Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Embarassing Confession....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Embarassing Confession....
on: April 14, 2016, 02:45:20 PM
When I opened the Package from SOG last week I pulled out the big stuff and was in a hurry to start playing with them that I didn't look through the rest of the box.  Then, yesterday when I was pulling out the paper used to keep the tools from bouncing around, I found this:

Yup, there was an extra bonus tool in the package- the SOG MACV Tool.  According to the package it has 12 functions, which are:

1- 1/4" Wrench
2- 5/16" Wrench
3- 3/8" Wrench
4- Large Flathead Screwdriver
5- Carbide Sharpener
6- Bottle Opener
7- Phillips Screwdriver
8- 1/4" Hex Driver
9- Nail Puller
10- Pry Bar
11- Small Flathead Screwdriver
12- Cord cutter

See?

I wasn't making that up.... :D

The first thing you notice about the MACV is that it is actually pretty small and very light.  According to my scale it weighs in at a whopping 17.6g or 0.62oz, which is only slightly heavier than a house key.

I'm not entirely certain what the reasoning behind the 1/4" wrench and 1/4" bit driver are, since they are exactly the same function, except one is boxed and the other is open.  I have tried a 1/4" bit in both and I find they both seem to work as well as the other.

I do however really like the carbide sharpener option on this.  I haven't used it on anything yet, but my trusty Compact needs a touch up after some recent reno work at home, so I'll be sure to tough it up on MACV and see how it compared to my trusty Lansky Blade Medic that has been handling most of my sharpening duties recently.

One thing all multitools require is a bottle opener- if it doesn't open a beverage then it is completely useless (apparently) and the MACV won't be outdone.  One thing to note on the MACV though is that unlike a lot of OPT's, the MACV bottle opener sticks out a bit.  I imagine this makes it a more effective bottle opener, but does it make it less convenient to carry?  Time will tell...

With an MSRP of about $13 the MACV isn't the greatest tool out there, but dollar for dollar it seems like it would have an awful lot of others beat. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Embarassing Confession....
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 02:49:20 PM
I like it! I like how it looks like the old patch.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 04:04:26 PM
I'm not embarrassed to say I dig skulls and this looks like a fun tool to add to the collection. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 06:07:35 PM
It is certainly a lot better than the skull tools I got for the $2 Challenge.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 07:20:50 PM
I got one from Lowes (with a cheap knife) a few weeks ago. I gifted the blade but kept the MACV. It's not my favorite, but as OPTs go, it's a decent offering. I love that they have included a sharpener. I just dislike all the pokey-action; it gets hung up in pocket too easily. I'd like to see SOG try again, but make something more pocket friendly

I think it is very understandable to have overlooked the MACV when you have a Reactor and TWO PowerPlays distracting you! Lol
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 01:26:59 AM
The sharpest knives I have ever gotten consistently out of the box have been from SOG.  All other quality knives come sharp, but SOG, for me at least have always been above average, with some being far beyond anything else I've ever had.

So when I get something from them with a sharpener, I take it seriously.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%