Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Myerchin Lightknife knife Captain Pro

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Myerchin Lightknife knife Captain Pro
on: February 10, 2016, 02:17:25 PM
An attempt to review my EDC knife at the moment. The Lightknife is a discontinued model by Myerchin, it became my carry since the BF300P broke.
I suppose that for the time it came out it was quite innovative to have a small led light incorporated in a rigging folder, though as years passed other knife brands explored the concept.
The Lightknife presents itself as a sturdy, hefty folder. The handles are made out of black plastic(or whatever fancy name they claim) and offer a solid handful grip. The locking blade is a big wide sheepsfoot that inspires confidence just by the look, feelings confirmed by its performances with rope of different diameters and composition. It does an excellent job and makes clean cuts without much effort, and keeps a good edge once you have sharpened it. The lock on mine is solid with a nice snap and has no play.
There are some massive groves on the bottom end of the spine, which are really grippy, they will keep your thumb there even with slick fingers; very nice to have if you ever need to put some extra strength in cutting. The spine is really thick and could be esealy batoned in extreme need. Curious fact, the spine edges are really sharp, just like Opinels knives, i am sure it would work wonders with ferro rods. The blade has a small shackle-breaker slot cast in it though, as opposed to those present on new generation Myerchins, does no double well as OHO thumbhole. This is due to the handles being too bulky and wide and the retention spring being way too strong. You can managed to have the knife opened one handed in some way, with practice, but i discourage to do so, for the hazard of having your thumb slipping and ending under the blade falling back in place is real.
The marlin spike is a massive one, a tad larger than new generation Myerchin folders, and does its job great, truly a wonderful tool. It locks open with supposedely the same hidden locking-system of the blade. My guess is that they are lockbacks but if someone knows better please tell. Anyway it feels very solid as the lock snaps.
On to the peculiarity of the knife, the small red light. It is placed on the front of the handles, and it turns on by keeping pressure on the button placed on the attaching part of the pocket clip. It works with one of those small flat batteries, accesible by removing the plastic clip's three small screws. It is said to have a certain amount of water resistance. It will turn off once preassure is released from the button. Keep in mind this small led was not conceived to be used as a torch in the dark, it was intended to give a small extra light in a dim ligh environment such as a ship/boat helm during navigation at night, really useful to read charts or the likes. The red color was used so to not affect nocturnal vision and to not alter charts essential colors.
The plastic clip keeps the knife well in your front pocket, but unfortunately i found out it is too bulky and you will end up scratching it a lot, especially if you work and move in tight spots around boats. It is really similar to those big plastic clips found on older Japan made Cold Steel folders.
Last a few words about the lock release system. As i said elsewhere Myerchin had this unique odd system to release implements locks. In brief you have to push with one hand the lanyard loop (directly pinned to the release spring leverage) strong enough to disengage the locks and with the other hand you have to fold the implement simoultaneously. That is odd and unpractical especially while swearing around a rocking boat. With some practice i have learned my own way to close the knife one hand, that is pushing the loop into my tigh to disengage while folding the blade with my hand. That is a pain and risky anyway.
Overall i say this is a serious sailor's knife with some issues, but still better than the majority of rigging knives found around.

Pros

Big effective blade
Solid quality
Small red light included

Cons

Unpractical lock-release system
Bulky unpractical pocket clip
No OHO

Inviato dal mio LG-H500 utilizzando Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1455110147924.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1455110147924.jpg (Filesize: 43.64 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1455110175270.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1455110175270.jpg (Filesize: 76.45 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1455110193932.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1455110193932.jpg (Filesize: 59.61 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1455110245918.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1455110245918.jpg (Filesize: 53.83 KB)
Antonio

it Offline SolomonKane79

Re: Myerchin Lightknife knife Captain Pro
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 04:57:09 PM
Older vs New generation Captains

uploadfromtaptalk1455119810864.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1455119810864.jpg (Filesize: 71.47 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1455119827294.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1455119827294.jpg (Filesize: 86.74 KB)
Antonio

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 05:04:16 PM
Captain vs Crew size

uploadfromtaptalk1455120255227.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1455120255227.jpg (Filesize: 86.42 KB)
Antonio

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:46:00 AM
Thanks for the write up and pics.   :cheers:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 10:18:56 PM
Nice review mate.

I've carried a Myerchin Crew in the past, and can attest to their quality and usability.

If you're after a good everyday knife, and for one reason or another need a sheepsfoot and a marlin spike, these bits of kit do not disappoint.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 10:07:47 PM
I agree - I use their Marlin Spikes and they are superb, ergonomically and in terms of quality  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%