Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MSR Whisperlite International serviced.

Aloha · 16 · 2909

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
MSR Whisperlite International serviced.
on: February 19, 2016, 12:32:40 AM
If you don't have one of these stoves and you run across one cheap GET IT.  I was having some trouble with mine last camping trip.  They are pretty simple so figuring out the issues are easy.  Mine was sputtering and not staying lit. 

Today I cleaned out the fuel line and jet.  I also replaced some O-rings on the pump.  I got everything squared away and she lit right up. 

Now time to do some maintenance on my Colemans. 
IMG_0233 copy.jpg
* IMG_0233 copy.jpg (Filesize: 182.06 KB)
IMG_0234 copy.jpg
* IMG_0234 copy.jpg (Filesize: 229.68 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: MSR Whisperlite International serviced.
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 02:04:14 AM
I don't have one, but I have used a friend's.  Great stoves, though as you say they do need taking care of.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 06:31:52 AM
They are a really good stove.  I packed it up last camping trip and didn't think twice about it.  I was annoyed at myself for not tending to it but I had my Coleman and others.  I'm glad to have it back up and running.  I look for well used ones when I'm at the flea markets.  I'm stoked when I find one so I can part it out if need be. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 04:18:00 AM
I've had one if these for years.  Havent used it in a very king time so I'm sure it could use a tune up.  This thread might just get me to break it out this spring.  Thanks!

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 05:20:51 AM
I have one. Always run it on Shellite (white gas I believe is a more generic term?)
Never had any issues with it, trick is to put enough in the priming cup without over flow and creating a big fireball when lighting. gets a bit sooty. Mine has the shaker needle to prevent the jet from clogging.
They boil water fast but I have never been able to simmer well with mine

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 09:17:59 AM
i've got one, haven't used it in a few years - haven't been camping in a few years  :( :( :(

must dig it out and fire it up/service it
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 03:40:45 PM
Glad to hear you guy will get this great stove out and fire it up.  I also use white gas tho mine is capable of using kerosene and unleaded auto fuel as well.  Mine is a bit older so no shaker needle for me but those twist ties that come on bread work good.  Just peel away the coating and the thin gauge wire is usable.   

Simmering is not something these stoves excel at  :D.  Using a tripod over top sure helps when you don't want to scorch whatever it is you're cooking.  They don't pack away very small but I have a micro stove and isobutane for when I want to go really small. 

No need to camp guys to break it out.  Take a picnic and boil some noodles or heat some soup.  It's also a great way to work out any kinks for when you do get out. 

I love taking gear picnicking to "test".  Nice way to get to know your stuff. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 12:44:25 AM

Great little stove  :tu:  Mine is about 15 years old and still works like new. Very reliable. Close to perfect IMO. It would be perfect if not for the initial fire ball which scares newbies but that comes with the design.

Good tip on taking it on picnics Aloha  :cheers:

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 01:50:38 AM
Longtime Whisperlite user here. Mine is an original white gas model that I later converted to shakerjet. Not that I've ever had the clean the jet much in the original configuration...more important with multifuel models burning dirtier fuels. I've also got a pair of Rapidfire stoves...MSR's first canister stove and the only US made one I believe - MSR Rapidfire
ilsa_ring09.jpg
* ilsa_ring09.jpg (Filesize: 35.79 KB)

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 06:12:56 PM
ok, this thread inspired me to dig mine out and test it -

it's got to be 17 odd years old and still going strong !

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 01:05:49 AM
It'll last another 17 as well.   :tu:

Great little stove  :tu:  Mine is about 15 years old and still works like new. Very reliable. Close to perfect IMO. It would be perfect if not for the initial fire ball which scares newbies but that comes with the design.

I find opportunities to test all sorts of gear.  One doesn't need to plan long overnighter or treks across continents.  Get your gear out and have a play.  Better to work out any issues in a casual environment.
Esse Quam Videri

Offline jacobmdvashon

• New User
Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 05:31:59 AM
I have used these stoves for years. Never had an issue I could not fix in the field. Always carry a few replacement parts like a nozzle and pump gaskets.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 06:29:37 AM
I have used these stoves for years. Never had an issue I could not fix in the field. Always carry a few replacement parts like a nozzle and pump gaskets.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I see used ones at flea markets and buy them for parts myself.  Same with my Coleman stoves. 
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 09:20:52 AM
It'll last another 17 as well.   :tu:

I find opportunities to test all sorts of gear.  One doesn't need to plan long overnighter or treks across continents.  Get your gear out and have a play.  Better to work out any issues in a casual environment.

yup, great sentiment - as an instructor of mine used to say years ago, "get to know your equipment before it gets to know you"

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 09:55:27 PM
I have one. Always run it on Shellite (white gas I believe is a more generic term?)
Never had any issues with it, trick is to put enough in the priming cup without over flow and creating a big fireball when lighting. gets a bit sooty. Mine has the shaker needle to prevent the jet from clogging.

Simmering is much better with these stoves under these two conditions:
1...Have a fuel container attached that is half empty or more. More space then for the compressive air.
2...Don't pump the stove as much as you pump when trying to boil. It's amazing how long they will run on just 3 pumps, when the flame is set low.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 07:34:43 AM

Simmering is much better with these stoves under these two conditions:
1...Have a fuel container attached that is half empty or more. More space then for the compressive air.
2...Don't pump the stove as much as you pump when trying to boil. It's amazing how long they will run on just 3 pumps, when the flame is set low.

Good tips there, Neill,  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD