Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

what gps do you use

us Offline rescue4500

what gps do you use
on: September 16, 2015, 08:20:32 PM
theres probley already a thread for this so forgive me if there is..
 I bought a garmin etrex 10 new in sealed box for 53 bucks at the pawn shop.. I figured what the heck it would come in handy for hiking and geocaching and its brand new and half price... and I am very impressed with its abilitys and have used it a few times now....but now I want the upgraded etrex 30x because I want a color screen and more memory for waypoints and geocaches.. whats your favorite gps to carry and has a gps every got you out of a tight spot??
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: what gps do you use
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:23:53 PM
just what came with my Lenovo phone.

works fine
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 09:48:18 PM
When out and about in unknown terrain, I use Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. Very reliable and has a color display for topographic maps.

For regular in new city use I just use the google maps on my phone. 

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 11:24:00 PM
When out and about in unknown terrain, I use Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. Very reliable and has a color display for topographic maps.

Same here, for outdoor use my trusty GPSMAP 60 CSX, and for use in the car my Garmin Nuvi.

Old pic, back then,  I used to put a small plastic bag around my MAP60 CSX when there was a lot of mut, I don't do that anymore  ;).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 12:29:37 AM
In vehicle Garmin Nuvi user also.  I'll use my phone as well but I'd also like to get a dedicated GPS at some point. 
Esse Quam Videri

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 06:48:20 AM
Car = nuvi
Enduro motorcycle, hiking, hunting = eTrex Vista HCx upgrading to 30 soon
Mountain bike, hunting , backup = Fenix 1
Also iPhone 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 06:58:05 AM
Another Garmin Nuvi user in car, especially when in US.  :tu:

I usually just rely on my phone for GPS handheld navigation, I found that it is quite accurate and fast to acquire satellites, vs my traditional garmin handheld gps.  Especially the Google my tracks app, it really revolutionize how I could record where I've been and I could photo tag locations based on the records.

ca Offline JP

Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 05:01:55 PM
Good topic: I want a basic one for hunting and hiking. I was checking out the Ethel 10.

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 08:26:29 PM
Good topic: I want a basic one for hunting and hiking. I was checking out the Ethel 10.
  I got the etrex 10 and the only thing I don't like is that is black and white instead of color screen but may I say it works great
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 09:12:14 PM
I use an etrex 30 (the older one, not the 30x).  Decided on that one as there's a lot of user support in the UK for using the etrex for cycling, and it's got the electronic compass and altimeter for more accurate recording.  Having the functionality to add maps (I use Ordnance Survey 1:50k and Open Street Maps for the UK) is a really big help, and makes the Etrex 20 and 30 much more useful as a route finding device, rather than the simple tracker/position confirmation that the 10 does.

ca Offline JP

Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 01:06:15 AM
If I win on tonight's Proline Prop card 63 I may grab a refurbished etrex 10 from an online retailer based out of Calgary.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 05:00:24 AM

Same here, for outdoor use my trusty GPSMAP 60 CSX, and for use in the car my Garmin Nuvi.

Old pic, back then,  I used to put a small plastic bag around my MAP60 CSX when there was a lot of mut, I don't do that anymore  ;).

Pretty certain that is the exact unit I have, although these days I tend to just use my phone or Tablet and use MyTracks to map where I've gone and how fast I got there.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 08:54:37 AM

Pretty certain that is the exact unit I have, although these days I tend to just use my phone or Tablet and use MyTracks to map where I've gone and how fast I got there.

Def

Hey, Boss, since you are using GPS/MyTracks the same way as I do, may I introduce you to the Adobe Lightroom for photo processing?

Besides having around 90% funciton of what photoshop can do, Lightroom is a great 'database' software that allow fast access and finding statistics on the photos. 

The very best part I found, is it could incorporate data from MyTracks, and then plot all the photo according to camera time onto a map.  In the past, I often have a difficult time to pinpoint exactly where I take a random photo, but now this process is self-automated.  Simply amazing.

us Offline forest77

Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 12:58:03 PM
Garmin GPSMAP 64. Is what ive used for 5 months.  If I pack it I always pack my compass as well. Its been helping me learn to use a compass better. Its benn like learning both at once, somedays.
10272015182943.jpg
* 10272015182943.jpg (Filesize: 230.46 KB)
Mind not for rent!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 04:59:09 PM
Until half-way through this hunting season I had used a Garmin GPSMAP 62s. It was a really good unit that I got on Black Friday sale, and I never wanted anything different. However, when my friends came back from a hunt (I was working) without my 62s, I knew I was about to have a good day :D I went hunting the next day with a brand new Garmin Oregon 600t (and land-use overlay micro SD) setup worth $400 that I didn't have to pay one red cent for :tu:

It's really nice. The main difference b/t it and what I had, is that the 600t is touchscreen and is Bluetooth compatible. I'm sure their are other differences, but these are the most noticeable to me when I am using it in the field. It is a more expensive and fancier unit than I would have gotten for myself, but since it was not black Friday, my buddies just did they best they could, and being split 3 ways meant no single person had to shell out crazy money for it.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline forest77

Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 05:18:17 PM
I would love touch screen.  I love the gpsmap unit, but navigating the menus can be nerve racking. ( hense why I bring a military  style compass. ) It has taken me a while to except the idiosyncrasies of the gpsmap units. But one day ill eitheir trade up or give it to my son.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Mind not for rent!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 05:39:18 PM
I've got the etrax 20x;
trying to figure out how to use it as a sat-nav in my car, but seems without spend €€€'s for new maps i can't - or else i'm doing something wrong, the maps i've got don't seem to snap to the roads / allow routing  :( - even the free ones. Ah well, thats not why i got it anyway.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 07:35:50 PM
I would love touch screen.  I love the gpsmap unit, but navigating the menus can be nerve racking. ( hense why I bring a military  style compass. ) It has taken me a while to except the idiosyncrasies of the gpsmap units. But one day ill eitheir trade up or give it to my son.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

At first, I was almost turned off at getting the 600t BECAUSE of the touchscreen. Gloves are necessary when hunting here in Central Montana in the fall/winter so how would that work? Also, I could foresee the unit bounces around as it dangles from my jacket or pants, resulting in needing to constantly navigate back to the map screen when I stop to look at it. But, both have been non-issues. I needed to get a new pair of gloves so I just made sure they had the touch-screen friendly finger-tips. And, yes, the map gets accidentally scrolled from bumping into my legs or other gear. But it has never been drastic enough that one finger swipe couldn't correct the issue. And the touchscreen facilitates much faster navigation of menus and maps than the push-button interface of the GPSMAP types. I'm pleased with it :tu:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 03:11:27 PM
I've got the etrax 20x;
trying to figure out how to use it as a sat-nav in my car, but seems without spend €€€'s for new maps i can't - or else i'm doing something wrong, the maps i've got don't seem to snap to the roads / allow routing  :( - even the free ones. Ah well, thats not why i got it anyway.

You should be able to do auto-routing on the free OpenStreetMaps (http://www.openstreetmap.org/) on the Etrex 20x.  I've got them on an older model 30 and it works ok - but it does depend on what level of detail is in the maps.  In the UK they're pretty good and seem fairly complete - it would be worth checking what they're like where you are.  I downloaded mine from TalkyToaster: http://talkytoaster.co.uk/maps/british-isles-ireland/.  The instructions there should take you through installing them on your GPS.  You might want to take a look at http://www.aukadia.net/gps/ too - some very detailed guides as to setting up your etrex (mostly for road cycling, but I think the points are valid for other uses too).

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 05:09:49 PM
Google Maps on my iPhone for regular street driving, and MotionX for off-road driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 08:54:55 PM
I've got the etrax 20x;

You should be able to do auto-routing on the free OpenStreetMaps (http://www.openstreetmap.org/) on the Etrex 20x.  I've got them on an older model 30 and it works ok - but it does depend on what level of detail is in the maps.  In the UK they're pretty good and seem fairly complete - it would be worth checking what they're like where you are.  I downloaded mine from TalkyToaster: http://talkytoaster.co.uk/maps/british-isles-ireland/.  The instructions there should take you through installing them on your GPS.  You might want to take a look at http://www.aukadia.net/gps/ too - some very detailed guides as to setting up your etrex (mostly for road cycling, but I think the points are valid for other uses too).

cool, thanks for that, i had downloaed some from TalkyToaster but when plotting the route using basecamp it insisted on taking the most direct route from where i live across the irish sea to the UK . . . i'll give it another whirl and check out aukadia.net as well. Thank !  :cheers:

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 06:38:46 AM
Just like knives and MT's, I have several :)

For the vehicle, I have a Nuvi 2595LMT.

For hiking/geocaching, I started out with a Garmin eTrex 20, then got a GPSMAP 62s, and now have an Oregon 600.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 01:55:26 PM
I've got the etrax 20x;

cool, thanks for that, i had downloaed some from TalkyToaster but when plotting the route using basecamp it insisted on taking the most direct route from where i live across the irish sea to the UK . . . i'll give it another whirl and check out aukadia.net as well. Thank !  :cheers:

well, i figured it - this i had tried before so no idea why it works now - this is using Garmins own supplied map with the etrax 20x - by holding the alt key and dragging the route it should snap to wherever you drag it to.

I've found basecamp a pretty smurfe piece of software, I like garmin stuff but this is pretty smurfe. When dragging routes and trying to it to follow a particular road, i found it very hit n miss, and more miss then anything else. I appreciate the 20x isn't a satnav but this is the garmin s/w rather thenhardware :rant:  :rant:  :rant: 

no Offline Grathr

Reply #23 on: December 18, 2015, 02:05:23 PM
I have a Garmin Oregon 450 wich I use on multiday hikes/canoe trips. It has a color touch screen and detailed maps of the whole country on a flashcard.

I also have a Magellan explorist 100, wich was my first GPS. No maps or colour screen. Button navigation. It does however use very little power. I usually carry it on day hikes as insurance in case I get lost.

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 10:52:53 PM
Garmin foretrex 401.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/outdoor/wrist-worn/foretrex-401/prod30026.html

(I couldn't find it by clicking through the options on the Garmin site, I had to type in the model) - and it is different places on the US and AU sites (One is "outdoor" the other one is "on the trail".  I guess they're keeping web developers in business)

Anyway, all that is by-the-by. This little bad boy is great, no colour screens or other doodads, but it tells you where you are, where you have been (and if you can be bothered setting waypoints and routes) where you are going.

(It can also calculate when you have to jump out of a plane in order to land in the right spot.
a bit of a niche feature, but there you go.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 10:54:06 PM by Sea Monster »

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 07:13:30 AM
All old school here:

• Primary sailing gps is a Magellan Color Sportrack
  • GHB has a Magellan Explorist 300
  • Backup & day hikes is a Magellan Triton 500

I also have a Garmin eTrex that I haven't used much.  All have been purchased used and all work.  My primary use has been for sailing/racing, but am using more for hiking/backpacking now.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #26 on: January 14, 2016, 08:37:41 AM
My daughters have shown interest in Geocaching and we found the first three this week.
All lined up for a little trip to a local animal rehabilitation center this weekend, two caches along a small 2km hike.

The road to the south is the main N1 national road in the busiest part of Northern Johannesburg.

Kids use the eTrex, I have the fenix and iPhone for backup.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 10:39:54 AM
Garmin Nuvi with Tracks for Africa......in the car.

.....and nobody mentioned maps. 

I guess that's the advantage of phones, you can have the gps and a usable map.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 10:54:02 PM
Garmin Nuvi in the car. Due for replacement when I can afford it, cheaper than buying maps. This one didn't come with "Maps for life."

Garmin eTrex for hunting/dirtbiking/boating/4wheeling/bushwalking etc

TomTom One on the Ducati

Google maps on my phone for day to day stuff.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 05:39:43 AM
Got a new Garmin Edge 520 for cycling. It will show Strava Segments if you into it. Also my other Garmins currently in use. I've been loyal to Garmin. Have had many of their products over the years.

GarminBike.JPG
* GarminBike.JPG (Filesize: 104.27 KB)
GarminDrive.JPG
* GarminDrive.JPG (Filesize: 119.27 KB)
GarminRide.jpg
* GarminRide.jpg (Filesize: 46.26 KB)
GarminRun.JPG
* GarminRun.JPG (Filesize: 167.26 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!