Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge Blade Exchanger on a MUT - not a drop-in Mod

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Surge Blade Exchanger on a MUT - not a drop-in Mod
on: February 11, 2016, 06:30:29 AM
G'Day,

I recently "rescued" a MUT with the intention of modding it with a Surge Blade Exchanger where the current saw is. The write-up of the rescue is here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,64344.0.html. The parts arrived here earlier this week and had some time today to test if it will work. I have taken some pictures of the change, but have reverted back to the saw. The short answer is No, it is not a drop-in mod.  :( It is a pity as I think it will add some additional functionality and versatility to an already great tool.

The exchanger I tried is from the first edition Surge. I compared it to the newer Surge and the basic shape is the same and I think that the same problem will exist. The exchanger has a curved edge shape on the top where the MUT saw is flat. It means that the exchanger has some play in the Open position. The lock liner engages at around 170 degrees, but the exchanger still opens further to 180 degrees or flat - same as all outside opening tools. Some metal work will be needed on the exchanger to stop it from moving in the locked position. I will spend some time over the weekend in the garage and see if there is a way to add a shaped spacer to stop it from moving. I don't have any metal working skills or tools which makes it a little more tricky.

On a positive note the file will fit in the current opening if fitted upside down. A small bit sticks out but it is not intrusive at all. In fact, it helps with opening the tool. I did not try with the saw, but I think that fitting the saw upside-down may lead to some scrapes or catching pouch-lining or clothing.

I will update the thread with more info once I get this to work. In the meantime any suggestion of making this work will be very welcome.

And the pics...
The first set is of the blade exchanger loose and loosely fitted.

Cheers,

Pete
IMGP2516.JPG
* IMGP2516.JPG (Filesize: 111.41 KB)
IMGP2525.JPG
* IMGP2525.JPG (Filesize: 128.9 KB)
IMGP2527.JPG
* IMGP2527.JPG (Filesize: 110.44 KB)
IMGP2528.JPG
* IMGP2528.JPG (Filesize: 113.08 KB)

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Re: Surge Blade Exchanger on a MUT - not a drop-in Mod
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 06:33:10 AM
Play in the locked position.
IMGP2529.JPG
* IMGP2529.JPG (Filesize: 124.16 KB)
IMGP2530.JPG
* IMGP2530.JPG (Filesize: 124.56 KB)
IMGP2531.JPG
* IMGP2531.JPG (Filesize: 104.98 KB)
IMGP2539.JPG
* IMGP2539.JPG (Filesize: 116.76 KB)

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 06:34:46 AM
File fitted
IMGP2532.JPG
* IMGP2532.JPG (Filesize: 123.09 KB)
IMGP2533.JPG
* IMGP2533.JPG (Filesize: 136.2 KB)
IMGP2534.JPG
* IMGP2534.JPG (Filesize: 126.53 KB)
IMGP2535.JPG
* IMGP2535.JPG (Filesize: 117.94 KB)

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 03:55:26 PM
I have a thought! Could you use the Mut blade you are removing and make a new blade exchanger so it would lock and not have play? Or will the blade exchanger cover not slide over the mut blade? I know you said you have limited skills when it comes to metal work, but it might give you a reason to buy a new toy! Dremel Tools are a modders best friend! :pok:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 05:08:39 PM
It might be my inner redneck showing but I believe you could add a spot of JB Weld to the back of the main half of the exchanger? Then sand it down to the correct angle and size needed.

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 06:46:47 PM
It might be my inner redneck showing but I believe you could add a spot of JB Weld to the back of the main half of the exchanger? Then sand it down to the correct angle and size needed.

It might be worth a shot, but in my experience, when working with JB Weld, it tends to be very brittle when it is that thin. You would have to sand/file the area so thin where it attaches to the blade exchanger, I think it would break apart.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 03:54:47 AM
I have a thought! Could you use the Mut blade you are removing and make a new blade exchanger so it would lock and not have play? Or will the blade exchanger cover not slide over the mut blade? I know you said you have limited skills when it comes to metal work, but it might give you a reason to buy a new toy! Dremel Tools are a modders best friend! :pok:

G'Day jlwatso1,

I never thought of that. Unfortunately the saw is thicker than the exchanger bit and will bend the cover if forced over it. I do have a dremel but prefer to work with hand tools for these tasks. One can probably sand the side down a little to get to the correct thickness and work from there. I will have a look over the weekend.

I thought of that, but I also don't think that it will hold, there is only a small amount of metal for it to bond too, I will not trust that to hold up against prolonged pressure. I think that jlwatso1 is right, it will break apart.

I also had a look at where the bronze scraper fits. The pivot hole is bigger on the scraper but again the exchanger will over extend. So back to the drawing board it goes!!!

Cheers,

Pete

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 05:08:06 AM

G'Day jlwatso1,

I never thought of that. Unfortunately the saw is thicker than the exchanger bit and will bend the cover if forced over it. I do have a dremel but prefer to work with hand tools for these tasks. One can probably sand the side down a little to get to the correct thickness and work from there. I will have a look over the weekend.

Yah! If you have a belt sander (or file if you prefer), I'm sure you could get the correct thickness. Just enough for a tight fit. I would suggest doing this before removing any of the blade so you have a handle to hold/clamp. Looking forward to what you come up with!  :tu:

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 07:40:58 PM
Any updates Pete?

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 05:32:02 AM
Any updates Pete?

Nope unfortunately not. I am waiting for a spare saw and Surge scissors that should be here in about three weeks time. My plan is to sand the saw down to the correct thickness, as you suggested, and then shape it into the bit that holds the saw / file. I will do some planning over the next few days.

I am also going to see if the Surge scissors will fit in where the current saw is. Eyeing it out looks like it will fit, the pivot hole is the correct size too. I will have to sand some of the bits to enable the scissors to lock when it is open. The scissors does not have the "gap" on the top that allows it to open more than 180 degrees so it may be an easier mod... ???

I'll update the post as I go along.

I did manage to make a new leather sheath for it. Tested it today and works like a charm.

Cheers,

Pete

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 05:37:56 AM
Any updates Pete?

Nope unfortunately not. I am waiting for a spare saw and Surge scissors that should be here in about three weeks time. My plan is to sand the saw down to the correct thickness, as you suggested, and then shape it into the bit that holds the saw / file. I will do some planning over the next few days.

I am also going to see if the Surge scissors will fit in where the current saw is. Eyeing it out looks like it will fit, the pivot hole is the correct size too. I will have to sand some of the bits to enable the scissors to lock when it is open. The scissors does not have the "gap" on the top that allows it to open more than 180 degrees so it may be an easier mod... ???

I'll update the post as I go along.

I did manage to make a new leather sheath for it. Tested it today and works like a charm.

Cheers,

Pete

Sweet! Personally, I use my scissors on my Surge more than the file or saw, but I will admit I still would like to see how the blade exchanger turns out. Either way, I look forward to your posts! :salute: Take a couple pics of that sheath too! :pok:

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 07:02:11 AM
Sweet! Personally, I use my scissors on my Surge more than the file or saw, but I will admit I still would like to see how the blade exchanger turns out. Either way, I look forward to your posts! :salute: Take a couple pics of that sheath too! :pok:

I use a scissors often too and then a file, mainly for rogue bits on nails... I will be very happy if the scissors can be made to fit. It is the best LM multi scissors other than the Micra type tools IMHO.

Ask and you will receive!!!  ;)

Cheers,

Pete
IMGP2540.JPG
* IMGP2540.JPG (Filesize: 107.28 KB)
IMGP2542.JPG
* IMGP2542.JPG (Filesize: 102.88 KB)
IMGP2543.JPG
* IMGP2543.JPG (Filesize: 139.43 KB)
IMGP2545.JPG
* IMGP2545.JPG (Filesize: 119.04 KB)

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 11:28:47 AM

I use a scissors often too and then a file, mainly for rogue bits on nails... I will be very happy if the scissors can be made to fit. It is the best LM multi scissors other than the Micra type tools IMHO.

Ask and you will receive!!!  ;)

Cheers,

Pete

Nicely done!

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 07:47:10 AM
All the spares will be posted over the weekend. It should be in Oz in about two weeks and the fun can begin.

Cheers,

Pete

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69