Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Package from SOG today!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Package from SOG today!
on: April 08, 2016, 09:49:04 PM

I'll post some initial impressions shortly.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Package from SOG today!
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 09:56:38 PM
 :popcorn:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 10:01:45 PM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

fi Offline Padre

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 10:32:33 PM
Awesome buy! Wow. Really nice!
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 10:34:57 PM
Have it been shorty yet?
Nice haul Grant!

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 10:42:34 PM
 :popcorn:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 11:16:22 PM
 :gimme:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 11:53:04 PM
I have a few initial thoughts already but I'll post them in a bit- I'm making supper right now.  Meanwhile, here is a few photos showing what I got.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 11:53:52 PM
Couple more...

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 04:50:29 AM
Ok, here are my initial thoughts on the Reactor and the PowerPlay- bear in mind I haven't used them for anything yet, this is just my thoughts on them straight out of the box.:

Reactor:

The Reactor seems like a contender for the Skeletool/Freestyle from Leatherman and the Crucial series from Gerber, and it's an area SOG really hasn't covered sine the Micro Tool Clip.  As you can see from the photo of the box above, the Reactor has an assisted opening blade which snaps open and locks into place with a liner lock.  It also has a double ended bit that stores in one of the handles, but you can't use it there- you pull it out and use the back of the pliers for it in a really ingenious way, but I'll get into that in a minute.

The Reactor is remarkably compact- in fact, it is not much bigger than my regular EDC SAK, a Victorinox Compact.  The plier head is quite ample for a tool this size, and with SOG's compound leverage I can see it handling much larger tasks than most tools it's size.  It also has a pocket clip and it really convenient to carry as it's not much wider than most typical folding knives.

Getting back to the screwdriver, the standard 1/4" hex bit that comes with it is the standard type- flathead on one side and Phillips on the other.  To use it, you open the handles slightly to pull the bit from storage, then, with the handles (and plier head, thanks to the Compound Leverage) still open, you place the bit in between the crotch end of the jaws and close them on the bit.  It's a bit weird to describe, but I'll post photos tomorrow when the light is a bit better.  The long and the short of it is, you are now holding the screwdriver bit in the Compound Leverage jaws, which means that it isn't going anywhere until you want it to.  This may be the absolute strongest screwdriver design ever put on a multitool.

Last but not least is the bottle opener.  It's a small, flip out hook type that you may not notice if you aren't looking for it.  The one on my tool seems very difficult to pop out, but that may not be typical, and it may loosen up with use. 

I really think I'm going to get along well with the Reactor.  It is a small tool but doesn't really have any small tool type limitations- or at least doesn't appear to have any on the surface.  We'll see how actual use varies.

PowerPlay:

The PowerPlay is a larger, full size tool, on par, size wise with the Wingman, Wave or the MultiPlier Series.  I got both versions- no change to the tool, but one version comes with a MOLLE sheath and bit set while the other comes with a hard plastic sheath.  I'll start with the tool first, then discuss the sheaths afterward.

I want to like the PowerPlay- I really do.  All of the things to like about a tool are in it.  It has one handed opening blades (plain edge if you are right handed, serrated blade if you are a lefty) bottle opener, can opener, file, wood saw, awl and a bevy of screwdrivers, both flat and Phillips, all nestled in the handles of a set of compound leverage pliers.

Like the Reactor, the plier head grips standard 1/4" hex bits, so that is definitely a good thing, especially if you bought the one with the bit set.  If not, since it takes standard bits (unlike some other manufacturers who shall remain nameless  :pok:) you can pick up a set of bits virtually anywhere.

Both PowerPlays I got are pretty stiff, but I'm expecting them to loosen up with some use.  Because they are tight, and because the lock release for the blades is basically a steel bar sticking out both sides, I find them somewhat uncomfortable when I try to disengage the tools.  As I said, this might loosen up a bit so it's not a knock just yet.

The small eyeglass screwdriver is extremely fine, as it would have to be to be an eyeglass screwdriver, but I worry about it as it is very long and very thin.  It seems like it would break quite easily, and unlike the more classic SOG offerings, these new tools are not swappable, so if you break it you have to send it in or just deal with having a broken tool.

What's also confusing is why the tools on one handle open from the outside, while the tools on the other open from the inside? 

All in all, the PowerPlay isn't the most exciting tool to come along, but I think it is decent attempt at a new tool.  It seems a bit overly complex, and probably isn't going to be a favorite tool to too many, but is likely to be a good tool for most.  There's not much wrong with it, but there's also little to make it stand out, and the good stuff about it seems like it would outweigh the bad.

Getting on to the sheaths, the MOLLE sheath is really solid feeling.  It is much better quality than the Chinese made Leatherman MOLLE sheath that has been going around the last few years.  It feels more like the old USA made Leatherman MOLLE sheaths, and that is high praise indeed.  It's got a plastic snap on the belt loop instead of a metal one- on the surface I like it better than the metal one, although I don't know what it's going to be like long term, but like everything else, I guess we'll find out.

it set is awesome.  It comes with 12 different bits- 3x flatheads, 3x Phillips, 4x Torx bits and two small hex/Allan type bits.  It also has a magnetic socket adaptor for using sockets with it, which is kind of cool.  Given that the PowerPlay already has a Phillips screwdriver and four (yes, count'em, FOUR) flat heads on board I'm not really sure why you would need so many more in the bit set, but they are there.  Personally I'd like to have seen a few Robertsons in there, but I guess that's because I'm Canadian.

The hard plastic sheath is also really nice.  I am not usually a fan of hard sheaths, but this one seems like it would take a lot of abuse and come back for more.  There are also no sharp, pointy edges that would be uncomfortable on ye olde muffin toppe.  The PowerPlay is secured into the sheath by a rubber band that keeps it in there quite securely.  I have to wonder though, how well it will hold up long term, especially with the bizarre weather extremes experienced in Canada.

All in all I am looking forward to playing with both the Reactor and the PowerPlay.  If I had to choose one or the other as an EDC, I think I'd take the Reactor as it seems to pack an awful lot into a small package and would compliment my Vic Compact nicely.  If I went with the PowerPlay, I think I'd be quite content with either sheath.

That's about it for now.  I'll update this thread with some pics tomorrow and I'll start playing with the tools and see how they actually stack up.

Def

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 05:09:35 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Boss :tu: My Reactor started out really stiff in regards to opening the pliers and deploying the cap-lifter. It's not anymore. The pliers are almost floppy and the cap-lifter has eased up a bit, too, but it's still secure. I have not detected any change in the operation of the blade, which is good because it is Goldilocks
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 12:59:09 PM
Thanks for letting me know. That's good to know.

I really like the Reactor.  It's a nice little tool with a good number of features and a really convenient package.

I think I like the PowerPlay.  The tool itself isn't anything to write home about (except for the screwdriver holder which is awesome) but as I've said a billion times before, the best tool is the one you have with you.  Both sheaths seem like they make the PowerPlay a joy to carry, so it's likely you'll have it simply because it's the most convenient one to grab on the way out the door.

Def

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 03:19:03 PM

I really like the Reactor.  It's a nice little tool with a good number of features and a really convenient package.

I think I like the PowerPlay.  The tool itself isn't anything to write home about (except for the screwdriver holder which is awesome) but as I've said a billion times before, the best tool is the one you have with you.  Both sheaths seem like they make the PowerPlay a joy to carry, so it's likely you'll have it simply because it's the most convenient one to grab on the way out the door.

Def

How's the screwdriver been working for you? Some people have reported that they had to hold the tool really tight for it to work. 

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 04:07:33 PM

Def

How's the screwdriver been working for you? Some people have reported that they had to hold the tool really tight for it to work. 

I'm sure Grant's has still got pretty good retention,seeing as it is a day old, but as mine has broken in, it has more of a tendency to allow the bit to spin while turning. This is a direct relation to the looseness of the pliers. For screws that are really stuck, the Reactor is not a good choice because you need to really squeeze down while turning. But for anything less, it works well with just a firm grip on the tool.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 04:48:09 PM
Honestly, I haven't used any of the tools for anything just yet, but I imagine that will change shortly.

I did however manage to snap some pics.

Safety lock for the assisted opening blade:

Bottle opener folded:

And open:

Blade:

Obligatory crotch shot showing the wire crimpers and the magnetic slot that holds the bit in screwdriver mode:

Screwdriver bit:

And the screwdriver setup:

Compared to my Compact:

http://

Compared to a Freestyle:

Much beefier pliers:

I'll keep an eye on the screwdriver issue as that seems like a serious deal breaker.  I really like this new screwdriver concept, largely because I thought the vaunted SOG Compound Leverage plier head would hold the bit more securely than a Gulag.

Def
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 04:50:54 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 01:19:56 AM
Here are some photos of the PowerPlay:

Screwdriver slot in the plier head:

Crimpers too:

The gears seem to be thinner and smaller than on the PowerLock, but then these also appear to be a harder steel, so I will be interested to see how they manage longer term as well.

Outside opening tools:

Inside opening tools:

Wait, what do you mean by outside and inside opening tools?  Simple....

Some tools open on the outside of the handle while some open from the inside.  I'm not sure how that makes sense myself....

Lock release knobs that are not pleasant to push on:

Two different sheaths:

SOG Sheath on the right, good LM MOLLE sheath in the middle, crappy LM MOLLE sheath on the left.

Backside of MOLLE sheath showing the plastic snap:

Sheath and bitset:

Plastic sheath:

If the rubber retention strap breaks it should be easy enough to replace, either with an official SOG replacement (dunno if they will be available or not) or a rubber band, o ring, or whatever you might have handy.

You can also fit the PowerPlay in the sheath and secure it with the pliers deployed.

There's not a lot to this sheath, but it holds the PowerPlay securely and won't retain moisture or grit, which is a pretty nice feature in it's own right.

Def

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 04:02:25 AM
Those locking nubs on the PowerPlay stick waaayyyyyy out there. Doesn't look very comfortable. and is it me, or does the PowerPlay's file look distinctly unaggressive?

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 04:33:05 AM
I wonder how long it will take before someone mods scissors in it.
It does look nice, but the screw driver issue is not acceptable to me. Maybe if they make an improved version I'll get one.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 05:24:22 AM
Great write up and review. The pictures are worth 1000 words too.

I had considered the power play for a minute or two. But as soon as I got my hands on one, I lost interest quickly. It just didn't "do it" for me. Im sure it would work and wouldn't mind having one in the Arsenal, but I'm ok without for now.  :D

The 4 locking "thumb screws" really felt like there could have been a better way, somehow. not as streamlined and pocket friendly. But with that said. I think both of those sheaths are tits!  :salute:

Do the compound pliers actually work better with there unique assist? I do like that (in theory)

Also is it weird the bit placements. Being at the butt end of the tool, and not sticking out far. Seems the rotational uses with the bits would feel clunky. Any thoughts on that in particular?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 05:25:43 AM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 06:17:48 AM

Do the compound pliers actually work better with there unique assist? I do like that (in theory)

I can't speak for the Reactor or PowerPlay specifically, but they work under the same concept as the other SOG tools I do have, so I will speak on those.

The compound leverage does in fact make a huge difference in gripping ability. My cars battery died this winter, and had to be taken in for a replacement. Because I am a huge dork, I happily ran to my go get my tool collection, to test out my various pliers based tools to unscrew the horribly grimy and very stuck bolts holding the battery down. At the time, I had a Kick (fine serrations), a Rebar (coarser serrations), a needle nose and blunt nosed MP600s, and a SOG PocketPowerPlier. Of all these tools, the only one that could get any purchase was the SOG, because the compund leverage allowed me to get that extra purchase that I needed to grip and turn the bolt without slipping. I love my compound leverage tools, and you should too.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 02:19:10 PM
I used the screwdriver on the Reactor last night to tighten a screw on a faucet knob in the shower I've been working on, and I have noticed that you have to have a good hold on the handles in order to use it.  If you let up on the handles even a little then it allows the bit to spin.  When you are gripping the handles though, this feels like one indestructible screwdriver.

I would think that the PowerPlay would be better for this as the larger, symmetrical handles are easier to hold together than the different sized and shaped handles of the Reactor.  I will say that it was also nice to use a SOG tool with compound leverage and not have the gears dig into my hand during use, like the old PowerLock used to in the days before they introduced gear covers.

I had considered the power play for a minute or two. But as soon as I got my hands on one, I lost interest quickly. It just didn't "do it" for me. Im sure it would work and wouldn't mind having one in the Arsenal, but I'm ok without for now.  :D

This is what a lot of people are likely to think about it.  There's no WOW factor to it.

That having been said, it does have a lot of strong points including both sheath options, the Compound Leverage, the OH opening blades, the screwdriver slot in the plier head, the crimpers, the number of functions available (although TBH, I wish it had scissors too).... it's actually not a bad tool at all, and the Compound Leverage really helps this one hit well above it's weight class.

It reminds me a bit of the Gerber Strata in many ways.  Good solid tool, but flies under the radar an awful lot, and it really shouldn't.

Def

us Offline JPhilip

• New User
  • Regular Guy, Real Estate Broker
Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 07:01:05 PM
Not a fan.
And I really, really wanted to like this. The gripping, even for light use, is awful- it seemed to bite into my hand no matter how I held it. Look at the picture. There is no place smooth to press any kind of gripping pressure. 

Great knife, love the AO, awkward bottle opener, barely serviceable screwdriver, not usable if you have a narrow space longer than half an inch.

This is an amazing idea, but it needs re-working. 
File_002.jpeg
* File_002.jpeg (Filesize: 264.02 KB)
File_003.jpeg
* File_003.jpeg (Filesize: 288.93 KB)
File_001.jpeg
* File_001.jpeg (Filesize: 205.85 KB)
File_000.jpeg
* File_000.jpeg (Filesize: 217.32 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 09:36:05 PM
I can see everything you have pointed out and agree, for the most part.  I don't think the Reactor is a write off due to these issues though. 

The screwdriver reach issue is very common in multitools, so while it is a definite negative, it is also pretty much a typical problem.  I like the AO blade as well, but I think I'd prefer to see no AO model and a bit more effort to make the features it does have a bit more refined.

However, as I said, it's nearest competitor is probably the Freestyle, and even awkward features beat not having them.  The Freestyle doesn't have screwdrivers or a bottle opener.

Def

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 12:10:47 AM
Late reply, but if reach is a problem has anyone tried using two inch bits or more with the Powerplay or Reactor? Like these
If they use standard drivers and you are desperate for reach just throw a couple of these in you pocket and BOOM! Reach. Just curious. I don't have one to test so I can't verify.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 04:53:19 AM
I dont see why they wouldnt work

us Offline Vinjints

Reply #25 on: May 06, 2016, 04:10:50 PM
I'm interested in the bit kit.  My knock on the previous version was that they fell out too easy.  With a magnetic strip, this seems to be a better deal, but I don't see it available for separate purchase from SOG.  Even just the caddy would be nice.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 06, 2016, 04:29:59 PM
Maybe this Victorinox Swisstool Plus Replacement Bit Case Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LZ458G/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_qPklxbJXYABK1
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 06, 2016, 05:59:48 PM
I just picked up 2 bit caddies with a full complement of 16 mic and match bits for $2 from a pawn shop's grab bag tool bin.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%