM
What's the correct way to close the wings/pliers? I noticed my Rebar has developed some burnishing marks on the corners of the plier head and a lighter couple on a couple implements from what I perceive is my method of closing the tool. I understand I am being a bit obsessive, but I just had a wonder. FYI I close it by letting the open plier heads touch the tools on one side so it has enough strength to close the other wing without making a horrid popping noise and then I am forced to close the tool by pressing downward on the two sides separated by an open plier head. I did observe the head sliding on the tools when it closes.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 03:43:26 AM by Wanimator »

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Correct way to close Leatherman.
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 04:14:05 AM
a horrid popping noise

Its just a fact of life that MTs are going to make noises when you close them, and develop wear marks over time.  It may be best to realize that you cannot damage your Leatherman by closing it, and recognize that chicks absolutely love a well-used MT.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 04:25:05 AM
Powernoodle is spot on.

Keep a spare in your collection for the times when chick's want something New and Shiney.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 04:39:51 AM
I think the noise you are experiencing is the plier head sliding/catching as it closes (the heads will "push" forward if they are open when you close the handles.) - it may or may not be an issue, but I have had my Wave plier head catch on the bit exchanger or other protruding parts and give a slight gouge.

The "safest" method is probably as you do - close the plier head, let it rest in one handle, then close the other handle onto it.

With some effort, you can even close the handles without them rubbing near the pivots, but that might be far enough up the scale of "time" vs "tiny amount of wear prevented" that it's not worth it.

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 06:34:01 AM
a horrid popping noise

Its just a fact of life that MTs are going to make noises when you close them, and develop wear marks over time.  It may be best to realize that you cannot damage your Leatherman by closing it, and recognize that chicks absolutely love a well-used MT.

And maybe Leatherman needs to try and acid stonewash their stuff.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 07:28:49 AM
Powernoodle is spot on.

Keep a spare in your collection for the times when chick's want something New and Shiney.

:rofl:  Most chicks are attracted to shiny objects.

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 06:38:17 PM
Powernoodle is spot on.

Since when were Leatherman actually attractive to most females? Unless you electroplate them with gold and encrust them with diamonds of course. The Leatherman Pimp.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 11:05:20 AM
Powernoodle is spot on.

Since when were Leatherman actually attractive to most females? Unless you electroplate them with gold and encrust them with diamonds of course. The Leatherman Pimp.

It's not the look of your tool but how you use it.  :whistle:

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 05:06:10 PM
Powernoodle is spot on.

It's not the look of your tool but how you use it.  :whistle:

Well, glad I don't have to use a Micra.

ca Offline ctstannard

Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 07:40:53 AM
Powernoodle is spot on.

Even better than gold plated... http://www.notcot.com/archives/2008/08/leatherman-arge.php
Leatherman:
Charge TTI, Wave, Kick, Skeletool, Style, Brewster, Juice C2, PST II

Victorinox:
Sport, Driver, Tinker, Traveler Lite, Cybertool Lite, Swisschamp, XAVT

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 09:35:51 PM

With the exception of certain tastes and various sex workers, I would say it is a wild and sweeping statement to suggest that Females (what? Where?) are attracted to Pimps.

Also 3 out of 4 of my gal pals (that's an accurate statistic, I only have 4 friends) carry Multis.

it's 2016 Dudebro, keep up  ;)

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 11:54:21 PM
I was calling it that because that's who it would likely belong to if it was gold and encrusted with diamonds, and Leatherman gives their tools single word names sometimes.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%