Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why does the MPT have such a bad reputation?

gdc · 14 · 2924

Offline gdc

Why does the MPT have such a bad reputation?
on: February 15, 2016, 01:35:11 AM
Hi all:

Just out of curiosity, I picked up a couple of MPT's on eBay.  The first was NIB that I got as an addition to a collection--not for use, just as an interesting side note in multi tool history.  I played with the tool a bit and it seemed very solid.  So...I bought another one, lightly used, to see if I liked it as a user.  Having carried the MPT for a while, I am somewhat baffled that this tool is so reviled.  It is, as many have noted, a large knock-off of the Leatherman PST, but the rolled edges on the handles are pretty nice and the larger size is handy for those of us with plus-sized hands.  For the $22 that I paid for my user (including shipping), I'd say this is a great tool.  The blade appears to be of very similar steel as my MP600 and MP 400 (older ones).  The picture is from the eBay listing--before I got it and cleaned it up.  Compared to my Leatherman PST, I'd say the overall manufacturing is at a somewhat lower level but the large plier head in a fairly light and compact package is pretty nice. 

The only negative with the tool is that the blades don't lock and the slipjoint spring created integral to the handles is a bit weak.  But, the form of the butterfly design is such that the tools cannot collapse on your fingers, so its not really a big deal from a safety standpoint.

The screwdrivers are very short, as I have also seen noted, but they are functional and not much shorter than on my older MP600.

I really like the old design for the awl/utility blade on these old Gerbers--its a nice size for cutting string, opening boxes, etc.  I got a nice edge on it quite easily. 

I have read that production quality was really low, and perhaps I just happen to have purchased two that are better than average...but I'd have to give this tool a pretty high rating for functionality in a basic tool.  Granted, the basic model MP600 is better overall tool--better quality, tighter tolerances, etc. but for a more basic tool that has a large pair of pliers with long handles for good leverage, the MPT is not bad. 

Not trying to convince anyone--just intrigued by the fact that this tool is so unloved.

Cheers,

oldgerber2.jpg
* oldgerber2.jpg (Filesize: 11.69 KB)

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Why does the MPT have such a bad reputation?
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 03:55:37 AM
Mostly because its old school MT.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 04:05:27 AM
I want one, so reputation isn't everything!
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 04:23:24 AM
Count me in for the MPT.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline David

Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 04:34:17 AM
Some of my MPT's are here.
Hold Fast

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 06:07:10 AM
Nothing wrong with the MPT in my book. It's old-school cool. Every now and then I carry and use mine. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline David

Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 06:21:27 AM
Nothing wrong with the MPT in my book. It's old-school cool. Every now and then I carry and use mine. :tu:

Agreed! I dont use mine much. But I do like to get them out and be nostalgic for a bit.      :D
Hold Fast

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 09:42:09 PM
I've got a couple of them and although I can't remember the last time I got them out  :facepalm: I do remember wondering why they were so disliked.
As I recall they do seem to be long and somewhat crude.....but perfectly functional......and did I mention the AWL!!  :o

The pattern effect pouches feel a little cheap and nasty especially if compared to sumptuous offerings from the likes of SOG  :drool: but the tool is again perfectly adequate to be used.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:44:49 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

england Offline macabee

Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 10:25:03 AM
I've got a couple of them and although I can't remember the last time I got them out  :facepalm: I do remember wondering why they were so disliked.
As I recall they do seem to be long and somewhat crude.....but perfectly functional......and did I mention the AWL!!  :o

The pattern effect pouches feel a little cheap and nasty especially if compared to sumptuous offerings from the likes of SOG  :drool: but the tool is again perfectly adequate to be used.

I agree the MPT is a totally functional tool, without any superfluous 'bit's'. The awl is an excellent tool, very good as a box cutter.

I must admit that I find the Leatherman PST/PSTII, which is a near comparison a better manufactured MT.

Whilst I do like the MPT, mostly as a historical MT it's overall quality IMHO is inferior to the later Multi-lock / MP600
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 04:36:30 AM
I have been really digging this historical MTs lately :o I really love the old school feel of the PST and original Supertool so these have a very good appeal to me :drool: :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 09:53:25 AM
I had one...

My issue was the amount of flex in the handles,just couldn't live with that
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 01:21:36 PM
Do not get a Gerber Radius then.  :o  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 10:25:51 PM
My biggest complaint with the MPT is that I need to open the blade and awl in order to have any hope of reaching the large flat driver.  Which seems pretty unsafe. 

Also, the file on mine is EXCELLENT (why did Gerber stop having three sided files?) but has no washer and just grinds against the curved handle.  It has cut deep grooves into the little rolled edge thing.

It is better than most PST knockoffs, not as good as a PST though.  Not even close.  Though like I said, the file is amazing, and the awl is unique.

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 01:43:30 PM
I really like the MPT, though i agree on the fact that it is inferior to the PST. The awl implement is great indeed. For 20$ it is one of the most robust you can get, i think. The "vintage" design is just fascinating!

Inviato dal mio LG-H500 utilizzando Tapatalk

Antonio

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69