Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I am in a pickle.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: I am in a pickle.
Reply #30 on: April 14, 2016, 10:31:13 AM
I have a close friend who is an Attorney in state of illinois, I asked for some free advices, he should get back to me tomorrow.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 11:32:36 AM
So isn't receiving a knife like this also illegal? If they illegally shipped it then it is there illegally and no protection exists. Or does that not exist in your law system?
Something  acquired illegally is always illegal?

In this case no. How the law is written you can in fact own one in the confines of your own home. How you get it there may possibly have been illegal, but once the knife is in your home nothing is illegal about it.
Or you could have gotten it before it became illegal.

Knifes and guns don't expire quickly. Here, many have their grandfathers knifes and rifles (including the service-rifle).
e.g. Butterfly knifes became illegal in Switzerland in 2001 but many people owned one at that time
Legal to own and have at home
Illegal to sell, carry, buy, ship etc...
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 02:09:26 PM
So isn't receiving a knife like this also illegal? If they illegally shipped it then it is there illegally and no protection exists. Or does that not exist in your law system?
Something  acquired illegally is always illegal?

In this case no. How the law is written you can in fact own one in the confines of your own home. How you get it there may possibly have been illegal, but once the knife is in your home nothing is illegal about it.
Or you could have gotten it before it became illegal.

Knifes and guns don't expire quickly. Here, many have their grandfathers knifes and rifles (including the service-rifle).
e.g. Butterfly knifes became illegal in Switzerland in 2001 but many people owned one at that time
Legal to own and have at home
Illegal to sell, carry, buy, ship etc...

My point exactly. No one knows how/when you recieved the knife and you never have to volunteer information to incriminate yourself.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 10:20:18 PM
Why not have the seller create a pre-paid shipping label with his name as the sender and the receiver.   EMAIL it to you.  You affix to the package and then drop at a FedEx, Office Depot or such location that handle packages.   
My wife does this all the time with Zappos, even though her name and info is on the label never is she asked provide ID.

*via Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 10:42:32 PM
Why not have the seller create a pre-paid shipping label with his name as the sender and the receiver.   EMAIL it to you.  You affix to the package and then drop at a FedEx, Office Depot or such location that handle packages.   
My wife does this all the time with Zappos, even though her name and info is on the label never is she asked provide ID.

*via Tapatalk

That would still be illegal.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 12:48:13 AM
I have a close friend who is an Attorney in state of illinois, I asked for some free advices, he should get back to me tomorrow.
Finally heard from my friend, based on his freebie advice, I could take one the the following action;
A. Keep it at home as collector piece.
B. Surrender it to local police
C. Shorten the blade to 1.9" to become a California legal switchblade
D. Remove its spring, so it is no longer a switchblade.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #36 on: April 27, 2016, 01:31:20 AM
Finally heard from my friend, based on his freebie advice, I could take one the the following action;

If D is an option, then you can simply remove the spring before you sell/ship it, it wouldn't be a switchblade anymore and no longer subjected to any restriction. Spring of course can be sent later, or in the same package.

But if I were you I'd take A, I'm sure you have another knife or two to use outside home. :D

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: April 27, 2016, 02:39:56 AM

If D is an option, then you can simply remove the spring before you sell/ship it, it wouldn't be a switchblade anymore and no longer subjected to any restriction. Spring of course can be sent later, or in the same package.

But if I were you I'd take A, I'm sure you have another knife or two to use outside home. :D

Very good point. This does not help in returning it though as I doubt they would take a disassembled knife back. He can take the spring out and send it to me though.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #38 on: April 27, 2016, 02:47:22 AM

Very good point. This does not help in returning it though as I doubt they would take a disassembled knife back. He can take the spring out and send it to me though.  :D

Sigh, California.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: April 27, 2016, 02:48:42 AM

Sigh, California.

With the exception of switchblades our knife laws are actually much better than most.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #40 on: April 27, 2016, 03:06:03 AM

Sigh, California.

With the exception of switchblades our knife laws are actually much better than most.

Yeah you have said that before.

Mostly my issues with California revolve around the gun laws.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: April 27, 2016, 03:11:28 AM

Sigh, California.

Yeah you have said that before.

Mostly my issues with California revolve around the gun laws.

I know this all to well my friend. It's unconstitutional in my opinion, but that's all I will say on that.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: April 27, 2016, 06:21:07 AM
Interesting options.

I'd contact the seller and see if they would accept the knife disassembled.

If not then would it be possible to shorten the blade without effecting operation?

It's a cool looking knife but not being able to carry or use is kinda boring. 
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: April 27, 2016, 09:12:15 AM
Did you ever bother to ask local law enforcement. It is hard for me to imagine that they won't allow you to send it back to the vendor, after all you got it by mistake.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #44 on: April 27, 2016, 09:29:30 AM
Did you ever bother to ask local law enforcement.
No...not a good idea. What if they decided to confiscate it?
It is hard for me to imagine that they won't allow you to send it back to the vendor, after all you got it by mistake.
I know but there are plenty of laws in California makes no sense what so ever.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:33:51 AM by Kampfer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: April 27, 2016, 09:48:08 AM
It is hard for me to imagine that they won't allow you to send it back to the vendor, after all you got it by mistake.
That does not seem very cooperative, very sad.

However, that should not be your problem but the Vendors, you are in trouble because he made a mistake not you. They confiscate it, you get a receipt, send the receipt to the vendor. That should be as good as returning the knife.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #46 on: April 27, 2016, 02:06:44 PM
Did you ever bother to ask local law enforcement. It is hard for me to imagine that they won't allow you to send it back to the vendor, after all you got it by mistake.

How would law enforcement know he got it by mistake?

Easier to just confiscate it.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: April 27, 2016, 02:27:05 PM
That does not seem very cooperative, very sad.

However, that should not be your problem but the Vendors, you are in trouble because he made a mistake not you. They confiscate it, you get a receipt, send the receipt to the vendor. That should be as good as returning the knife.

No, no, no. Doesn't work like that and on top of that if they did confiscate it they could and would charge you with a misdemeanor crime as well and you would be in jail.
I'm the milk man!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: April 27, 2016, 03:41:45 PM

Your order should document that.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 03:45:39 PM by Etherealicer »

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #49 on: April 27, 2016, 04:25:36 PM

His order was for a different knife then the one he recieved though.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: April 27, 2016, 04:41:54 PM

His order was for a different knife then the one he recieved though.
And communication with the Vendor.

Besides, if they don't believe your story, they would have to proof otherwise (that sounds like much more work).

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #51 on: April 27, 2016, 05:39:41 PM
And communication with the Vendor.

Besides, if they don't believe your story, they would have to proof otherwise (that sounds like much more work).

They don't, the police would just charge and arrest you, and you have to spend your life savings to prove otherwise.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #52 on: April 27, 2016, 05:46:57 PM
We are not living in a perfect world, where police knows every law in the book...

In fact if they sense something is illegal or dangerous, they would just confiscate it and make arrest, let the DA put together a case.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #53 on: April 27, 2016, 06:57:32 PM
Just go to a police station, with the blade out so that they will see that you are not hiding something,  making sure that you wave the knife around so that they will see that you are not carrying a gun or something suspicious, saying loudly that "If you help me we will all be OK" and they will assist you with that problem.

Wearing a military uniform and having camouflage paint on your face will also earn their respect and encourage them to take you seriously.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: April 27, 2016, 07:00:50 PM
Just go to a police station, with the blade out so that they will see that you are not hiding something,  making sure that you wave the knife around so that they will see that you are not carrying a gun or something suspicious, saying loudly that "If you help me we will all be OK" and they will assist you with that problem.

Wearing a military uniform and having camouflage paint on your face will also earn their respect and encourage them to take you seriously.

:facepalm:

:rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #55 on: April 27, 2016, 07:25:08 PM
I took the knife a part and shipped it off to the seller for a refund.
Now it could be illegal for him putting it back together, but that is not my problem anymore.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: April 27, 2016, 08:53:27 PM
Now it could be illegal for him putting it back together, but that is not my problem anymore.

Thats a great solution.  Hope you can get the knife you actually ordered  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #57 on: April 27, 2016, 09:14:19 PM

Thats a great solution.  Hope you can get the knife you actually ordered  :tu:
I am going to get it from someone else. :td:

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #58 on: April 27, 2016, 09:28:32 PM
From subject line I thought I'd see this .......

* in_a_pickle.jpg (Filesize: 45.71 KB)
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%