Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Homemeade Kydex Sheaths mentioned in William Gibsons 'The Peripheral'

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Quote from pg 94 of 'The Peripheral' by William Gibson -

'He held it as if the head were the T-shaped top of a walking stick, which meant its edges were clipped into a kydex mini-sheath he or one of the others had made. Making thermo plastic sheaths and holsters was a hobby of theirs, like macrame or quilting. Leon teased them about merit badges.

I like to think William Gibson may have paid a visit to this fine forum.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
 :tu:  Nice find.  Not read that one yet, must get a copy.

There's a passage in Pattern Recognition that describes one of the characters, Konrad, using a Spyderco Sharpmaker, though the sharpening rods are placed in triangular holes in a table rather than a separate base.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
:tu:  Nice find.  Not read that one yet, must get a copy.

There's a passage in Pattern Recognition that describes one of the characters, Konrad, using a Spyderco Sharpmaker, though the sharpening rods are placed in triangular holes in a table rather than a separate base.
Ah, yes......Konrad. He's actually featured in 'All Tomorrow's Parties'. I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley. Not that I'd even get a chance to see him......
I read that Konrad was based on an FBI sniper Gibson met one time.

All Tomorrows Parties is good for watches too, and I think there's mention of a SAK early on in the story. He likes his kit does Gibson.

I'd recommend 'The Peripheral' - just reading it through for the second time after rereading 'Zero History'. Classic Gibson.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 01:51:48 PM by magentus »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Ah yes, All Tomorrow's Parties - not Pattern Recognition.  Oops. :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Ah yes, All Tomorrow's Parties - not Pattern Recognition.  Oops. :tu:
:salute: So many good characters in each book, no wonder we get confused!

What's your fave WG book H?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
I was just thinking about that.  I like all of them (though never got on with The Difference Engine) but my favourite book is Neuromancer, and it's a toss up between Johnny Mnemonic and Burning Chrome for the short story.  I think it's the early, very distant cyberpunk of the Sprawl I prefer rather than the near-future setting of the Bridge and later books.

Favourite character is Molly.  Just love the whole mirror shades/razor blade nails thing.

What about you?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 02:26:16 PM by hiraethus »

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
haven't read william gibson in years, must go through my boxes in the attic see what I have of him . . . . mind you, I'm still only half way through Ray Mears.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
I was just thinking about that.  I like all of them (though never got on with The Difference Engine) but my favourite book is Neuromancer, and it's a toss up between Johnny Mnemonic and Burning Chrome for the short story.  I think it's the early, very distant cyberpunk of the Sprawl I prefer rather than the near-future setting of the Bridge and later books.

Favourite character is Molly.  Just love the whole mirror shades/razor blade nails thing.

What about you?
I've tried 'The Difference Engine' so many times - can't get on with it either.

The book I keep going back to is 'All Tomorrow's Parties' though I don't know why, and my fave character is Tito from 'Spook Country' closely followed by Milgrim from the same book, and Hollis Henry - all reluctantly involved protagonists.

Burning Chrome is the only one I still don't have but I've listened to the audiobook many times while trying to sleep. It'll turn up in a charity shop one day.

My wife got us tickets to see Gibson in Bath on the 'Peripheral' signing tour so I have a nice signed copy. He also signed 'ATP' for me and 'PR' for my wife as that's her favourite one. Nice chap.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
haven't read william gibson in years, must go through my boxes in the attic see what I have of him . . . . mind you, I'm still only half way through Ray Mears.
There's a reason why you're only half way through Ray's book. Do yourself a favour and get your Gibson out E-Mozzle.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Ok, how did I miss this?
I think I´ve read all books and most short stories by Gibson. The Peripheral seems to have passed me by outside of my field of vision...
I´ll have a look if it is a vailable as an eBook and will order a printed version.

While I really dig the Cyberpunk stories (Neuromancer Trilogy and various short stories), the newer books are giving me shivers because they seem so real in their underlying paranoia and general feel.

I loved the metaphors he invented, still like to re-read passages or whole books and stories of the CP era.
In his later books he uses modern technical developments very naturally, not as a staffage. I was thrilled when I found out that the foil blimps are real and the use of Ipods instead of implanted 2GB Mnemonic Harddrives are taking the realism to a far more credible level, if you know what I mean.

Nothing against a cool run in Cyberspace, using Monofilament cutters to kill people and talk to an ex-Navy Dolphin, but the new stories are far more subtle and well written, IMHO.
Oh, and for the real retro feel while reading, I suggest Billy Idols´Cyperpunk and Cassandra Complex Cyberpunx. 

BTW, I did like the collection "Mistrust that particular flavour" - Most of us should be able to relate to his watch/ebay addiction. Read it! :pok:

Molly Millions is a favourite of mine, too. Maybe because I was a Teenager when I read about a girl in tight leather with mirrored eye temples for the first time?!  :D

I still think Neuromancer would deserve to be a Movie.

Sorry for rambling. There were a few moments across the books where the description of equipment and accesories struck me as very exact, although sometimes only a few words long. I´ll keep my eyes open while reading the Peripheral.

BTW: Do we have a SciFi Book/story discussion thread already?!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Ok, how did I miss this?
I think I´ve read all books and most short stories by Gibson. The Peripheral seems to have passed me by outside of my field of vision...
I´ll have a look if it is a vailable as an eBook and will order a printed version.

While I really dig the Cyberpunk stories (Neuromancer Trilogy and various short stories), the newer books are giving me shivers because they seem so real in their underlying paranoia and general feel.

I loved the metaphors he invented, still like to re-read passages or whole books and stories of the CP era.
In his later books he uses modern technical developments very naturally, not as a staffage. I was thrilled when I found out that the foil blimps are real and the use of Ipods instead of implanted 2GB Mnemonic Harddrives are taking the realism to a far more credible level, if you know what I mean.

Nothing against a cool run in Cyberspace, using Monofilament cutters to kill people and talk to an ex-Navy Dolphin, but the new stories are far more subtle and well written, IMHO.
Oh, and for the real retro feel while reading, I suggest Billy Idols´Cyperpunk and Cassandra Complex Cyberpunx. 

BTW, I did like the collection "Mistrust that particular flavour" - Most of us should be able to relate to his watch/ebay addiction. Read it! :pok:

Molly Millions is a favourite of mine, too. Maybe because I was a Teenager when I read about a girl in tight leather with mirrored eye temples for the first time?!  :D

I still think Neuromancer would deserve to be a Movie.

Sorry for rambling. There were a few moments across the books where the description of equipment and accesories struck me as very exact, although sometimes only a few words long. I´ll keep my eyes open while reading the Peripheral.

BTW: Do we have a SciFi Book/story discussion thread already?!
Great post lowtech.

I agree with you about the contemporary books - The 'Pattern Recognition', Spook Country' and 'Zero History' trilogy is so full of interesting stuff - I always read them with Wikipedia open on my laptop so I can see what an Ekronoplan is or a Curta calculator. He has an eye for the zeitgeist!

I'd recommend 'The Peripheral'. It's a return to the Bridge sort of, but is set in 2 futures. Great characters and ideas.

I will look for 'Mistrust' as well if you recommend it.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Thank you very much, I thought it was more of a rambling mess without much continuity, but it´s good to know it made some sense.  ;)

An Ekranoplan is a cool thing which would deserve athread on it´s own. Although I think I´d prefer Bruce Waynes Tumbler over it...

Back on topic (well, at least back to Mr. Gibson...) I found out an eBook is available for my Tolinpo and I´ll be ordering a Paperback edition in my Bookstore next week. I will buy another one when it is available in German, too.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Thank you very much, I thought it was more of a rambling mess without much continuity, but it´s good to know it made some sense.  ;)

An Ekranoplan is a cool thing which would deserve athread on it´s own. Although I think I´d prefer Bruce Waynes Tumbler over it...

Back on topic (well, at least back to Mr. Gibson...) I found out an eBook is available for my Tolinpo and I´ll be ordering a Paperback edition in my Bookstore next week. I will buy another one when it is available in German, too.
I'm interested to hear what you make of the new book lowtech.

As well as the ekronoplan I love 'The Hook' (MI26) - The Russians have some seriously good vehicles!

It's my birthday next month and I'm asking for 'Burnt Chrome' and 'Mistrust That Particular Flavour' which are the only ones I haven't read.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Burning chrome is one of the short stories, isn´t it? I remember fractures of it and think I´ll re-read it in the next days. Thanks for the nudge!
I did like the stories and essays in Mistrust.... very much. Please let us know what you do think about the eBay and watch collection pieces inside!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Burning chrome is one of the short stories, isn´t it? I remember fractures of it and think I´ll re-read it in the next days. Thanks for the nudge!
I did like the stories and essays in Mistrust.... very much. Please let us know what you do think about the eBay and watch collection pieces inside!
Burning Chrome is a short story but is also the title of the collection of several short stories -
"Johnny Mnemonic"
"The Gernsback Continuum"
"Fragments of a Hologram Rose"
"The Belonging Kind," with John Shirley
"Hinterlands"
"Red Star, Winter Orbit," with Bruce Sterling
"New Rose Hotel"
"The Winter Market"
"Dogfight," with Michael Swanwick
"Burning Chrome"

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Right you are. In german the collection is called differently, I think simply Cyberpunk?! I think I don´t have this collection in english, maybe I should browse 2nd hand bookstores for it. I try to read books originally written in english in their native language, too as the translation sometimes alters the style or small details and sentences to make it more fluent in german or uses another expression if the english text uses terms or expressions not translateable.

BTW, I did download the eBook but did not have time to read a page yet. Looking forward to teh Peripheral!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Right you are. In german the collection is called differently, I think simply Cyberpunk?! I think I don´t have this collection in english, maybe I should browse 2nd hand bookstores for it. I try to read books originally written in english in their native language, too as the translation sometimes alters the style or small details and sentences to make it more fluent in german or uses another expression if the english text uses terms or expressions not translateable.

BTW, I did download the eBook but did not have time to read a page yet. Looking forward to teh Peripheral!

Ha! young kids and reading anything other than 'The little hedgehog who climbed a hill' is very difficult! My little one is 18 now and I miss reading to her, but have enjoyed time to read my own books again.

What other sci fi are you into?

I'm a big Dune fan and also love Iain M Banks, but Gibson is my hands down favourite.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Excerpt from 'All Tomorrows Parties':

"Why did you ask me here, Laney? This is a terrible place. Do you wish me to help you escape?" Yamazaki is thinking of the blades of the Swiss Army knife in his pocket. One of them is serrated; he could easily cut his way out through the wall.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD