Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fenix E01 over Maglite - Opinions please

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Fenix E01 over Maglite - Opinions please
on: February 25, 2016, 12:25:34 PM
I have EDC'd an LED AAA Maglite for a few years now, and apart from occasionally not turning on at first twist when the battery is running low, I am happy with it.

HOWEVER. This is MTO and therefore I am courting opinions on the Fenix E01 (no other models please as the Fenix is around a tenner on Amazon) to see if it is a better torch than the Maglite.

Obligatory pic;
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Fenix E01 over Maglite - Opinions please
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 12:30:54 PM
E01 is shorter, fatter, dimmer and runs longer (and mine broke, but I was probably unlucky).  Unless the runtime on your Solitaire is a problem, I wouldn't bother changing.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 12:33:57 PM
E01 is shorter, fatter, dimmer and runs longer (and mine broke, but I was probably unlucky).  Unless the runtime on your Solitaire is a problem, I wouldn't bother changing.
Dimmer eh? Interesting. I think I will stick with my Mag(entus) lite then. Cheers H  :salute: I will spend the £10 on something else then.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 12:38:19 PM
Just going by the specs on the web - E01 = 13 lm, Solitaire = 40 lm.

E05 is much betterer. :pok:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 12:45:57 PM
Just going by the specs on the web - E01 = 13 lm, Solitaire = 40 lm.

E05 is much betterer. :pok:
:twak:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 12:46:49 PM
 :whistle:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 02:42:22 PM
I have an e01 that lives on my keychain. It's a good light, doesn't twist on accidentally, it only has one setting (I only use one anyway) and it's cheap. I say get it and try it for a month. Not much to lose if it doesn't work out.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 02:43:00 PM
I love my E01, it is surprisingly useful; very bright and floody for its size and it lasts a long time, especially on lithium primaries.

I have a 2 x AAA LED MiniMag rated at 84lm; it's OK but I much prefer the E01 overall.

I seriously recommend taking a look at Fenix LD09 (130lm edition) ! It's an older model so prices should be lower now.

Bugger, I can't find one at a good price right now  :-\ A physical store might be better. However WTF ?!? Price:    $1,501.54 & FREE Shipping ?

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-XP-E2-4-Mode-Lumens-Flashlight/dp/B0183Z0ASK/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1456407963&sr=8-9&keywords=fenix+ld09+130+lumens
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:50:06 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 02:52:06 PM
You lot have run roughshod over my request

HOWEVER. This is MTO and therefore I am courting opinions on the Fenix E01 (no other models please as the Fenix is around a tenner on Amazon) to see if it is a better torch than the Maglite.

But I love you all so you're forgiven.

Unlike Eamo I am not a collector  :pok: so I won't just buy something to try it out. My Maglite works well enough, but I have heard so much about the Fenix my curiosity was piqued. A tenner is about the max I will pay for a torch I don't necessarily need but I will look at all the other suggestions you make.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 03:03:20 PM

Unlike Eamo I am not a collector  :pok: so I won't just buy something to try it out. My Maglite works well enough, but I have heard so much about the Fenix my curiosity was piqued. A tenner is about the max I will pay for a torch I don't necessarily need but I will look at all the other suggestions you make.

Mea culpa, magentus, I didn't mention I'd ignore that request of yours; I thought you'd know me better by now  >:D  :P

Seriously though, I wouldn't go around suggesting stuff if I didn't think they're worth it. I saw a LD09 on clearance priced at 50% off in a store (€25 in total) and I jumped right at it despite money being scarce like sugar after ants have raided the bowl. I see it as an investment since this light has been very close to perfection for my EDC needs  :angel:

Edit: Seriously though, part 2; if you can spare the tenner I say go for it, E01 = great value for money.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:06:17 PM by firiki »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 03:08:07 PM
Thing about the E01 is that it's nigh indestructible (unless you are from Wales apparently), has long run-times with an alkaline cell and gives out enough light for indoor tasks.  Not lots of light, but enough.

BTW you should definitely look at the Thrunite Ti3 NW. :whistle:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:09:17 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 03:14:24 PM

Mea culpa, magentus, I didn't mention I'd ignore that request of yours; I thought you'd know me better by now  >:D  :P

Seriously though, I wouldn't go around suggesting stuff if I didn't think they're worth it. I saw a LD09 on clearance priced at 50% off in a store (€25 in total) and I jumped right at it despite money being scarce like sugar after ants have raided the bowl. I see it as an investment since this light has been very close to perfection for my EDC needs  :angel:

Edit: Seriously though, part 2; if you can spare the tenner I say go for it, E01 = great value for money.

Fair enough firiki. I do admire your anarchist outlook. The LD09 looks great and if I saw it cheaper than the 30 quid they want for it on amazon I might ask for it for my birthday. My wife won't buy the whole 'investment' schtick though. She's a smart cookie (Why is she with you then Magentus I hear you say? - you'll have to ask her that).

Thing about the E01 is that it's nigh indestructible (unless you are from Wales apparently), has long run-times with an alkaline cell and gives out enough light for indoor tasks.  Not lots of light, but enough.

BTW you should definitely look at the Thrunite Ti3 NW. :whistle:

Cheers G-Razzle - would you also class the Solitaire as indestructible? Should I start calling it Captain Scarlet? And congrats for joining everyone else over the line.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:16:30 PM by magentus »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 03:25:13 PM
I've heard too many folks say they've had trouble with their LED Solitaires to call them indestructible.  Lots of problems with flickering LEDs from what I've read.  However if you're one is going strong then I don't see the problem.

Have you thought about a Nitecore Tube?  >:D  Seriously, it's within your budget and is different enough from your Solitaire.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 03:38:15 PM
I've heard too many folks say they've had trouble with their LED Solitaires to call them indestructible.  Lots of problems with flickering LEDs from what I've read.  However if you're one is going strong then I don't see the problem.

Have you thought about a Nitecore Tube?  >:D  Seriously, it's within your budget and is different enough from your Solitaire.

Now that looks interesting! I like that it's rechargeable. Not very tubey though eh? I will investigate further. Do you have one and if so, what are your thoughts?

gr Offline firiki

Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 03:52:22 PM
I've heard too many folks say they've had trouble with their LED Solitaires to call them indestructible.  Lots of problems with flickering LEDs from what I've read.  [...]

My 2 X AAA LED MiniMag flickers as well, it has shamelessly done so since day 1.  :twak:  :rant:

Not very efficient with battery use either so I only use it around the house, I wouldn't want to have to depend on it.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:53:31 PM by firiki »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 03:54:44 PM
I've heard too many folks say they've had trouble with their LED Solitaires to call them indestructible.  Lots of problems with flickering LEDs from what I've read.  [...]

My 2 X AAA LED MiniMag flickers as well, it has shamelessly done so since day 1.  :twak:  :rant:

Not very efficient with battery use either so I only use it around the house, I wouldn't want to have to depend on it.  :-\
If you treat it like the smiley in your last post treats theirs I'm not surprised it flickers!

gr Offline firiki

Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 04:02:06 PM

If you treat it like the smiley in your last post treats theirs I'm not surprised it flickers!

I don't because I look after my things and because doing so would be worthless anyway; it's so lightweight the only way it could help me deal with the bad guys would be if this made them laugh to death :rofl:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 04:06:28 PM

I don't because I look after my things and because doing so would be worthless anyway; it's so lightweight the only way it could help me deal with the bad guys would be if this made them laugh to death :rofl:
Make them see the lighter side of things? See what I did there?

gr Offline firiki

Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 04:13:05 PM

Make them see the lighter side of things? See what I did there?

*Groan* Kill me now! :D

Monty Python - Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life

See the guy on that cross? That's me...

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 04:15:28 PM
The E01 is what you want on your keychain if you at trapped in an elevator for 13 hours with no electricity.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 04:18:31 PM
The E01 is what you want on your keychain if you at trapped in an elevator for 13 hours with no electricity.
That and a bucket.

What bucket do people EDC? Suggestions please.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 04:31:01 PM

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 04:34:58 PM
This one rides nicely in your EDC bag:  http://www.amazon.com/Infusion-Living-Reforms-Collapsible-Bucket/dp/B00IM7RTBG.
The 2 gallon capacity looks good for a 13 hour stint. I'll take it!  :salute:

I had to rescue a lift insurance assessor the other from the top of our lift - he broke it while assessing it - 2nd time in as many visits! If the residents here weren't so dependent on the lift I was tempted to leave him up there for 13 hours.  :facepalm:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 04:35:40 PM

Now that looks interesting! I like that it's rechargeable. Not very tubey though eh? I will investigate further. Do you have one and if so, what are your thoughts?

Have a gander in the review section, I've got my video review in there somewhere. :)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 04:37:22 PM

Have a gander in the review section, I've got my video review in there somewhere. :)
I'll head over there now.  :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 04:48:11 PM
Good review G-Razzle. They cost more than a Fenix 01 on amazon atm - I may have a look at some other sites to see how much they are. 

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 05:14:09 PM
Depends what Solitaire. The old incandescent is a laugh. The new LED one is not as tough as the E01. E01 chosen 11 times out of 10 here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 07:29:59 PM
Depends what Solitaire. The old incandescent is a laugh. The new LED one is not as tough as the E01. E01 chosen 11 times out of 10 here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the LED one. Fenix is very well thought of on this forum!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 08:08:58 PM
Fenix E01 is the one I've carried for several years now. Won't bother with anything else, and I've had Maglights. The little E01 is my go-to pocket light.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 10:57:57 AM
Fenix E01 is the one I've carried for several years now. Won't bother with anything else, and I've had Maglights. The little E01 is my go-to pocket light.
(Image removed from quote.)
Cheers- nice pic too C-Blibbel  :salute:

What is it about the Fenix that puts it above the maglite?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD