Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Intro with SOG photos.

Offline TankMech88

• New User
Intro with SOG photos.
on: March 19, 2016, 05:33:07 PM
Hey everyone, found this forum while googling random SOG things. Pretty cool place, so I'm in the military and my first few years I used the basic Gerber multitool crap. They broke a lot, I use my SOG every day as a mechanic. So about 3 years ago I bought a powerlock on a whim and this thing is great! I'd like to think that I've put this thing through the toughest of testing being a M1 Tank Maintainer. It gets used for everything and has excelled at it way past my old Gerbers and everyone else's that I see use everyday. I can get things accomplished that most people put they're Gerbers down for to go get actual tools. In the 3 years of hard day to day testing only one thing has failed me, that is the large flat screw driver, I was using it to pry something so I can't really blame the tool, but it snapped off. I love pulling this thing out and using it and I think my next purchase is going to be a stainless model powerlock, I don't see the need in getting any other model, the powerlock is all I need it to be, although a TiNi powerlock would be bad ass as well. So without any further rambling.. Here's some pics I took of it today inspired by the cool pictures I see posted on this forum. Thank you all, have a great day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Intro with SOG photos.
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 05:42:55 PM
Hi and welcome,that's a awesome first post!

That's a great testimonial to the Powerlock,and some brilliant photos!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 06:07:31 PM
Wow that is a great post.

Hats off to you sir  :salute:

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 06:16:54 PM
Great pics  :tu:  Welcome aboard and thank you for your service   :salute:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 06:24:03 PM
Welcome to the forums. Great pics, btw!
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 06:57:24 PM
Welcome! Very cool pics!
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

hr Offline styx

Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 07:16:44 PM
welcome mate. nice pics
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 09:59:29 PM
Great first post. Hope to see more of you and your PowerLock in the future.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 01:19:02 AM
Great post! Love to see a well used tool!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 01:51:31 PM
Welcome to the forum and great intro. The Powerlock has become one of my favorite multis to carry. Glad to see it getting love elsewhere
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 02:56:30 PM
Thank you for your service  :salute:.  I also love hearing when someone finds the "one".  Welcome to MTO
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 10:09:55 PM
Great first post, and fantastic pictures.  I grew up on military bases and I had an interesting time adjusting to life in the civilian world and not seeing tanks, APC's and other TPG's driving around all the time!

The PowerLock is a great heavy duty tool, but the thing I think I like most about the SOG tools is that they are user serviceable.  For about $6 you can order a replacement flathead screwdriver from SOG and you can install it in about ten minutes yourself, with no fancy tools other than a couple of Torx bits.  The older PowerLock (you have the PowerLock 2.0 there, you can tell by the gear covers and Torx screws) had 1/4" hexagonal screws which made them easier to open up, but the rounded Torx bits snag on things a lot less.

This is the original:

The gears are great because they give you the compound leverage, but folks used to complain that the gear teeth really ate into the palm of your hand when you used the screwdrivers.  Many companies would have tried to re-engineer the handles so that the gears were somehow recessed, but SOG said "smurf it, put some big ass guards over them."

Got to love keeping things simple!

Welcome to the forum!  I have a feeling you'll fit right in here!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 08:08:07 PM
Welcome to the forum and thank you for serving. It's too bad you weren't here for the January challenge. All you had to do was carry your PowerLock for 30 days and post a picture each day.  You can do that anyway if you want a 30 day SOG merit badge.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%