Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help with a GPS

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Help with a GPS
on: March 08, 2016, 01:25:47 AM
I'm in need of a handheld GPS or App that I can put my own coordinates in and then follow , Any info will be appreciated  :salute: What do you guys use ?

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Re: Help with a GPS
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 09:11:12 PM

You can do that with any hiking GPS units. The Garmin eTrex units are very popular. I have not used one for years so cannot comment much about what's out there now. You can start researching those while others chime in.

What to you intend using this for? Treasure hunt? In the woods nothing to beat a topology map. You can plot a course avoiding difficult to trek terrain.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 09:41:37 PM
I'm in need of a handheld GPS or App that I can put my own coordinates in and then follow , Any info will be appreciated  :salute: What do you guys use ?

You mean a GPS in which you can enter coordinates so the GPS can guide you to these coordinates ? 

I use my Garmin GPS Map-60 CSX for that, it's an "old" unit (I bought it back in 2007), but it still gets me where I need to be  ;)

These days, the Garmin units are not that expensive anymore, the most expensive part is the map software you "need" to buy with it (if you want to see a map on your gps screen, if not, you don't need a map to get you to certain coordinates, but with a map it's a lot easier since the GPS can guide you over trails and/or roads).  I believe a Garmin Etrex can also guide you to the coordinates you've entered (I've never used an Etrex myself, but I believe they work the same as my GPS Map-60 CSX, while they are quite a bit cheaper).

Here's a pic I took during a mountainbike ride:

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 06:27:02 AM
LoL ; sorry this sounds like "I need a knife for cutting things"

You have described the most basic fundamental use of a GPS.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 01:54:04 AM
Yes, to punch in coordinates and follow to in terrain not streets.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 06:53:35 AM

The Garmin hiking models will definitely do that, even the basic ones. Then you can mark way points as you trek along so you can re-trace your steps back to the beginning.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 08:19:38 AM
I guess then ease of entry of the coordinates is the only factor. Entering into an etrex is a bit fiddly; a touch screen model makes data entry easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 01:03:21 PM
Thanks , that helps  :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 01:12:25 PM
OK, maybe I missed something, but why not use a smart phone?

I use OSMand+ on Android and it works fine.

I think you can input coordinates in too and set various way points, destination etc.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 01:31:11 PM
OK, maybe I missed something, but why not use a smart phone?

I use OSMand+ on Android and it works fine.

I think you can input coordinates in too and set various way points, destination etc.

I prefer a real outdoor GPS.

Mostly because I think battery life on most smart phones is ridiculously short, especially when you're running some of the gadgets on it.  My Garmin lasts for about 2 days on one set of two AA batteries, and when they run out, you can easily replace them with another set you have with you (when I go hiking I have four extra AA batteries with me in my pocket).

And secondly, I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket, if I loose my phone, I still have my GPS and vica versa.

P.S.  I also like the buttons on my GPS Map-60 CSX more than a touch screen, but that might just be because I'm starting to become an old man ...  ::)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 05:01:41 PM
While I don't have a GPS I agree with TG24.  I'd rather have a dedicated system with replaceable batteries than rely on my smart phone.  A dedicated GPS has better satellite reception, more feature rich, and in some cases water proof. 

From my research you really can't go wrong with the top brands.  To narrow it down start with touch screen vs button.  Then decide if you need certain features and what matters most.  You'd be surprised how quickly you narrow down your choices.

I've leaned towards those with an external antenna.  In heavy cloud cover or less than ideal open spaces the external antenna will pick up a signal better.  Water resistance is another big factor for me.  Battery life needless to say is top on the list as well. 

IF you are in a sunny area screen resolution on some models from reports is not the best so consider that.         

Esse Quam Videri

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 04:53:50 AM
G'Day,

Another Garmin 60CSX user here. I use it on the bicycle, motorcycle and for hikes. Never had an issue with it and like it a lot. This one uses 2xAA batteries and depending on settings can get a few days out of it. Load Topographical Maps and it becomes a VERY useful tool in the bush.
I also use an older Garmin Rino 520 from time to time. It has a two-way radio incorporated into the GPS. Less memory that the 60 CSX and you cannot add an SD card in it. You can add a battery pack to it that will take AA batteries, otherwise you will have to get to a power-point every few days.

I also prefer buttons to touch screens, they work easier for Me on the motorbike.

Cheers,

Pete

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 02:11:02 AM
I use a etrex for outdoor use. You can input coordinates and set way points etc. it was really cheap and never had any problems with it. Accurate to 5 feet most days.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 06:14:35 PM
First, I like having a separate GPS from my smartphone.  I have a few GPS's as I use them for sailing and for hiking/backpacking.
  • My current favorite for hiking, Magellan Triton 500
  • My favorite for racing on the Bay and for coastal sailing, Magellan Sportrac Color
  • Backup for both above, Magellan eXplorist 300
  • Backup, Garmin eTrex Legend

Every one of these was purchased used on Craigslist, so the outlay wasn't great, but they all have been much used.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%