Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM by the numbers for OPT badge request

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
LM by the numbers for OPT badge request
on: April 13, 2016, 05:47:19 PM

I have been hunting the Leatherman Numbers OPTs for a while now and got my final piece last week :ahhh

Official Pic for the badge request

All of my Leatherman BTNs

All my OPT and KC tools

Drawers dedicated to the addiction

I think they are the easiest form of MTs to collect and everyone should.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Re: LM by the numbers for OPT badge request
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 03:32:43 AM
Awesome collection!  :drool:

Thanks Mate  :cheers:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 03:40:41 AM
Nice, I like the 11.   :gimme:   :gimme:   Badge awarded!   :tu:

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 07:44:25 AM

Thanks Z  :cheers:  I call the #11 the black sheep of the family  >:D  My favorite is the #5 aka mini Croc even though it's design is flawed.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 07:56:25 AM

My favorite is the #5 aka mini Croc even though it's design is flawed.

It is? What's wrong with it?  :think:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 04:21:08 PM
Great collection. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 04:52:45 PM
Great collection- I am curious about a few pieces in there though, like the wrench in the upper left corner and the fork thing near the cards at the bottom, just right of center, between what looks like a Coke bottle and a red fish...

Any chance of getting a piece by piece tour?  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 10:47:25 PM
Great collection- I am curious about a few pieces in there though, like the wrench in the upper left corner and the fork thing near the cards at the bottom, just right of center, between what looks like a Coke bottle and a red fish...

Def

Leatherman Grind?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 03:44:01 AM
I was thinking the thing that kind of looks like a couple of wrenches riveted together.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 03:48:01 AM

Sorry for the late reply, was out on a trip. The problem is that the driver and the scraper are parallel and depending on what you use it for they interfere with each other. I will try and post some pics to illustrate.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 04:13:41 AM

Def

Leatherman Grind?

You are correct  :clap:

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 04:18:58 AM

Def

Leatherman Grind and Oakley Golf Divot Tool :) Got two close up pics I got for other threads last year. Would love to do a piece by piece tour but I will bore you to death.  Will do some group pics later instead.

LMGrind.JPG
* LMGrind.JPG (Filesize: 363.18 KB)
EDC100215.JPG
* EDC100215.JPG (Filesize: 93.87 KB)

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 04:20:39 AM

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 07:34:16 PM

Sorry for the late reply, was out on a trip. The problem is that the driver and the scraper are parallel and depending on what you use it for they interfere with each other. I will try and post some pics to illustrate.

Pic 1 - Work fine on raised heads.
Pic 2 - Barely works on flush heads. Will not work on anything deeper.
Pic 3 - The Croc has the same issue as well. All in all they complement regular MTs with good drivers. Not a deal breaker.

LMMiniCroc1.JPG
* LMMiniCroc1.JPG (Filesize: 101.9 KB)
LMMiniCroc2.JPG
* LMMiniCroc2.JPG (Filesize: 95.55 KB)
LMMiniCroc3.jpg
* LMMiniCroc3.jpg (Filesize: 118.73 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 09:13:46 PM
I doubt anyone here would be bored going piece by piece.  I don't know if you know this, but this is a multitool forum.   :pok:

Def

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 04:00:40 AM
I still want to give the Leatherman 6 a shot... That is the one that interests/intrigues me the most..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 09:05:31 PM
Impressive collection, Sir!

Great to see all those nice tools.  :tu:

A very well earned badge ...  :hatsoff:  :cheers:
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 10:50:48 PM
I still want to give the Leatherman 6 a shot... That is the one that interests/intrigues me the most..

You are not alone. I believe #6 is the most popular from what I have seen hunting for these.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 10:52:39 PM
Impressive collection, Sir!

Great to see all those nice tools.  :tu:

A very well earned badge ...  :hatsoff:  :cheers:

Thanks you  :cheers:

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 10:58:17 PM

Here are close ups of the OPT and Key Chain MTs. I also included my Eating and Card MTs. I tried to group them in some logical order and wrote down my thoughts on some of them. Not quite what the boss wanted but close enough I guess.

These are Pocket Tools geared towards a specific sport. They are all Leathermans except for the Park Tool Cycling wrench and the Trek with Duct Tape wrapped. The Leatherman Mako Ti on the top left is the only tool in the lot which is Titanium and one of my favourite pieces. It's not that parctical in use but it looks very cool and unique as far as cycling MTs go.

You will notice that Leatherman created two for each sport. A bigger and a smaller version of the same. Why only these specific sports? From what I have read these were influenced by Tim Leatherman's son who is into sports on boards. Not sure if it's true though.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 11:00:59 PM

Here are three rescue tools. The Leatherman Z-Rex looks very practical with a carbide glass breaker and O2 wrench. The CRKT(silver) and the Fury(black) on the second row are truely pocket size but no glass breakers. At least you will be able to use the loop cutter to free yourself and reach other items in your glove compartment.

It is very common to see animal shapes in this form of MTs. Here are a few I have. You will notice that the Croc, Piranha and Piranha II has followed an evolution pattern even though the Croc came out after the Piranha.

Then there are the odd balls. By looks they do not look like MTs but they are. The LEGO is specifically designned to assist tearing apart LEGO builds. The Oakley is a Golf divot tool and is also a shoe horn. The Sears-Craftsman has drivers in a disk meant to be worn as a dog tag. I have had this for over 15 years and shows that wearable tools is nothing new.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 11:04:55 PM

Next is MTs based around Food and Beverage. In the first row are cap lifters with other tools. In case you are wondering why the Coke bottle opener made the cut, it is also a paper weight. It is very heavy for it's size.

In the second row are Eating utensils with tools cut out. The nicest of the lot is the MSR spoon at the end. A full size SS spoon with tools to fix your MSR stove.

In the third row are my other sporks. As you can see I am a big fan of Sporks. I even collect the plastic disposable ones. Love them and use them a lot, even in the house and they make my wife go  ::)

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 11:12:24 PM

Finally the Card MTs. In my opinion Card MTs are not practical at all. But it has the coolness factor in spades and that's why I collect them. I can go on and on about them but will try to keep it brief.

Wallet Ninja - This was my first card MT. Lost it and when looking for a replacement they had it in Camo. Being a Camo Junkie I had to get that ofcourse.

Wallet Waiter - These are made by a guy in Florida. You can select any paint scheme and he will print it on the card for you. I did the desert camo and asked him to print Wallet Waiter to pair it
with my Camo Wallet Ninja. How is this a MT? It is also a coaster :)

Magnicard - A magnifying card for reading with a nice LED light too. I love this thing and with my failing vision it is very useful.

Animal Shapes - Just like the key chain MTs Card MTs that are shaped like animals seem to be popular. I think the Hedgehog is a very good idea. I remember having a plastic comb in my pocket as a teen. Wish I had this then.

Wallet - It is the Financial Tool by Nite Ize to replace your traditional Wallet. A very recent purchase and have been using this for about two weeks now. Pulling out the specific card you want is a pain. It does dissapears in your front jeans pocket which is nice. To be honest if you carry a key chain MT (which we all do, right) you can just use a rubber band to bundle your cards and cash to get the same result.

Survial Cards - The Card MTs at the bottom are part of my fire kits. The idea is to use the magnifying glass as a fire starter. Out of this lot Rothco Card is very interesting. Comes with two magnifying glass that you can fold up and it alligns in a straight line to be used as a telescope. It also has an invisible ink pen and a UV light to read your invisible messages. I have no idea why this will be useful, lol. A James Bond like gadget for us gadget junkies :ahhh

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 12:04:57 AM
I haven't seen any of those board tools in person yet and while I would like to try them out I doubt any of them would end up being used.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 07:22:40 AM
I haven't seen any of those board tools in person yet and while I would like to try them out I doubt any of them would end up being used.

They seem to be very thought out tools by the looks of it. Forgot to mention that you can fit in a Style CS/PS in the Hail and Jam tools. I am not into any boards sport so have no idea how often your equipment needs tweaking to justify having these with you.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 12:14:56 PM

They seem to be very thought out tools by the looks of it. Forgot to mention that you can fit in a Style CS/PS in the Hail and Jam tools. I am not into any boards sport so have no idea how often your equipment needs tweaking to justify having these with you.

I do all three of those and the gear does need adjusting however their design does not look like it would suit me very well.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%