Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pocket note books, journals, doodle pads, planners, etc.

Aloha · 23 · 2590

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
So what are y'all carrying?  Or what did you carry at one time and have moved on?

I started with the planner ( dark brown embossed ) Franklin Covey planner.  I loved that planner and it kept me so organized for years.  Buying the yearly inserts however was costly so my usage wained. I do like it and it looks very handsome so I use it more for "longer term" planning. 

The brief case Franklin Covey was $2 so I have to get it, especially since it was filled with notebooks and such.  I honestly have no use for it whatsoever.

The Rite in the Rain pad holders I pick up at the flea market for $1.  I get lucky and they have the pad to go along with them  :tu:.  I use one for geocaching/compass stuff and the other for household lists and notes. 

The Moleskine pad I tried to carry as my edc note book but its hard cover was a pain.  I use it for notes I take on information I like to reference later. 

The Maxpedidtion 3x5 is my notebook that I use everyday at work.  I take phone calls and make notes, I'll take notes on the work completed.  It never leaves my vehicle. 

I love planners and notebooks but I don't love the prices one has to pay for them.  I had field notes but  :think: for me the cost doesn't justify them.  I use CnC ( cheap and cheerful ) pads I get at wallyworld.  They have worked for year for what I need so why pay $10 when I pay $2?

I got the lighter leather bound journal from the flea market and its really nice with equally nice paper.  I haven't written in it yet though. 

The raw leather/suede thing I keep my pens and extra pads of paper in.  I don't know what it's for.  I got it at the flea market for free  :D.   
IMG_3062 copy.jpg
* IMG_3062 copy.jpg (Filesize: 75.83 KB)

* IMG_3147 copy.jpg (Filesize: 26.67 KB)
IMG_0498 copy.jpg
* IMG_0498 copy.jpg (Filesize: 180.85 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Pocket note books, journals, doodle pads, planners, etc.
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 04:23:11 PM
I used to carry a Franklin Planner back in the day.  It was all the rage.  But it was also a pain in the rear to have that thing in your hand 24/7.  So now it is long gone.

I don't carry anything of the sort now.  But I have a large Moleskine at the Powernoodle Compound, in which all notes, business cards, names, etc. are stored for later reference.  Nothing gets EDC-ed.  If I absolutely have to remember something when I am away from home, I email it to myself, and then memorialize it in writing when I get home.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 04:37:01 PM
I carry a little 48 page Rhodia 7.5 x 12 cm notebook - it's almost exactly the same size as my phone so it sits nicely in my LH front pocket.  They're about £1 each, so I don't really care if they get ruined or I lose them.  I like to use squared paper as I find it easier for plans, sketches and checklists.  They're disposable notes rather than a permanent record of anything - long term stuff goes in the book only to remind me to put it on the calendar at home.

I used to have Moleskines but found them too big and expensive and they took forever for me to fill.  I do have a Rite in the Rain to use next, kindly given to me by strmliner in the Christmas Giveaway.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 05:13:02 PM
I looked at the Midori Travel Planner for my daughter.  She love this sort of stuff.  I saw on YT people "pimping" these things out.  Its almost like scrapbooking for some.  I think its neat but a bit pricy IMO.  I might DIY her one.   

I use my phones voice recorder sometimes as well to take notes. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 05:25:30 PM
A simple A7 notebook. Pretty cheap and small enough not to fill your pocket, big enough to take small notes, doodling, whatever...

I got an A5 Midori at home I did myself. Too big for EDC but nice for a trip or weekend away.

Card Notebook.jpg
* Card Notebook.jpg (Filesize: 148.94 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 05:30:38 PM
The silver case is nice. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 05:39:34 PM
The silver case is nice.

Thanks. Simple cigarette case (holds 10), use it to carry my cards. €2 in a "dollar shop" (loja dos 300).

:tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 12:17:11 PM
I usually just have a Write in the rain notebook I get at Tractor Supply , They come in a pack of 5 for around 8$ I think.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 02:51:32 PM
I've been using the Rite in the Rain books for years now.  Living in a place that experiences lots of rain, snow, high humidity and rapid temperature swings is hard on a lot of different types of equipment and exposed paper is no different.  The Rite in the Rain and Fisher Bullet pen compliment each other nicely in those situations.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline hieya

A stack of index cards which I scan every other week for backup.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 10:20:38 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

I tried the same solution for a while. Worked fairly well but I was missing a hard backing so I made a plastic one but there was also the problem that I could only source lined index cards locally. In the end it didn't really fit in with the rest of my EDC (pockets are to full) so I'm looking at getting a wallet that could include a small notepad.

Btw. is that standard Fisher black ink in your pen? You seem to get really smooth lines with it (closer to what I would expect from a Gel-ink).

Offline hieya

Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 08:52:58 PM

I tried the same solution for a while. Worked fairly well but I was missing a hard backing so I made a plastic one but there was also the problem that I could only source lined index cards locally. In the end it didn't really fit in with the rest of my EDC (pockets are to full) so I'm looking at getting a wallet that could include a small notepad.

Btw. is that standard Fisher black ink in your pen? You seem to get really smooth lines with it (closer to what I would expect from a Gel-ink).

Some of the bargain stores in my area carry dot-grid index cards, which I prefer, as well. I'm lucky to have so many options.

I currently have a Mont Blanc inside my everyday pen. I used to carry a fountain pen until it leaked  :facepalm:

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 05:33:43 PM
I use a 4MM "Corner Rounder" on my index cards. Gives a neat look, makes them much easier to insert/remove from a pocket, and results in far fewer dog-eared cards.
http://www.amazon.com/LINGS-SHOP-Corner-Rounder-Scrapbooking/dp/B00ZQWO9HM?ie=UTF8&keywords=corner%20rounder%204mm&qid=1464276768&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 05:47:42 PM
Use to be a huge notepad fan but then I discovered an app for my phone that does it and also has a calender with reminder function built in. Never looked back.

Almost always have my phone on me anyways so it works out well.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 07:51:38 PM
Use to be a huge notepad fan but then I discovered an app for my phone that does it and also has a calender with reminder function built in. Never looked back.

May I ask what app? I've tried a few and have yet to find one with all the functions I would like. So far Note Everything for Android is my favourite (reminders, encrypted notes, paint notes, etc.) but there's no companion app for PC.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 10:38:17 PM

May I ask what app? I've tried a few and have yet to find one with all the functions I would like. So far Note Everything for Android is my favourite (reminders, encrypted notes, paint notes, etc.) but there's no companion app for PC.

As soon as I free my phone from the daughters grip I will let you know.

It is a pretty simple app and I am not sure abojt PC compatibility.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 11:45:19 PM
Have you tried Evernote?  I had a trial subscription but in the end I just save text notes to Dropbox and access them from PC, phone or tablet as needed.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 02:09:51 AM
ColorNote is the app I use.

Simple but with enough functionality for me.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 12:51:22 PM
I have used that one too.  I keep going value to text files and Dropbox though.

Def

us Offline getahl

Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 05:06:29 PM
I use a couple different things at work, the soft backed moleskine or field notes pads with 80 pages for notes in meetings or when I'm on the shop floor, and a regular notepad when at my desk. I don't carry anything outside of work hours because Evernote. I don't use evernote at work because it's quicker to jot things down in a notebook.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 10:13:44 PM
I've been using this one for two years, and it shows. :D 17x9x1cm

Got it for about $2 at the Müller drug store. Bought 4 or 5 of them so I'm good for 10 years or so. ;) 

us Offline Pacu

Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 01:17:54 AM
i use rite in the rain 3x5 in a leather cover made by them daily. I have the 4x6 version notepad but 3x5 feels like the right size. I use one for passwords, logins and such, one for work and a couple on my desk for back up. Tractor Supply has them up by the registers.

i went from Big Chief in the 70s, trapper keeper in the 80s, dayplanners in the 90s,  Moleskine in the 2000's , now Rite in the Rain.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 02:05:15 AM
This thread got me looking into covers for a small notebook and the Galls Whip It cover has caught my eye.

Anyone have one? What do you think about it?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%