Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dawdling with Demel

Demel · 345 · 18136

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Re: Dawdling with Demel
Reply #30 on: March 09, 2016, 04:10:47 AM
Today I carried the diesel and obsidian. It's another set I enjoy carrying. The diesel is one of Gerber's best multis imo. I had to put the plier head in wd40 (I know not the best choice) to loosen it up to mp600 quality. Other than that it's a great tool. Just like the Wave however I wish it had  an awl. The obsidian is a good knife if you don't need a knife that's pretty and ready to work.

It has a neat feature as well. The big button is the main locking mechanism and the smaller one functions as a secondary lock. Slide the small one down to open the knife. Once opened the main lock engages. What I found out, if you slide the small button up after opening it prevents the main lock from releasing. I was happy about this because I didn't want to accidentally push the button while using the blade and it folding one me. Good job Gerber. I used the extra drivers a couple times but I see them more as backups.

Anyways. If you haven't gotten a Diesel, get it. Or some version of Gerber's MP series. They really are great tools.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 06:25:11 AM
I can see why you like them so much. It's versatile in ways a dedicated sheath wouldn't help. I especially like that swisschamp and t10 combo. Do you belt carry them or attach them to a bag?

I belt carry. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 03:10:51 PM
So far on my new job (electrician, 3 weeks in) I've encountered two other mt users. One a Wingman the other a Diesel. Really thought I'd see more working the trades.

Weight has become a big concern for me now. Snagged a pair of Knipex Cobra pliers yesterday. 7 3/4 in. Super lightweight. Can't wait to try them out.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 12, 2016, 04:11:54 PM

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: March 29, 2016, 11:52:19 PM

Now what could be in here......

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: March 30, 2016, 12:02:21 AM

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh MINI :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Well I have finally acquired a Mini. And I must say it is a great piece of engineering. The Explorer is a great sak and I wanted to pair it with pliers BUT I don't like duplicating tools if I don't have too. Then it hit me....the mini. Now they are discontinued (as everyone knows) but there are a few floating around on eBay. I got this gem just under $50. It's hard to fathom how compact the pliers fold down to. Yet they open up to a full set of pliers.

Taking a page from Aloha, I decided the best way for me to carry them both would be in one sheath. Added the e01 in the side pocket, and this standard nylon sheath turned into mini pouch of sorts. Believe it or not it was still really light. More pictures later. Got more carrying to do.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #36 on: March 30, 2016, 03:49:32 AM
Cool thread man :tu:  I too really enjoy the Diesel, and the MP600 Pro Scout is great too. 

You haven't mentioned it in this thread yet, but I hope you get your hands on a Signal at some point.  I'd be interested in your thoughts on it.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: March 30, 2016, 04:51:42 PM
Me too. I'm working on getting the retired tools first then the newer ones. Soon.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #38 on: March 30, 2016, 05:01:10 PM
Cool :tu:

K-Tibbs

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: March 31, 2016, 01:39:54 AM
What a terrific trio  :tu:.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: April 02, 2016, 03:05:31 AM
Today's carry. It's been a while since I've carried the Spirit. Such a great tool. My birthday landed on Father's day last year and this was one of my gifts. I got the Spirit X and paired with a serrated Sentinel and t10t = awesomeness

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: April 08, 2016, 11:24:39 PM
Carried Mr Rebar and a retired Leatherman knife. :drool: more thoughts on that later

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: April 09, 2016, 12:40:48 AM
Leatherman. The pioneers of multi tools as we know it. An icon of a generation. My first Leatherman was a wingman. It seemed like a good tool to me. So good it led me to get a Super Tool 300, followed by others. In joining this forum I noticed that the newer tools that Leatherman released were liked by many with the notable disclaimer: "they are good, not as good as the retired tools." I didn't understand because I've only had the newer tools. Well over the last few weeks I've been on a hunt for these classic gems. My acquisitions have included pst 2, pulse, mini, micra, og wave, and a few others. After some time spent with these retired soldiers I have come to my conclusion. I get it now. The original Leathermans were extremely compact and lightweight. Even the original wave feels superb to carry. The designs are simple, yet effective. Even the sheaths are made 100x better. I understand good business comes with making decisions to stay profitable and cutting cost where necessary. BUT I do feel that after experiencing these quality tools and sheaths, it ruins me to use the new ones. Leatherman still makes good tools. I like the rebar, new wave, skeletool, style, so on and so on. My favorite old school LM at the moment is probably the original wave. all it needs is an awl and it would be hard to beat. Anyway. I am grateful to be in a place where I can get a ton of history on a great company and be educated on the past and the present. I'm done ranting....for now.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #43 on: April 09, 2016, 01:51:36 AM
I had the same experience basically.  Thanks to this place, I got introduced to the greatness of the originals.  They are addicting to collect ;)

K-Tibbs

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: April 09, 2016, 04:24:11 AM
I noticed :facepalm:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: April 09, 2016, 07:07:57 AM
What are your thoughts on that DeWalt multi tool? Looks decent? I have low expectations even though they make great power tools I feel this is somewhat of an afterthought. So please disappoint me  :D and, is it heavy? (Pics in comparison to anything Leatherman would be bonus points!)

I'm a DeWalt guy for the most part. I have the 20v brushless hammer drill  ;) among others.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: April 09, 2016, 07:14:30 AM
It is decent. I won it in a giveaway here. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for one. I can get pictures for you tomorrow. Anything specific you want me to compare it to?

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: April 09, 2016, 07:19:52 AM
It is decent. I won it in a giveaway here. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for one. I can get pictures for you tomorrow. Anything specific you want me to compare it to?
just widths really and maybe open lengths. But you don't have to. If it's only worth a $20 in your eye I think I'd rather just parlay that to something else  ;) thanks
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: April 09, 2016, 07:22:14 AM
It is short and thick with no pocket clip. I store mine in a mp400 sheath. There are better tools on the market. Cheap and cheerful or otherwise.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: April 09, 2016, 07:50:10 PM
What are your thoughts on that DeWalt multi tool? Looks decent? I have low expectations even though they make great power tools I feel this is somewhat of an afterthought. So please disappoint me  :D and, is it heavy? (Pics in comparison to anything Leatherman would be bonus points!)

I'm a DeWalt guy for the most part. I have the 20v brushless hammer drill  ;) among others.
Some pics with the Rebar

It's important to also note the dewalt has spring loaded pliers, all other tools are accessible from the outside, and the all the tools except the blade are on spring locks. The blade has a liner lock. Over all it really is a good tool. There are a few write ups on it. If you can get one I would try it out and see how you like it.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: April 10, 2016, 07:23:37 PM
Two of my favorite hobbies: drums and multi

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: April 10, 2016, 07:33:41 PM
Yesterday while tinkering with the DeWalt mt16 my boy wanted to help out. Seems like the right tool for him.

Both hands for extra leverage

Parenthood is often difficult yet most rewarding.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 07:35:55 PM by Demel »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: April 10, 2016, 07:34:34 PM
Nice job on starting him young   :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: April 10, 2016, 07:51:33 PM
Nice job on starting him young   :tu:

:tu:

He's so focused  :)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: April 10, 2016, 07:53:41 PM
He's going to be able to outwork me one day. That's my hope.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:45:48 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #55 on: April 10, 2016, 10:37:21 PM
Two of my favorite hobbies: drums and multi (Image removed from quote.)
Nice.  PST II for me today as well.  The drums are something I have always been interested in, but never actually got to try.

K-Tibbs

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: April 10, 2016, 10:42:36 PM
Thanks. Drums are awesome. It was my life for a long time. Not so much now, but I still play at church regularly. The PST2 is nice. As I go backwards in the Leatherman timeline the tools get slimmer and lighter. Last one on my list is the originator. The legendary PST!!! Lol

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #57 on: April 11, 2016, 01:48:07 AM
Yeah the PST family packs a lot in a solid, slim package.  No wasted space there :tu:

K-Tibbs

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: April 14, 2016, 10:47:17 PM
Carrying the original dynamic duo today.
Just got the PST in the mail today and it is COMPACT!!!! I plan on going for a 30 day challenge with these two eventually. Maybe I'll host a monthly Challenge in the summer. But  I'm very  interested to see how this thing will hold up.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: April 16, 2016, 09:28:18 PM
Newest additions to the family :nanadance:
I'm not becoming a light guy.....no really I'm not :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%