Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I love napkins.

ca Offline Leathermended It!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
I love napkins.
on: February 10, 2016, 06:11:40 AM

Probably the first thing that I ever carried regularly in my pockets are napkins. I have been carrying them since I was a kid and I am a very strong believer in them. I know that a lot of the people on this forum carry handkerchiefs, but I think that napkins are a better alternative for a variety of reasons. Here are the pros and cons of napkins.

Pros:

-Disposable!
   The best thing about napkins compared to handkerchiefs is that they are disposable. I can use them for things that I just   wouldn't want to use a cloth handkerchief for. Checking motor oil, grabbing bugs, and cleaning up all manner of disgusting substances.

-They are available everywhere!
  I always take a napkin with me after a meal at home or at a restaurant. I have gotten into the routine of cycling through napkins, so I always have a fresh one in my back pocket.

-They are more water resistant than most paper
 Compared with toilet paper, they deal very well with water. They are built to hang together after being wet.

-Surprisingly durable
   Paper Napkins will last a long time in a back pocket with the occassional nose blow. You only really need to circulate them once a week.

-Can be used to write down notes
  It's not the best paper, but I'm willing to bet that some pretty earth changing information has been transferred by writing on napkins.

-Someone else is more likely to use it
  If a friend gets into a sneezing fit, they are more likely to want to use a clean napkin than a used handkerchief

-Impromptu Toilet Paper
  If you find yourself in a bathroom with no toilet paper, a couple napkins is a lot better than doing the ole' rickets walk.

-You can rip them up and make them smaller
  If you have sensitive ears and the wind is really blowing, you can ball them up and plug your ears. And you can use them to stop a nosebleed.

-You always have firestarter
  Napkins are one of the best firestarters out there, and it is a lot better than trying to light wood shavings.

Cons

-Can't be tied to head and used as a bandana
-Will come apart easier than cloth
-Can't be used for sustained underwater scrubbing

Think about it and let me know of other pros and cons.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: I love napkins.
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 06:15:04 AM
I have carried napkins in jean pockets for awhile.

Pro: If you needed a fire, you would always have some tinder.

Con: Going through the Washer. Usually they will tear into pieces and force their way everywhere, dry out, and turn into paper machae. I like to check my pockets, but accidents happen.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 06:24:31 AM
When my kids were young I always had wipes and paper towels.  I continued to carry a few paper towels but stopped for no real reason.  In my glove box tho I have a bunch of napkins.

Good post. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 01:06:50 PM
I used to go to MickyDs or BK or any fast food place so often EVERYTHING of mine would be packed with napkins, of course now that I don't drive I don't need to pack the cars, but every jacket, sweatshirt and bag is still full, and each time we go somewhere I'll pick up a few extra! I carry a hanky, but I'll use the napkin! And yes they have come in use for #2 once, while moving we were in the middle of nowhere, and I had no choice, so off I went, another time while hunting LOOOONG ago, there's no bathroom in the woods, so what are you suppose to do? Well the jacket had napkins! Heck even on the job those portolets don't always have tp! And of course all the times friends or family needs a tissue for there nose! So yeah napkins are great!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 02:28:19 PM
Lol. What a thread :D As a woman, if I have to say what I prefer seeing guys use.... definitely napkins/tissues!

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 02:47:28 PM
My wife loves napkins so much she stocks them; currently we have 3 packs in the cupboard and one pack in use.  :ahhh

Me, on the other hand, I hate them. I much prefer kitchen paper, the bachelor's friend :D I usually have one or two pieces of clean kitchen paper in my back pocket.

In my opinion, napkins are only good for the table, provided they are not tiny and thin as cigarette paper. Those are the worst...

Edit: I must say I like tissuespaper handkerchiefs, however.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:53:30 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 02:50:01 PM
Life-long sinus sufferer, now your talking EDC!  :woohoo:

I prefer the proper, multi-layer handkerchief replacements.

As far as proper cloth handkerchiefs are concerned.........they couldn't even deal with all my snot as a kid, then you have to stuff that back in your pocket....?

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 06:25:43 PM
My wife loves napkins so much she stocks them; currently we have 3 packs in the cupboard and one pack in use.  :ahhh

Me, on the other hand, I hate them. I much prefer kitchen paper, the bachelor's friend :D I usually have one or two pieces of clean kitchen paper in my back pocket.

In my opinion, napkins are only good for the table, provided they are not tiny and thin as cigarette paper. Those are the worst...

Paper towels are great. They are much tougher than napkins and are one thick sheet, rather than the thin paper folded like most napkins. I find that it is easier for me to pick up napkins at home and at restaurants, rather than remembering to tear off a paper towel.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 07:45:14 PM
I'm a paper towel man myself. I always take one or two and fold them up and stash them in my back pocket. Or Iuse one to pad the cellphone in my right front pocket. And I cn drop them in the nearest trash can if used for something I really don't want to have in my pocket. While I always have a bandana on me, it's NEVER used for what a hankie or tissue is used for. I'll put a bandana into service as a sweat band, emergency bandage, wrapper for small items found, dust mask and lots of other things. If I gotta blow my nose, I use a paper towel or napkin.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 08:31:56 PM

Paper towels are great. They are much tougher than napkins and are one thick sheet, rather than the thin paper folded like most napkins. I find that it is easier for me to pick up napkins at home and at restaurants, rather than remembering to tear off a paper towel.

I like paper towels for precisely the reasons you mentioned :tu: Also because I find it easier to fold the dirty part and keep using if needed. I had never really thought about how I EDC paper towels until now with this thread, it's something I've just been doing for years. I'll admit I'm not ashamed to help myself to some napkins from restaurants if I think they're good quality, though.

One thing that really irritates me about napkins is how I never seem to be able to take just one out of the dispenser, somehow the next ones seem to want to come along.  >:D
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 09:29:56 PM
It's funny how something like this thread calls to attention things we take for granted as "EDC".  Having a few coins at the ready as well is a good thing.  While many meters accept cards there are many that don't.  I always have coins in my vehicle for just this reason. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 12:58:01 AM
It's funny how something like this thread calls to attention things we take for granted as "EDC".  Having a few coins at the ready as well is a good thing.  While many meters accept cards there are many that don't.  I always have coins in my vehicle for just this reason.

Very true. I bet that I lot of us carry around a lot of receipts that are wasted space in our edc. Does anyone have any receipt specific uses? It's great thin, tough note paper.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 02:26:10 PM
Life-long sinus sufferer, now your talking EDC!  :woohoo:

I prefer the proper, multi-layer handkerchief replacements.

As far as proper cloth handkerchiefs are concerned.........they couldn't even deal with all my snot as a kid, then you have to stuff that back in your pocket....?

I agree- in fact, if I was to get rid of all of the napkins I hoard from restaurants I'd probably improve my fuel economy!

Well maybe that's pushing it... a little at least...

I keep lots of napkins in the truck and usually I also keep at least one tube of moist towelettes for various emergencies, cleaning the Jeep etc.

I am both a sinus sufferer (have to blow my nose a dozen or so times per day on average) and a compulsive hand washer (worked in too many restaurants in my younger days) so I have to be prepared and have backups or my neuroses will get the better of me!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline irona

I love napkins.
Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 03:05:44 AM
I use tissues the same way you use napkins. If you're willing to convert to Kleenex than I've got a recommendation for you.
I've loved carrying these tissue packet things in my back pocket, and have been using them for the past year.
Small, thin, extremely light, and I can carry something like 10 or 12 tissues at the same time without noticing them, and in a very compact and easily accessible way
Plus the package is good for storing small items that would get lost in a backpack, or stuff like spare bills.

I think these are called Kleenex Pocket Pack or something like that.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 01:17:13 PM
I'll have to see if I can find one of those.  I'm a mouth breather with an almost constantly running nose I tend to always keep a pile of napkins in the Jeep.  It might be nice to have some in my pocket too.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%