Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

sLaughter's Hungry Ranger

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
sLaughter's Hungry Ranger
on: March 13, 2016, 02:59:28 AM
Ive been planning this 3layer 91mm cellidor mod for a long time, and am very pleased with the results.  Thanks TattooSteve99 and Syph007 for hooking me up with the parta I was missing.

First, my setup:

Pre-peening the brass rods:

Trimming the excess rod off:

Success! 93mm Awl, metal file, wood saw, large blade and corkscrew. I call it the Hungry Ranger:

Makes for an amazing lightweight carry with my Juice S2

And its thinner than a Climber!
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Re: sLaughter's Hungry Ranger
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 06:58:44 AM
A SAK without screwdrivers... At first I want to be all   :think: and :rant:

Then I see it is riding with an S2. Perfect companion piece for this SAK!
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 09:05:56 AM
Nicely done mate.   :tu:   :tu:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 10:12:48 AM

End Awl  :dd:

Great job  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 10:26:34 AM
nice work. why call it hungry?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 06:33:17 PM
Because hes extra skinny, and he cant open cans or bottles.

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 06:53:32 PM

End Awl  :dd:

Great job  :tu:
Thanks, I love that awl too.
Nicely done mate.   :tu:   :tu:
Thanks!

A SAK without screwdrivers... At first I want to be all   :think: and :rant:

Then I see it is riding with an S2. Perfect companion piece for this SAK!
There is method to the maddness.  This SAK was intended to be a companion to my multis with scissors, in the same way my Climber is a companion to my scissorless multitools.

hr Offline styx

Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 09:14:08 PM
Because hes extra skinny, and he cant open cans or bottles.

the awl can open those  ;)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 10:09:09 AM
Just seen this S-Mizzle - excellent mod. I wish I was as brave as you to leave the opener layer out. Maybe I'll do that next time. You've picked a great set of tools and I love seeing the awl in a 91mm frame.

Did you have to pack the awl out at the pivot or did it just slip in ok? I had a bit of trouble with my two.

:salute:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:10:51 AM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 03:16:51 PM
Just seen this S-Mizzle - excellent mod. I wish I was as brave as you to leave the opener layer out. Maybe I'll do that next time. You've picked a great set of tools and I love seeing the awl in a 91mm frame.

Did you have to pack the awl out at the pivot or did it just slip in ok? I had a bit of trouble with my two.

Thanks mags, I appreciate it. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "pack the awl out" but I didn't need to modify anything to fit it in. It was a simple drop in for me. I kept the spacer in place as well, to make sure there was enough room for the main blade. The awl (plus spacer) is slightly too wide for the blade back spring, but you would have to be looking for it to notice, and it doesn't affect function at all.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 03:49:07 PM

Thanks mags, I appreciate it. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "pack the awl out" but I didn't need to modify anything to fit it in. It was a simple drop in for me. I kept the spacer in place as well, to make sure there was enough room for the main blade. The awl (plus spacer) is slightly too wide for the blade back spring, but you would have to be looking for it to notice, and it doesn't affect function at all.
Ah, yes, I didn't word it very well. My Pikachu has the newer thinner tanged main blade and I removed the spacer and popped in a very thin washer to make up the difference and on my Greenwood which has the older thicker tanged main blade I filed the spacer down a bit and that fits really well.
I wonder now whether I had to go to all the trouble I did  :facepalm:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 04:05:28 PM

Ah, yes, I didn't word it very well. My Pikachu has the newer thinner tanged main blade and I removed the spacer and popped in a very thin washer to make up the difference and on my Greenwood which has the older thicker tanged main blade I filed the spacer down a bit and that fits really well.
Thats why I always build a couple different versions before peening. I was preparing to do the same as you did on Pikachu, but figured id try it without first. It worked fine, so I left it stock. I actually started with a older, thicker tang blade and liner, but switches to the newer ones with the bump in the washer and thinner tang, as it actually fit a little better with the keyring spacer and awl.

Yours probably doesn't have the same gap that mine does though.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 04:17:32 PM

Thats why I always build a couple different versions before peening. I was preparing to do the same as you did on Pikachu, but figured id try it without first. It worked fine, so I left it stock. I actually started with a older, thicker tang blade and liner, but switches to the newer ones with the bump in the washer and thinner tang, as it actually fit a little better with the keyring spacer and awl.

At the end of the day though our SAK's are very cool and we should feel very pleased with ourselves. We may be the best modders ever :D

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 04:24:38 PM

At the end of the day though our SAK's are very cool and we should feel very pleased with ourselves. We may be the best modders ever :D
Heck yeah we are. Way better than that Syph fellow for sure. Who needs fancy equipment when I have a pile of dirty old SAKs and a big hammer? :crash: :2tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 04:46:19 PM

Heck yeah we are. Way better than that Syph fellow for sure. Who needs fancy equipment when I have a pile of dirty old SAKs and a big hammer? :crash: :2tu:

Mmmmmmmm dirty SAK's

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 05:10:06 PM

Mmmmmmmm dirty SAK's
:twak:
Where's pfrsantos with his spoiler meme's when you need him?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 06:46:27 PM

Mmmmmmmm dirty SAK's
:twak:
Where's pfrsantos with his spoiler meme's when you need him?

Oh, I'm right here... You've got one problem, though...

Show content

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 06:00:00 PM
I do like the mod.very well sLaughterMed  :cheers:

I would like that with scissors and an inline Phillips :dd: What would have to be opposite the Phillips beside the magnifier :think: I could live with it but would like to know if there are other options :tu:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 06:01:21 PM by Poncho65 »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 10:53:20 PM

I would like that with scissors and an inline Phillips :dd: What would have to be opposite the Phillips beside the magnifier :think: I could live with it but would like to know if there are other options :tu:

I think you can double up the 2 openers opposite the philips - see syphs mods for details.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 11:57:12 PM

I think you can double up the 2 openers opposite the philips - see syphs mods for details.

Won't work on the 91mm frame. Can be done on the 93mm with some work.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 12:56:06 AM

This is correct, the only other thing that works cross the Phillip driver on the 91mm frane is that terrible LED light. It might be an interesting place to put a T&T and Pen holder though...

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 01:59:02 AM

Did you have to make the pivot hole on the awl smaller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 04:18:43 AM

This is correct, the only other thing that works cross the Phillip driver on the 91mm frane is that terrible LED light. It might be an interesting place to put a T&T and Pen holder though...

I guess I will just stick with the magnifier :whistle: :D

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 04:52:46 AM

Did you have to make the pivot hole on the awl smaller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope, I just stuck it in there. The .5mm difference between the pin and the hole is unnoticeable. It really is just a drop in mod.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: October 10, 2016, 04:53:08 AM
Well I am nearly to the point of tearing a Champion apart and adding an inline awl in place of the small blade taking the scaler and openers out and I will have a very similar but a bit wider SAK than this one :dd:

I just need to source an inline awl :think: Any ideas guys on where to get one without taking a Pioneer or similar apart :shrug:

Or anyone know of a place to get a pile of dirty SAKs :think: :o :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :rofl:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 10, 2016, 05:20:46 AM
Well I am nearly to the point of tearing a Champion apart and adding an inline awl in place of the small blade taking the scaler and openers out and I will have a very similar but a bit wider SAK than this one :dd:

I just need to source an inline awl :think: Any ideas guys on where to get one without taking a Pioneer or similar apart :shrug:

Or anyone know of a place to get a pile of dirty SAKs :think: :o :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :rofl:
I usually get my dirty SAKs from eBay. :tu:

Let me know if you find a good source for the inline awl, I could use a few too

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: October 10, 2016, 05:43:04 AM

I usually get my dirty SAKs from eBay. :tu:

Let me know if you find a good source for the inline awl, I could use a few too

I will let you know if I do :salute: Off to the bay of E :ahhh

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: October 10, 2016, 06:15:04 AM
Add me to the list of those wanting an inline awl.   :gimme:   :gimme:

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #28 on: October 10, 2016, 09:21:14 PM
What is awl this commotion?  :pok:

I reckon anyone in their right mind would love an opportunity to get their dirty mitts on a Pioneer-less awl.

How about two inline screwdrivers in the same layer, with one of them filed down to be awl pointy?
-tom
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 03:51:43 PM
What is awl this commotion?  :pok:

I reckon anyone in their right mind would love an opportunity to get their dirty mitts on a Pioneer-less awl.

How about two inline screwdrivers in the same layer, with one of them filed down to be awl pointy?
-tom

Just rereading this now and this comment has my mind working toward using two inline Phillips and grinding one down to a point instead of having to source an in line awl :ahhh What is the smallest SAK with an inline Phillips  :think: Is it the Explorer or is there something smaller :shrug: Looking for a common SAK though and don't go telling me some impossible to find SAK that they discontinued 25 years ago either  :pok: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%