Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why does Gerber use those straight knife blades?

Offline moighonfweeman

Why does Gerber use those straight knife blades?
on: March 27, 2016, 08:14:33 PM
Just something I was wondering - I noticed that almost all of the blades of Gerber MTs have no curvature to the blade. I've never seen that kind of design anywhere else, and I was wondering why they do it. It looks terribly unattractive to me, and seems to have no practical advantage.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Why does Gerber use those straight knife blades?
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 10:00:04 PM
If you are referring the a sheepsfoot style blade, the purported benefits are,  1) it is harder to stab yourself or the cutting media because there is little or no fine tip, and 2) they can be relatively easy to sharpen.

I think they may just cheaper to manufacture, which may be why you see them on many Gerbers.

Gerber MP600.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 10:34:13 PM
I hate the style of the newer Gerber blades. The old style was excellent. Why would they change it to something worse?  :bnghd: It also makes it impossible to cut anything on a flat surface with anything more than the very tip of the blade. The flat blade and being the blade has both handles in the way when folded out really limits things in my opinion.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 06:40:05 PM
That style blade, and it's position when open on an inside opening tool, is one of the main reasons why I never carry a traditional Gerber tool unless I know I'll have another knife handy.  They are borderline unusable for me.

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 07:05:10 PM
Honestly, on their multitools I'd rather have the old style blade which seems more useful overall. And if you're going to give me a wharncliffe/sheepsfoot style blade with a very pointy tip, then at least make sure the tip doesn't hit the inside of the handle everytime you fold it back up! Mine does and the tip is always somewhat dull. I couldn't see this problem on my friends MP600 which has the old style drop point blade.

With that said, the blade is still useful and it does cut. And it is also noticeably thicker than the old blade and very VERY easy to sharpen with a pocket stone like the Fällkniven DC3 which I always keep in my backpack.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 07:07:11 PM by WiseDuck »

fi Offline Padre

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 09:30:41 PM
Before everyone bashes this blade too much...
I like these. Good for wood carving. When the blade is on the upper handle, its closer to your hand also. Fine woodwork is easier.
Pointy edge has its benefits too, like opening taped packages.
I also open cardboard boxes cutting from inside (when removing the bottom part), with this blade you get into that corner better.

Also sharpening.

Now don't get me wrong, I like some belly on my knives... but this blade style has probably a lot of merits too, depending from your needs.
I guess better for puncturing than slicing on top of the board.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 10:04:07 AM
Before everyone bashes this blade too much...
I like these. Good for wood carving. When the blade is on the upper handle, its closer to your hand also. Fine woodwork is easier.
Pointy edge has its benefits too, like opening taped packages.
I also open cardboard boxes cutting from inside (when removing the bottom part), with this blade you get into that corner better.

Also sharpening.

Now don't get me wrong, I like some belly on my knives... but this blade style has probably a lot of merits too, depending from your needs.
I guess better for puncturing than slicing on top of the board.

I could type out and answer, but it looks like Padre has already done it for me. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 07:49:20 PM
Mine get dull at the tip, on all the Mp models I have. I just hate that, because this blade shape would be excellent for tip slicig, box opening and stuff a utility knife is normally used for.

But if it's dull because of the way it's built, that's a serious design fail IMO.
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 04:27:48 PM
I've been tempted to try modding those blades into awls. It's almost certainly doable, but I'm not 100% confident in my ability to do it without just rendering it unusable. On the topic of actually using the blades, I get plenty of use from the one on my MP400. It's easier to cut with it there because of the slimmer handles, and I mostly just use it to open mail and cut tape off boxes. But I've been packing the MP600 Pro Scout (in my EDC bag) for a while and that one I modded to be bladeless. That way I can take it to work or other "sensitive" areas without it being labeled a knife.

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 07:47:49 PM
I like the older style better to. Can´t understand why they changed it.
I kept my M600/400:s with old style and sold the ones with new style.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 11:18:25 PM
I usually take the blades off as I carry 2 other knifes anyway. That leaves more room for other tools I will use.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%