Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dawdling with Demel

Demel · 345 · 18060

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Dawdling with Demel
on: February 21, 2016, 07:18:59 AM
It has been over a year since joining this forum (the only one I participate in btw) and it has been  time well spent. So many good people, a lot of knowledge shared, generosity that is far too uncommon in our day, innovative ideas, and of course a mountain of tools. I greatly appreciat all the folks here. Thanks for making this a great place.

I figure I have been around enough to start my own thread! It's easier for me to be able to have one place I can go to to share thoughts, ideas, questions, reviews, etc...it doesn't mean I won't be in other threads, I just don't want to start a new thread just to say, "this tool sucks" or "this one isn't so bad." So I will post the majority of my wanderings here.

I thought it would be good to trace a line from the beginning to now: I was first introduced to multis by a co worker who carried a Powerassist.  I thought it nice but nothing more. In March 2014 my son was born 12 weeks premature. Needless to say we spent a lot of time sitting in the hospital. Watching, praying, waiting for him to come home.

One of the things I did to occupy my brain was investigate this idea of a multi purpose tool.  After months of reading articles, threads on this site, and buying a few toys myself, I eventually joined the team the following January. This was the first picture I posted:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Despite the crappy I enjoyed my small but growing collection which consisted of a Zilla tool, Supertool 300, Tinker, and a Wingman. Little did I know, the more time someone spends on this site the thinner your wallet gets. Now after many post, questions, sales, purchases, laughs and experimentation, this is my collection today:

As you can see, it has grown. Above is a mix of tools, knives, utility knives, and a few lights. I have a very personal system in place (more on that another day) that has led me to let go of some very good tools. Note: all my tools are users. Shelf queens are nice but I buy to use. If I can't use it or it doesn't work out I move it on. Overall I am very proud of what I have. During this thread I will elaborate more on why I choose the tools I do, mini reviews on some and overall thoughts on tools, life, and adventure.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:31:02 AM by Demel »
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Dawdling with Demel
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 02:48:49 PM
As you can see, it has grown. Above is a mix of tools, knives, utility knives, and a few lights. I have a very personal system in place (more on that another day) that has led me to let go of some very good tools. Note: all my tools are users. Shelf queens are nice but I buy to use. If I can't use it or it doesn't work out I move it on. Overall I am very proud of what I have. During this thread I will elaborate more on why I choose the tools I do, mini reviews on some and overall thoughts on tools, life, and adventure.
At first, second and third glance I thought this thread was about how you couldnt stop wasting time playing with a Dremel Tool :facepalm:

Nice tool progression. I like (and follow) your philosophy of "use it or lose it" for deciding to keep tools. Whats your motivation? Money? The desire to try other tools? Nagging wife? :) :pok:

I noticed that none of your initial tools stayed with you, correct?

I really should show Mrs. sLaughter these threads... she thinks I have too many tools, but they dont even fill a cigar box! :rofl:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 03:53:45 PM
 :popcorn: love these type posts.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 08:04:45 PM
Thanks and yes you are right. I don't have any of my originals. I have tried a lot of tools over the last year. I kept some because of their unique design, but for me I simply like carrying the tools I have. For every full size multi I have a corresponding folder to compliment it. Spirit + sentinel. Rebar + crater. Powerlock + vulcan. Diesel + obsidian. Those are my working tools. For weekend or casual carry it's the switchplier, skeletool, octane, and explorer. My key chain system is very simple: I need a toothpick. That's where the style, signature, and crosscut come into play.

There are a few odd balls. The dime is good for needing a lot of capability in a small package. My off brands kind of spread the spectrum. They get carried but more for casual use. The maglite is my work light, the t10t is for outside work, and the e01, stays on my keys.

All that to say if there is a tool that doesn't fit this system I will pass on it. I sold my powerduo because I would always go for the switchplier. Sold the Wingman because I would rather carry the skeletool. I have enjoyed learning the ins and outs of ways on the market. And most of all I learned that there are good tools out there, they just are not for me. I hope that answers your question
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:40:36 PM by Poncho65 »
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 08:24:26 PM
Yep you did. Did you go out of your way to match the brands of your folder/multitool combos, or is there something more in depth here that im missing?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:41:09 PM by Poncho65 »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:27:20 PM
Yep. Did you go out of your way to match the brands of your folder/multitool combos, or is there something more in depth here that im missing?
Yes I purposely wanted to pair tools in the same brand. No reason behind it, just because :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:31:54 PM by Demel »

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 08:37:53 PM
One tool I do regret giving away was the Zilla Jr. I didn't like the fact it had uncommon bits. But now I wish I still had it. The full size Zilla used standard bits but was very bulky. Honestly I will probably get one again despite it's flaws.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 06:38:07 AM
This little gem surprised me the most
I had been interested in checking out the octane for some time but after it was discontinued by Gerber it became really difficult to find. On a random search came across this one. Long story short I  won this on an eBay auction for $25.01.

Getting this in hand made me question why get rid of it? Quick pliers, outside access blade, very basic tool set which in turn makes it really slim and light, and it has a package opener. Overall I don't understand why this tool isn't more popular. I'm lucky to have gotten one in good condition at a reasonable price. Couldn't have been more surprised by this one.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 06:43:01 AM by Demel »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 01:11:22 PM
Is your son ok?  :tu:

Great post btw - always interesting to read what others have to say, and I agree with your thoughts about the forum. This is the only one I contribute to now. So friendly and fun. Except firiki.  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 01:30:26 PM
Utility knives..  :drool:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 03:21:20 PM
Yes he is good, thanks for asking. He will be turning two next month. Despite he struggles, he has grown to where he is suppose to be.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 04:44:37 PM
Yes he is good, thanks for asking. He will be turning two next month. Despite he struggles, he has grown to where he is suppose to be.
Brilliant!  :salute: 2 is such a fun age.  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 09:10:03 AM

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 09:11:03 AM
Brilliant!  :salute: 2 is such a fun age.  :tu:

+1   :tu:   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 01:38:05 AM
Today's carry

I really have been enjoying the maglite for work carry. It's a great area light and sheath carrying makes it easily accessible

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 01:50:44 AM
Speaking of: let's talk about sheath carry for a moment. When I first joined here I was a pocket carry only type. I wanted a pocket clip on everything! But I noticed that changing, specifically when I got a Spirit. :drool: the spirit is lightweight and compact. Therefore, when carried in a sheath it wasn't even noticeable. Now for all my full-size tools I carry in a sheath. Wave, rebar, spirit, diesel, powerlock (although I want the leather one instead of nylon) I may be one of the few that does not want a pocket clip on the spirit :shrug: I still prefer pocket carry but only when I am off work. I pocket the skeletool, explorer, octane, switchplier, etc.... It's really amazing to have seen my preferences evolve over time.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 02:04:45 AM
Part of the fun is trying new ways to do things we've done for years.  It's not so much that the way we did them isn't working its about playing with ideas.  I have always been a sheath guy tho when it came to carrying my lights I always pocket carried them.  I find myself now using sheaths for certain lights so long as I don't have several on my belt. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 02:07:56 AM
Part of the fun is trying new ways to do things we've done for years.  It's not so much that the way we did them isn't working its about playing with ideas.  I have always been a sheath guy tho when it came to carrying my lights I always pocket carried them.  I find myself now using sheaths for certain lights so long as I don't have several on my belt.
Agreed. The ease of access is what spoiled me. Especially using this maglite for awhile. What lights do you carry?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 02:10:13 AM
I was carrying my Fenix PD32 in the sheath it came with ( now up on the trading block ).  I have a Leatherman molle sheath that I use for my Thrunite T10 and a SAK.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 11:46:11 PM
I was carrying my Fenix PD32 in the sheath it came with ( now up on the trading block ).  I have a Leatherman molle sheath that I use for my Thrunite T10 and a SAK.   
A t10 and a sak pairs up nicely. Which molle fits both? I use my t10 daily

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 11:47:55 PM
Thought I'd switch it up today. The tenacious :drool: such a good knife

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 01:28:04 AM
From Facebook:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 05:25:29 AM
This was my carry on Friday.
It's always interesting to me to carry non popular tools. This particular carry involved the outu branded multi tool that has decent pliers and very good scissors. I really have grown accustomed to a dedicated oho knife so pairing it with the cryo seemed like a good choice. The light is a two AA light from Energizer for less than $20. It's not as good as my mini maglite but it got the job done. At work I carry an 11 in 1 screwdriver, so combine that with this setup worked really well and overall very light. I can say that I have enjoyed trying different combinations in the last couple weeks and finding some really good setups. This may be one that sticks. We'll see. 

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 04:10:26 AM
SOG has been appealing to me more and more lately. After the Power Challenge I had more appreciation for the Powerlock, and my newly acquired mini vulcan :drool: has earned it's place in rotation. The powerlock offers oho pliers and a very full tool set. Paired up with the vulcan for a oho knife and crosscut to fill in the gaps = almost perfectly balanced carry. I was looking at adding a dark energy to complete the "sog set" but I haven't had enough reason to. The maglite is really hard to beat for a work light. Overall it is a setup I really do enjoy carrying. Are there better tools in the market? Of course. But time again I find myself reaching for SOG.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:12:50 AM by Demel »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 04:08:58 PM
A t10 and a sak pairs up nicely. Which molle fits both? I use my t10 daily

Late response but I fit both my Explorer/Deluxe Tinker and T10 nicely in the LM Molle sheath for the Wave/Charge.  If you don't mind tools bumping against each other.  I personally have no problem with it.  There is another style of Molle Sheath LM offered that is boxy as compared to the one I'm speaking about above. 

In that sheath I can easily fit my JPST, T10, and a Lighter or thin SAK ( Executive, Classic, Cadet ).  I'll take a pic and show the differences of the two sheaths.   
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:43:33 PM by Poncho65 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 04:28:28 PM
Nice thread! How are you liking the Vulcan?

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 04:51:33 PM
Nice thread! How are you liking the Vulcan?

That's us mobile
Thanks. It's one of the best knives I have and the most expensive. I normally like a balanced knife but the vulcan opens smoothly and has such a good feel to it. Seeing your pics of the pair did help with my decision.

PS. How have you been? It's good to see you back!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:53:34 PM by Demel »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 04:54:55 PM
Cool beans! I love mine. One of the best folders that I ever held and used. Sorry about spreading that SOG infection. LOL!

Thanks! Being doing ok. Life just sometimes get in the way and have been very busy.
That's us mobile
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:56:50 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 02:31:33 AM
So as you can see I have 2 different Molle sheaths from LM.  The one on the left is the one that actually has more space to accommodate several items I like to carry.

The second pic is my JPST,T10,Cadet, and lighter.
Third pic shows my T10, Explorer, and lighter
Last pic is my Swisschamp and T10.

It all fits decently and frees up pocket space.  I typically carry my JPST, T10 then I'll add my Executive or Classic. 

I have carried my Swisschamp and smaller AAA light as well.
IMG_0392 copy.jpg
* IMG_0392 copy.jpg (Filesize: 126.2 KB)
IMG_0393 copy.jpg
* IMG_0393 copy.jpg (Filesize: 123.83 KB)
IMG_0394 copy.jpg
* IMG_0394 copy.jpg (Filesize: 124.31 KB)
IMG_0395 copy.jpg
* IMG_0395 copy.jpg (Filesize: 120.98 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 03:40:20 AM
I can see why you like them so much. It's versatile in ways a dedicated sheath wouldn't help. I especially like that swisschamp and t10 combo. Do you belt carry them or attach them to a bag?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%