Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox military pouch / sheath opinions about it?

nl Offline anditsgone

Victorinox military pouch / sheath opinions about it?
on: February 18, 2016, 08:01:21 PM
Does anyone have and use the Victorinox military pouch that is offered with the black oxide spirit? From my knowing it is available in two different sizes, 110 and 130 mm.

I am very curious how your sheath is holding up, what you like and what you dislike. From what i can see i am not really fond of using only Velcro on the molle attachment. I would add a snap button to that.

I am also curious which version you have and if fits the regular Swisstool neatly. Pictures would also be nice.

I can buy one for 18 euro and might buy one. I couldn't find a thing about it on the web so i thought let's ask you guys.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 42.1 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 51.59 KB)

at Offline Daark

Re: Victorinox military pouch / sheath opinions about it?
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 08:16:05 PM
I use the 111mm version for the Soldatenmesser 08. Altough I like the general design, the belt loop is not qht I would consider a fine solution. While it does it's job, wearing this on a belt is quite instable. (it wobbles around) but the velcro does not open. You can also mount it along the belt (90° twisted) if you wear a normal trouser belt.
The swisstool will fit, but being heavier than the Soldatenmesser, I can just assume it is even more uncomfortable to wear than with a designated swisstool pouch.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 08:30:38 PM
I own both, and the one that came with the BO Spirit is also the best for the Swisstool in my opinion, the other one is too big for it (and the one that comes with the BO Spirit feels a bit too big for the Spirit).  When I put the Swisstool in the BO Spirit pouch, it fits like a glove, and when I put it in the bigger pouch, it wobbles too much, and the velcro patches don't match, when you close the flap, the velcro on the flap only touches 2/3 the velcro patch on the sheath, while the other 1/3 is hanging too low.  I hope this makes sense ...  :think:

About the sheath itself, it hasn't failed me yet, but I do trust the leather or vinyl VIC sheaths a lot more than this one, this one feels "flimsy".

I'll try and post some pics later this evening  ;).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:31:55 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 08:34:09 PM
I have one that came with my BO Spirit. Didn't realize there was more than one size...

I find it too big for the Spirit and just right for the Swiss Tool. I don't carry a 111, so I've never tried it in the pouch.

Personally, I do not like the belt attachment at all. It's too flimsy/loose and slides all over when carried vertically (which I prefer). I have a custom leather pouch that I prefer to use as it stays put on a leather belt (and blends in better than OD green).

I am also not a huge fan of velcro and prefer a snap closure.

Overall, this sheath is not for me and sits in a drawer unused.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 08:40:03 PM
Thank you guys for your replies, i don't use the sheath everday. Only about 10 times a year at my holiday work, but i can also remember then leatherman nylon sheath sitting too loose on my belt and keep moving as i walk.

Top-gear 24, is it possible to post some pictures of the belt strap? Maybe there is a way we can find a solution with a snap button to make the belt loop fit tighter around the belt.

I am really curious on how you describe the sheath as flimsy? Do you mean the thin leather like material that is used or just the overall fit and finish or the belt loop?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 09:09:14 PM
It feels flimsy since the "leather" is very thin and not double stitched on the back, where the belt loop is attached to the top of the sheath, it just feels as if one small cut could tear open the whole pouch.  Like I said, it hasn't failed me yet, but I also haven't used it much, I prefer the normal Leather sheath or the nylon sheath that comes with the Swisstool in the U.S. (nylon sheath with snap button, made in Mexico).

These are "older" pics, maybe they show you what you need to know, if not, let me know what you need and I'll try and take some new pics.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 09:26:10 PM
It feels flimsy since the "leather" is very thin and not double stitched on the back, where the belt loop is attached to the top of the sheath, it just feels as if one small cut could tear open the whole pouch.  Like I said, it hasn't failed me yet, but I also haven't used it much, I prefer the normal Leather sheath or the nylon sheath that comes with the Swisstool in the U.S. (nylon sheath with snap button, made in Mexico).

These are "older" pics, maybe they show you what you need to know, if not, let me know what you need and I'll try and take some new pics.

Yeah, it is probably better to just stick with the pouch that came with my Swisstool. It fits very nice, is from decent quality and pretty durable. I also like the pouches with snap buttons instead of velcro. A snap button lasts 20 years and velcro only one. Also a con of the military style pouches is that they look bulky as is noted regulary with the Leatherman molle pouches.

I still find it a beautiful sheath though. If i can ever pick it up for a couple of euros i will definitely do it.

Thank you guys for the info and pictures  :tu:

image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 133.65 KB)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:30:21 PM by anditsgone »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 09:27:34 PM
I have several but have never carried them. The material is heavy vinyl-like stuff that reminds me of some of the East German gear. It has a simple MOLLE setup on the back. Seems sturdy enough but nothing like a military nylon sheath by Leatherman.

I took pics but can't upload right now...net's slow.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31